Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same old story from another old man... having problems getting good sight picture. Now shooting tru-ball peep(wide open) with HHA single pin(I think it is 5500).. I have seen posts about String Splitter... but wonder if it actually helped an old fart like me to see more clearly.

20-30 yds ok, but after that things get going downhill fast. The more I shoot, the worse it gets... probably eye fatigue. Colorado elk hunting in sept... scopes or red dot not an option(wouldn't want them anyway).

I'm getting eyes checked, but know that problem will still be there... was last year after getting new prescription.:confused:

The moose

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Even with young eyes it is hard to see the pins and target equally well and when we get seasoned it is impossible. The most important thing is to see the front sight (pin) clearly. The rear site (peep) and the target can be slightly blurry as long as the front sight is precise. If you are shooting at an elk or a bullseye the middle of a blur is still the middle. Specialty Archery makes a product called the Verifier Peep. It is like having a reading lens inside your peep. They come in various powers and they bring the pins into sharp focus. On their website they have a list of dealers that stock the product. The dealer will have a kit that lets you look through various lenses at a pin to tell which one you need. If you don't have a dealer anywhere around you can order from the factory. The weakest lense will probably work unless you have a really strong reading prescription. The Verifier is like a small miracle for old eyes and archery. (Do get that eye check-up though to make sure there is nothing else going on.)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sounds like your problem is with the target and not the pins - since you said 20 - 30 yards is okay and after that is bad. The larger the peep, the more blurry your sight picture might get. Try a smaller peep and see if that takes care of it. If not, go to a different optician - I had a similar problem and went to a different optician and my perscription was not right and he fixed me up. I had to pay for two different exams within 1 month, but it was worth it to me.

·
Born To Hunt
6,123 Posts
Glasses

If you dont have no line bifocals, get them maybe you are looking through the glasses where the line is.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If you dont have no line bifocals, get them maybe you are looking through the glasses where the line is.
No, I think that's wrong. You'll be looking well above the bi-focal line. I use tri-focals with no problems with the lines. Also. the no line bifocals have terrible focusing toward the edges of the lens which you will using to aim through. They are only focused well in the center of the lens.
Joe B.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Went to the eye Dr. recently and he did a prescription just for shooting. In the right eye he did the prescription so that my vision was clear at about 28 to 30" and the left he did it at my normal distant vision. I also wear no line bifocals. It works great my pins are clear and the target is slightly fuzzy with only the right eye open. If you can shoot with both eyes open then it helped clear up the target also. The Dr. I saw has done prescriptions for some of the Army marksmanship team, but there are many Dr's who are also bowhunters and understand our problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your help... It sounds like there are no magic pills or a quick add-on for the bow.. I do have a clarifier, but haven't used it for a couple of years.. will break it out and try again. The special made glasses sound like they may be the trick. I'm hesitant to go with a smaller peep due to hunting in the dark timber and early and late shooting hours. My bifocals are the no-line and I do notice that if they slip a little I have to adjust to find the peep and sight clearly. Once again, I appreciate all your collective advice.

The Moose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts