Archery Talk Forum banner

What will sell more bows?

1910 28
It seems that most companies over estimate their IBO speeds. There are different ways of doing it, simply overstating it, extending draw length over advertised draw length, draw weight coming in higher than the IBO spec. I don't care what or why and that's not what I want to discuss. The 09' BowTech bows are apparently coming well above their IBO ratings.

So my question is if you have two bows one rated at 345 IBO and the other rated at 325 IBO yet they consistently come in at the same speed which one will sell more?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
630 Posts
hate to say it but the faster one will probably get more sale's people are addicted to the speed. I mean look at the X force for example

· Registered
6,628 Posts
The 345 fps bow simply because it is rated faster in the spec department. Doesn't matter if it's rated at 345 but only does a legit 315, people will flock to it just because of what it is listed at.

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
Generally the bow that rates faster will sell to the general public better IMO. Go out to an archery range just before bowhunting season and listen to all the goons standing around bragging about thier bows. I'm willing to bet 90% of the overall bragging is about how fast their bow shoots.

Back when I worked at an archery shop the #1 question people asked when they were interested in buying a bow is which bow is the fastest.

· Registered
6,628 Posts
Generally the bow that rates faster will sell to the general public better IMO. Go out to an archery range just before bowhunting season and listen to all the goons standing around bragging about thier bows. I'm willing to bet 90% of the overall bragging is about how fast their bow shoots.

Back when I worked at an archery shop the #1 question people asked when they were interested in buying a bow is which bow is the fastest.

Agreed 100%! The thing that kills me about a lot of those guys is that they were shooting 28" draw lengths with junk all over the string and a 500 grain arrow, yet they would still tell everyone their bow was shooting 350 fps because that is what the ad says it shoots lol

· Registered
5,552 Posts
Not here! If we have a 345 fps rated bow, and it only does 315...thats information I tell my customer. Nothing makes me feel like more of a Jack-arse than to set somebodies new bow up, and finally shoot it through the chronograph, only to find out it is not what they were expecting.

Speed might sell...but truth sells even more!!!

· Patriot
5,055 Posts
Bowtech speeds

Kudos to Bowtech for their realistic (and somewhat underestimated) IBO speed ratings.:band::band:
It seems that most companies over estimate their IBO speeds. There are different ways of doing it, simply overstating it, extending draw length over advertised draw length, draw weight coming in higher than the IBO spec. I don't care what or why and that's not what I want to discuss. The 09' BowTech bows are apparently coming well above their IBO ratings.

So my question is if you have two bows one rated at 345 IBO and the other rated at 325 IBO yet they consistently come in at the same speed which one will sell more?

· Registered
4,178 Posts
The one she is selling :tongue:

Attachments

· Registered
5,552 Posts
Most of the bows we sell make speed! Mathews Drenalin, and DXT are spot on. Bowtech has been correct. Its always been my belief that Hoyt also meets IBO, and makes a fine bow, although we don't sell them!

Only 1 bowline we sell doesn't even come close to IBO spec., and yet makes very nice shooting bows! They also don't meet their advertised mass weight. Strings are less than prefered quality, as is the fit and finish, and yet scads of archers praise this company like the dickens!

So there still is some deception out there, its up to you to sift through it all, or find a quality dealer you can trust to tell you like it is!!!

· Registered
1,978 Posts
95% of the archers out there are "Joe Archers"
95% of "Joe archers" decide on equipment based on magazine and tele ads
95" of "Joe Archers" will never see a chrony.

Ads sell. Proof is in the pudding.:darkbeer:

· Registered
748 Posts
I don't hunt so I guess speed really isn't important to me. Appearance on the other hand is. I not only want the bow to feel good in my hand but I want to like what I'm looking at. I'm not talking about the color or anything truely cosmetic but the design of the bow. I like a long riser with short limbs. Very fond of the Constitution, Apex and even the Commander.

· tmolina
2,075 Posts
ttt

Most of the bows we sell make speed! Mathews Drenalin, and DXT are spot on. Bowtech has been correct. Its always been my belief that Hoyt also meets IBO, and makes a fine bow, although we don't sell them!

Only 1 bowline we sell doesn't even come close to IBO spec., and yet makes very nice shooting bows! They also don't meet their advertised mass weight. Strings are less than prefered quality, as is the fit and finish, and yet scads of archers praise this company like the dickens!

So there still is some deception out there, its up to you to sift through it all, or find a quality dealer you can trust to tell you like it is!!!

Name that company that doesn't meet IBO specs please....Thanks

· tmolina
2,075 Posts
ttt

What brand doesn't meet IBO specs..

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Yeah.... if speed didn't sell, then..........PSE wouldn't compare the x-force to the General in it's ads !!!!:eek: C'mon !!!!!!! They would have compared it to the 82nd !!!!!! BUT....... I guess they couldn't say " X-Force IBO's 348 and the 82nd IBO's at 350 !!!!!!!!!!" :rolleyes: A new guy reading their ad, must assume that they have by far the fastest bow, when that is truly NOT the case !!! hahahahaha :wink: The X-Force is a fast bow, granted, but that type of advertising really upsets me.:mad: Might as well have compared a ferrari to a dodge pickup !!!!!:wink::darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.