Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hunting on public land in my neighborood (200+ acres), and I am starting to seriouly hunt it next year. I'm gonna be putting in 2 little 1/4 acre clover plots in the woods. So would it be better to have two lock on stands, two ladder stands, one of each, or a climber? What's y'all's opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,949 Posts
Hang ons are much more versatile. A climber or some sticks will keep you mobil all season.
 

·
Proverbs 21:19
Joined
·
9,581 Posts
I'm a climber guy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Climbers have always worked great for me. A great bonus with one of them is that the only way some anus wad can steal your stand is if they knock you down & take it off your back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,167 Posts
Climber is the best all around stand. You nay run into problems with planting such a small plot. Deer may wear it out before it's 4" tall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
I use ladders, climbers, hang on stands, and a web. If I'm going into hunt an area that I may not be the most familiar with, or taking a different approach to an area based on observed deer movement, I will take in sticks and the web.

Sticks and a web are the most versatile setup I have, just about any tree will do for the setup and you spend less time picking the "right tree" to climb, and more time sitting still and waiting. Public land would more than likely be the web and sticks, or climber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,248 Posts
Climber is the best all around stand. You nay run into problems with planting such a small plot. Deer may wear it out before it's 4" tall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
not really. a loc on with sticks is better than a climber. I can get into any tree you can with my lone wolf and sticks. you can't get in any tree that I can with your climber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,600 Posts
not really. a loc on with sticks is better than a climber. I can get into any tree you can with my lone wolf and sticks. you can't get in any tree that I can with your climber.
true that.

if a tree is not climbable for the climber stands. i'll bet you can/will get in that tree with sticks and a lock type stand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,400 Posts
true that.

if a tree is not climbable for the climber stands. i'll bet you can/will get in that tree with sticks and a lock type stand
A lot really depends on the particular woodlot.
I hunt a couple that are loaded with straight walnuts, hickory and second-growth maples.
Almost all of them are climbable with only a bit of trimming.
Other woodlots-not so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
Climber


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Strictly Public Land
Joined
·
12,304 Posts
If you have access to straight trees that are limbless for 18-20 feet I would say a climber is the most versatile. But I like to have a mobile set up of a lone wolf hang on and 4-5 sticks and a XOP sit and climb for comfort and very mobile in 95% of the properties I hunt so I use the climber the most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Y'all keep saying food plots are a waste of time, but only me and one other guy hunt back there. So it's a little secret spot, It's right behind my friend's house
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,948 Posts
true that.

if a tree is not climbable for the climber stands. i'll bet you can/will get in that tree with sticks and a lock type stand
I can easily get into any tree with my Summit Viper and LW sticks. It's much easier than you would think but I only do it for all day hunts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,948 Posts
In my area the trees are very climber friendly so that's what I use 90% of the time. The other 10% I use hang on and sticks for short sits.
 

·
Liv4Rut
Joined
·
7,291 Posts
food plots on public are illegal around here but as far as stands go I like a hang on and sticks. If I had a woods though where every tree I wanted to hunt a climber would work then that is what I would use. Around here that just is not the case.
 

·
Bloody Arrow = Happiness!
Joined
·
5,435 Posts
A cheap Academy hangon and a set of Leverage sticks with the rope mod. Goes up fast and can hang it in just about any tree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,600 Posts
I can easily get into any tree with my Summit Viper and LW sticks. It's much easier than you would think but I only do it for all day hunts.
why would you want to fight with you're summit viper up in the tree? sounds like a lot of work for just 1 all sit? i use hang ons only with an mounting bracket for easy hanging.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top