Archery Talk Forum banner

What Would Have Really Happened Pt. 1

614 12
Just came back from the 3D range... I wasn't scoring but determined to make what I consider actual "heart shots." Anyway, I botched a couple of shots and want input on what you think would have actually happened if these shots were taken at an actual animal....

Anyone ever make a shot like this?
What was the results?
Would the animal pass away or walk around injured?
What is the recovery rate for a shot like this?
What other input do you have for a shot like this?

1). Shot Low

2). Shot Low

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,612 Posts
There are a lot of factors involved as to if the deer will live or die...The chances of you finding this deer after this hit is about zero, but there is a good chance that over a few days this deer could die, but that all depends on way to many things to say...Weather, food supply, infection, size and strength and most likely a few more that I cant think of at this time...

· Registered
105 Posts
depends on the deer

if the deer spooked when shot, it will naturally crouch to jump. That motion would cause your "miss" to be a hit, the result would be as Uncle Ted would say Backstraps. If the deer didn't flinch, then depending on the broadhead either make a nasty cut that bleeds and the deer lives or nick the heart and backstraps. Thats from flat and level, if you were elevated then the no flinch would be a dead dear not dependent on broadhead. Of course this is just a guess. But it is fun to suppose.

Terry

· aim small...miss small...
1,303 Posts
there are no major vessels or organs that low in the chest, you might find a little bit of blood at first but it would be very spotty and would stop once the wound clots up. You wouldn't find that deer, but it COULD possibly die if it gets badly infected, but it would take days to weeks before it dies. then again, alot of strange things happen in the woods...ya never know

· Registered
156 Posts
You will probably find a lot of hair a few drops of blood but not a deer. That shot is going to cut him but not kill him.

· Registered
392 Posts
Flesh wound. Not likely to be fatal unless your using broadheads with 3" cutting diameter. lol

· Registered
4,453 Posts
Pretty good chance you find a tuft of hair and nothing else. Depends on whether the BH goes under, or over the breastbone.

I would move my sight pin down , or use a lower pin. :rolleyes: :darkbeer:

· Registered
5,465 Posts
Well that all depends if you were shooting a noisy bow and the deer jumped the string and dropped 4 " it would be a good shot. If the deer was a statue and never moved all you would have is hair sandwich.

· Registered
1,432 Posts
I cam tell you exactly what would happen because i have done it and it aint pretty.You slice the skin and half the guts fall out.The deer ran in to milo field,running around trying to jump to see to get out,the guts keep it from jumping.I am try to get close for a killing shot but cant catch up.When i saw the milo stop moving i marked it good and backed out.Found it the next morning but the coyotes got to it first. Enough to make you sick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.