Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Climber / Hang on / Ladder?

I have never hunted from a treestand before. I moved to Ohio from the West coast last year and have always done spot and stalk or ambush from ground blind.

I was originally thinking about a ladder stand because I was assuming ease of use and safety however I'm concerned about not being mobile enough, stuck to one location. Now I'm thinking climber for mobility.

If it makes a difference, I'm a pretty big dude, 6'10" about 250lbs. I appreciate any advice or direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am 5’10” and have several Gorilla Kong hang on stands. If I need to go mobile, I have the Silverback in aluminum. I use an additional ratchet strap for additional safety and stability. At 6’10’’ you may you may be little cramped with a seat height of 20”. I have Loggy Bayou climber that works.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What type of area are you hunting? Is it public or private? you cant beat ladder stand for safety if you are hunting private propertry. If it is public, you will need a climber or a hang on. My favorites are the summit openshot and tthe lone wolf assualt w/ lone wolf climbing sticks

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you are not worried about thieves, then a fixed treestand by far is the way to go in my opinion. If you know the area will produce deer and then hang a fixed stand and padlock it down. That does not always work though. Most folks carry bows or guns in the woods, I found out the hard way some folks carry bolt cutters!!!!!..:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fortunate to have been given permission for private property. I will be the only one on the land. It's about a 30 acre stand of hardwoods surrounded by 500 acres of corn and soybeans.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Very nice!!!!!!
I live in Ohio as well. It sounds like you have a great spot. I would go with ladder stands. They are the safest/ easiest to get in and out of. The only issue us that they need 2 people or an additional ladder to set up. I saw some advertised here in columbus recently for $60

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you are looking for all day comfort I would go with a treewalker climber. At your height you could set the seat at any height.
If you do not want the hassle of packing and setting a stand everytime go with a hang on and sticks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I really like the ladder stands they go up easy and are very sturdy. If your worried about moving them that is not much of a problem they break down easy and you just carry them to your new spot.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have all three.I don't even use the climber as I am a pretty good size guy weighing in at 260.Platform to small for me.The ladder stand a like but seem to be a little noisy sometimes getting in and out.The one I like the most is my Gorilla King Kong.Dead silent.Huge base 24x30 with a seat I think is 19" wide with 3" padding.I put the footrest on it and I'm telling you what I can sit all day long with NO fatige.I feel safe and confident in this stand.Try one you won't regret it.I promise.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,261 Posts
Lonewolf Hand climber. I put off buying one for a long long time because they cost quite a bit more than other brands. But, I finally decided to give one a try last year and in the long run it will SAVE you money because you won't have 2 or 3 others you are looking at and you can sell the ones taking up space in your garage. They are very light, very quiet to set up and climb and they have a really low profile which I like for bow hunting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for your time. Still not sure which direction to go.

Buy 1 climber
Buy a couple hang on's
Buy a couple ladders

·
Registered
685 Posts
i have ladders and climbers and im not a big fan of hang ons. I went out with a buddy to put some up and even though i didnt help cause i really didnt know how to hang on they looked like a pain compared to a ladder i think ladders are the best way i also have a lonewolf but unless you have alot of trees to limb go with a ladder.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
New2Whitetails said:
I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for your time. Still not sure which direction to go.

Buy 1 climber
Buy a couple hang on's
Buy a couple ladders
That's what I would recomend...use all three. That way you can move around with the wind and changing feeding patterns.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
unfourtunatly just because you are the only one to have permission i would not feel secure in leaving a stand up on private ground, i have had several stands stolen here in ohio, with me being the only person with permission. with that said i have a climber and a portable, i mostly use the climber when going into a place for the first time and while gun hungint!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I love my Summit climbers, can't say enough about them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts