Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the difference as far as killing potential of shooting an arrow weighing 420g 320fps and a 330g arrow at 360fps.. calculator shows the 330g arrow at 95ft #'s of K.E... Just wondering if they would both work well for hunting.. the light arrow still has 70KE at 100yds.. And yeah I know 330 would prob be to light of an arrow for the poundage.. teach me.. !

·
Registered
737 Posts
The heavier arrow penetrates better thanks to the issue of Momentum/

chec Dr Ed Ashby's writings and applied research on the subject

Try WWW.Tred Gang

Three Rivers Archery can help you out

If your shooting Texas deer they will both penetrate the deer...

hogs are different

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
What would be the difference as far as killing potential of shooting an arrow weighing 420g 320fps and a 330g arrow at 360fps.. calculator shows the 330g arrow at 95ft #'s of K.E... Just wondering if they would both work well for hunting.. the light arrow still has 70KE at 100yds.. And yeah I know 330 would prob be to light of an arrow for the poundage.. teach me.. !
Yeah that poor 330 grain arrow would probably just bounce right off any porker.:eek:

There are tests and studies that have shown a lighter/faster arrow penetrates better too. Do a search on here.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
The heavier arrow will penetrate better.

As someone else mentioned, momentum, is critical for arrow penetration.

However, as far as "killing", either arrow, placed well, will pass through and do the trick.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Depends on how far you want to pull it out of the ground after the shot...

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
Depends on how far you want to pull it out of the ground after the shot...
Exactly.

Also 320 fps is sick fast for a hunting arrow. For whitetail deer it's all mute and for heavier game I'd want the heavier arrow @ 320 fps. I'd use the 420 gr arrow even for deer since it's unusual to shoot over 35 yards where I hunt.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
mute point doesn't make any difference pick one and go hunt it.
whatever ya want
JFYI I would pick the 420 at 320.. because I want every bit of downrange monemtuem I can get and the 420 grain at 320 would be more than the 330grain at 360. but that's just me.. :)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree for whitetails the 33g arrow would blow right though on the typical good shot.. But from time to time hunting hogs and Elk keeping the 400+ grain arrow would prob best.. But man shooting 360 would be sweet..!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts