Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Taking my 8 yr old son and 19 yr old daughter to local 3D shoots. He talks smack like Dennis Rodman! He's become a very accomplished shooter! To see the smile on his face when he gets a trophy or medal! His goal was to place 1st in his division at the NEWAA shoot. He did. To see my daughter beat a manufacture shooter in her division. Even if I shoot bad, I think I've done something right! :D :D :D

74,554 Posts
Wasnt mine but a great highlight

When Jeff Hopkins missed the last shot in Illinois in the shoot down.

Now realizing all he had to do was shoot a five to win.

Dam Mcarthy just shot a 14 and Jeff just flat missed. Him and Nathan both shot a great two day rounds and messed up in the shoot down

It was one of them memorable moments.

· washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
My greatest moment of '04 came at our State Championship 3D (marked yardage). On day 1 I shot with with good friends and had a great time shooting. After day 1 I was 14 points down (on 40 targets) from the two guys that were tied for first. That afternoon I was surprised by my wife who decided to travel down and spend the evening with me going to dinner, and movie and the night at the hotel. We had a great time on our first time out without the three kids in quite a few years.

On day 2 we were flighted in groups of four starting with the top 4 shooters in our division. I was in BHFS and flighted with three great shooters that I'd never shot with in the past. One was LoadToad from right here at AT (in 4th place) and two perenial top BHFS shooters in the state. I was a bit nervous, but so were they. I didn't even want to know what my score was, so I volunteered to call arrows and LoadToad and one of the other guys kept score. I was on fire that day and I couldn't miss. I even 12 ringed a 30 yd downhill beaver. I knew I was shooting good, but never once looked at the score card. In my head I didn't even know if I was up or down.... I just shot.

At the end of the day, when the scores were totalled, I was amazed to find myself the new State 3D Champion in BHFS. I had outscored my nearest competitor by 24 points on day 2 and won with a 10 point cushion.

However, my real highlight of that day was being cast with three other complete strangers who knew we were competing for all the marbles, and coming out very good friends. I have shot against and with them, Tim Holt and Harry Bates, throughout the year and we get along great. These are super guys and I look forward to shooting against them for years to come. Unfortunately LoadToad (Justin Elam) keeps going TDY with the AirForce and I haven't got to shoot with him again.

It will be tough to top 2004. However, 2005 is shaping up to be a knock down, drag out, good time :D We have added another great shooter to the top of the division ranks, AKTIONFIGURE007 from here at AT. There are 4 of us who are always within a couple points of each other at the local 3D's and another half dozen BHFS shooters that crop up near the top. In many places the big competition is in the Open ranks, up here there probably isn't a more competitive class than BHFS.

2005 is going to be fun :D

· Shut up and Shoot!!!
6,257 Posts
My most memorable is on the last day in Vegas this year and after making some changes to my equpiment after I arrived(I knew better, what a dummy) and it really shot well in the practice area. About half way through the game, I let down several times because I took too much weight off my bow and under stress, it increased movement instead of decreasing it like when I was without stress in the practice area. Anyways, let down a third time and when I looked a the clock, it said 14 seconds left. I hurried to draw it back in time and with my new Chocolate Addiction, I touched the trigger at about half draw and launched an air ball. I was so embarrassed and want to find a hole to crawl in. I have shot lots of tourneys and KNEW to shoot what I brung but I didn't. Got caught up in the Vegas atmosphere and thought I made the right changes but in fact, I went the wrong way. Should have added bow weight, added peak weight instead of decreasing it if anything. I will redeem myself at 2005 Vegas.Might not score any better but will definitely handle the metal part better. Bobby Ketcher warned me of mental part at Vegas the year before. He was right.

· Registered
13,177 Posts
Finally listening and realizing that what USED TO WORK when I was shooting top notch scores was NOT WORKING ANYMORE...realized that I would have to learn to walk all over again before I could run without tripping..... :D

Made a complete change to shot seuqence from the ground up. I'm not perfect at it yet by any means....but getting to the point that on the Vegas face, much more often than not, I'll have two out of the 3 shots well into the 10-ring, and the third a gold or an 8 at the widest. When I started the new sequence...it was the other way around...and I was totally frustrated.

Not anymore....archery is fun again, and I'm challenging MYSELF and IGNORING everyone else and shooting for ME for a change...can't do well if I can't satisfy my own needs first.

field14 :eek: :)

· Registered
8,652 Posts
Most Memorable

Shooting the NFAA Outdoor Nationals this year with the two couples we travel with. A great archery event shared with great friends is priceless.
Jbird

· Registered
16,232 Posts
Mine.... Like Dan's...... was at the Illinois Pro-Am.....

Winning the smackdown championship. ;)

Took signed ones from Daniel Boone, Tuckarch, thedarkarcher, and onebowtie.....

And two of these guys are Mathews Pro's so that was pretty special.... :D

· Registered
332 Posts
Mine is shooting a nice 8 pointer during the rut after putting in a lot of time and effort in that area. It always feels better when you really work for it.

· Registered
951 Posts
for me, there are two. one involving my shooting and the other, my involvment in archery in general.

i finally made it to vegas, something i've wanted to do since way back when terry raggsdale won his first time. regaurdless of how well i would do, i wanted to shoot that tournament. i'll be there again this year and hope to do a bit better.also to meet some of the people on this site, last year i kind of kept to myself because i was a newcomer.
secondly, to be be honored with being voted into the vice presidency of my club. i've always wanted to involved with archery in some way more than just shooting. i think that if someone wants thier intrest to perpetuate, it is thier responcibility to do something about it, however they can.

· Banned
2,346 Posts
Going to the NFAA outdoor nationals and IFAA World field archery championships.
I had a great summer!

· Registered
2,404 Posts
After putting in a lot of time working with backtension and spending months shooting at nothing, when I finally moved out to 20 yds. I shot my first 300!! That was my greatest archery moment in 2004, hopefully there is more to come in 05! :D :D
Heather

· Registered
2,151 Posts
Getting back into 3d shooting with my best friend Chuck and my 12yr. old son Cody. We had our moments at a few of the shoots you know dad doesn't know what he's talking about stuff. But at the end of the day I wouldn't have traded these times for anything. Some of the best days of my life were at 3d shoots last year. Now to turn him loose on some Ohio whitetails in '05 oh yeah :D .

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.