Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys,
Need some advice on vanes. I am using Bohning ice vanes with my carbon 1 shafts (shooting compound). I am happy with the performance but want to try something different. I was thinking either Bohning Impulse Deux or Bohning X Vanes Shield Cut 2.25"s. I am using the ice vanes with a right helical but due to the low profile the helical is almost non-existent.
Also. Can I use either of them with my recurve shafts (Easton Apollos)?

PS: I am shooting FITA targets up to 90M.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
If your shooting them off the shelf with a recurve , no you will need feathers.
As far as which vane, your personal choice. IMHO your not going to see a lot of difference. By the way in my opinion helical helps no matter what style of fletching.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The ones you mention are all good. Give them a try and see what you like best.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,601 Posts
I'm using 2 1/4" Bohning Shield cuts, set helical, and my arrows fly great. I'm using these on log type target arrows, .414" in diameter.
The Impulse, whether 3 or 4", is one of the lowest profile vane on the market. If I were to use the Impulse it would be the 4" and set helical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not a real experienced field shooter myself. Just tried it, and liked it by the way, this summer. I am using 1.8 Duravanes and they are working wonderfully. But I did have my doubts before using them since I started archery as a hunter and had used much, much larger fletchings before that.

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,904 Posts
If your shooting them off the shelf with a recurve , no you will need feathers.
As far as which vane, your personal choice. IMHO your not going to see a lot of difference. By the way in my opinion helical helps no matter what style of fletching.
Once again Dale acts with only part of the info.

So, OP, when you say "recurve" are you talking about shooting off the shelf or using a plunger and a rest?

I shot the Carbon One .410 out of a compound with the X-Vane shield cut vanes. 1.5" length. I wanted as little wind resistance as possible. They worked very well.

Then I shot the AAE EP-16 and I really liked the way they performed.

Then I went to a FITA bow and now I shoot spin wings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will build the same arrows with 2 or 3 different vane setups and shoot them and see which groups better or flies better or whatever other characteristic I might be looking for for that particular setup. I enjoy the trial and error of it and building arrows is therapeutic for me. Like hunter9264 said try them all you might be surprised by the results you get from each setup.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
I keep getting unsuprised by feathers, hard to beat them!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Flex fletch 187's

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
Once again Dale acts with only part of the info.

So, OP, when you say "recurve" are you talking about shooting off the shelf or using a plunger and a rest?

I shot the Carbon One .410 out of a compound with the X-Vane shield cut vanes. 1.5" length. I wanted as little wind resistance as possible. They worked very well.

Then I shot the AAE EP-16 and I really liked the way they performed.

Then I went to a FITA bow and now I shoot spin wings.
And as usually only read what you wanted out of my response. Note I said "IF" he shoots off the shelf.
I will also agree feathers works best off everything, my fletch of choice.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
My wife and I have had exceedingly great luck with the 2.25 shield cut Bohning vanes you mention.
I also have had great luck with the shield cut 1.5, but bow needs to be tuned really spot on for your shot for those little ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I think I will try the X Vanes Shield Cut 2.25. I might build my recurve arrows with the same and try.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hay guys,
Need some advice on vanes. I am using Bohning ice vanes with my carbon 1 shafts (shooting compound). I am happy with the performance but want to try something different. I was thinking either Bohning Impulse Deux or Bohning X Vanes Shield Cut 2.25"s. I am using the ice vanes with a right helical but due to the low profile the helical is almost non-existent.
Also. Can I use either of them with my recurve shafts (Easton Apollos)?

PS: I am shooting FITA targets up to 90M.

Cheers guys.
With Compound bow I find Sitar & Sitar XS Wings to be the most durable mylar vanes. Mylar vanes give more spin to the arrows. Some mylar vanes are flimsy, so you have been warned. The XS Wings are available from Lancaster Archery. With Recurve bow, whether shooting off the shelf, off a feather rest, or off a flip away rest with plunger, I've always preferred 4" feathers. Feathers will give you more drag in the rain, so you have to keep them dry. As far as using vanes with the recurve, I assume you are considering using the compound bow's arrows. I have never had a recurve and a compound bow together that each shot great with the same arrows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts