Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you shot your hunting bow just as good as your "target" bows? I shoot my Slayer w/ Nitrous cams just as good if not better than any "target" bow I've ever owned. I'm not sure why, but it just plain feels the most comfortable, and aims more solidly and steadily even than bows I have with longer ATAs and higher BHs. So...does one trust their "hunting" bow to do it all, and sell the other bows, since no real benefit comes from shooting them? What I'm seriously thinking about doing is just keeping my target colored Slayer that I was going to sell, and use that for everything target related. Anyone else find that their hunting bow suits every style of archery?

There just seems to be something magical about the specs

38" ATA
7" BH

that fit me like a glove with my 27" draw length.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Don't do it 'Ju1ce!!!!!!!!..............:pukey:. The house will seem like an empty shell with only 2 of your bows in it.........:D. Someday you'll see the light and get a commie and sell those Slayers............;)

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't do it 'Ju1ce!!!!!!!!..............:pukey:. The house will seem like an empty shell with only 2 of your bows in it.........:D. Someday you'll see the light and get a commie and sell those Slayers............;)
Communism is wrong!

You know first hand the devastation that the Slayer causes...you got a taste in the back yard the other day. Put the Commie to shame!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It's been put down in print by some well respected archers that the A2A of your bow should be proportional to your draw length. So, a 27" draw archer like yourself would not necessarily shoot better with a 41" or 42" A2A bow. You wouldn't expect a kid with a 22" or 23" draw to look right and perform to the best of their ability shooting a 38" A2A bow would you? Kids bows are sized for them...no different for adults. Size does matter. :mg: For the record, I'm a 30" draw. :D

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Communism is wrong!

You know first hand the devastation that the Slayer causes...you got a taste in the back yard the other day. Put the Commie to shame!
:plain:..........the sun was too low in the sky, I had dust in my eye, the target kept moving, my cams were not rotated correctly, my release malfunctioned, etc.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts
My hunting bows ARE my target bows, and I shoot them just fine.;)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hunting Bow

I shoot my hunting bow set up with broadheads as well as I do my target bow, granted they are the exact same bow and set up exactly the same!

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
I shot my XF6 with drop rest and ICS arrows this weekend in the "pins" class. While on the practice bales, i was amazed that my 50-yard groups were looking as good as the guys next to me who had the long A-A bows and scopes. I still like to look at 3D as a "hunting" type venue, and i feel more comfortable sporting a hunt set-up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think it would depend on how good you shoot. If you're at the top of your game (530's in field or 300 55x indoor or 15 - 30 up in 3d) then theres no need for the target bow. If however you have a little ways to go, then I'd stick with the target bow.

Steve

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it would depend on how good you shoot. If you're at the top of your game (530's in field or 300 55x indoor or 15 - 30 up in 3d) then theres no need for the target bow. If however you have a little ways to go, then I'd stick with the target bow.

Steve
Well, I have the first two criteria covered (530s in field and mid 50s Xs on a 300 round, but I don't know a whole lot of guys who consistently shoot 15-30 up on a 30 target 3D course from the open stake.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Well, I have the first two criteria covered (530s in field and mid 50s Xs on a 300 round, but I don't know a whole lot of guys who consistently shoot 15-30 up on a 30 target 3D course from the open stake.
:D..........in my dreams......:(

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
CherryJuice...Since our draw lengths are very close, just send Me one of those Slayers, and let me "Evaluate" it for a couple months/years...I'll get back with You from time to time, and keep You up to date on my evaluation of whether or not the Slayer is a "Target" bow.........O.K.??....L.O.L...Harperman

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CherryJuice...Since our draw lengths are very close, just send Me one of those Slayers, and let me "Evaluate" it for a couple months/years...I'll get back with You from time to time, and keep You up to date on my evaluation of whether or not the Slayer is a "Target" bow.........O.K.??....L.O.L...Harperman
How bout a trade?? My Slayer for your $250? That's fair, eh?

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
That's why I stopped buying "target" colored bows for the most part.. Black or camo I can use them for both.

·
Registered
180 Posts
when I can shoot that good......

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
How bout a trade?? My Slayer for your $250? That's fair, eh?
......Juice...That sounds like a fair trade, but I am offering You a FREE "Archery Consulting" service...I mean, seriously, this kind of Consulting isnt cheap, but I'm willing to take the loss just to help You out!..L.O.L...Actually, I'm bow-poor at this time, but that price is very tempting...Very tempting....Harperman

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:chortle: Haha!!

......Juice...That sounds like a fair trade, but I am offering You a FREE "Archery Consulting" service...I mean, seriously, this kind of Consulting isnt cheap, but I'm willing to take the loss just to help You out!..L.O.L...Actually, I'm bow-poor at this time, but that price is very tempting...Very tempting....Harperman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts