Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...it's a 2001 with the SC 2.5R CAM...60-70# (standard 30" draw at tuning specs).

I shoot 28" and since the other CAMS are no longer available from hoyt to get to 28" I'm told by my hoyt dealer they can get the draw to around 28" by using new strings/bus at different lengths.

Is this an acceptable practice? What's the impact on the bow?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Questions and options...

Looking at the charts, even the smallest Saber cam (1.0) only went down to 28.5" with the ProTec/XT3000 limbs. Are you shooting fingers or with a release? You might consider trading for some XT2000 limbs. You'll need a new cable and a string, but with the XT2000 limbs the 2.5 cam will give you about 28.5". I'd much rather tweak the string and/or cable for that last .5 inch instead of a full 2".

I personally would not recommend changing the cable and string lengths to change the draw 2" from spec. You'd likely lose lots of poundage, and the bow would probably be noisier due to the limbs not being prestressed as much. Also the cam would not be as efficient, so expect a fair amount of speed loss. Hoyt made all the different size cams for a reason...they wouldn't if they didn't have to.

Another option would be purchasing a used cam. I'd put an ad in the classified and see what happens.

Good Luck.
CharlieL

P.S. I believe the Excel cam is identical to the Saber. I'm surprised to hear you cannot purchase the Saber cam from Hoyt. I wonder if the Excel cam (2002 model) is still available??? Surely some shops out there must have one. Maybe phone calls to dealers would be productive. The Hoyt website lists their dealers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts