Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad would a broadhead need to be damaged in order for you to say it failed? Even after contact with heavy bone.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
If it did it's job on the vitals I'd say it did it's job, no matter how messed up it was afterwards. If it hit heavy bone and didn't work, I would blame it on myself for not shooting right.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
for me, breakage upon impact to the deer resulting in no or very little penetration-for hard bone.

Failure for a clean ribs pass thru would be bent or broken blades, tip or ferrule. If I can't reuse a head just by touching up blades or swapping out replacement ones, it's garbage.

·
Registered
933 Posts
For me a dead deer is a dead deer. Unless the blades somehow all sheared off before hitting the vitals the head's done it's job in my book.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
brokenblade said:
For me a dead deer is a dead deer. Unless the blades somehow all sheared off before hitting the vitals the head's done it's job in my book.
Agreed.

Generally, I never use a broadhead twice on game. No reason to do this. I get 3 tags a year. I can afford 3 broadheads easy. Add 3 for practice or whatever and you got a 6 pack. $30 year isnt much. Wether or not the broadhead survives the internal punishment an animal places on it means nothing to me as long as I recover the animal.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
If it's just a rib punch then a broken blade, bent tip or busted ferrule is failure. If I caught a nice chunk of shoulder or leg then I could look past a bent or chipped blade, but the ferrule had better be intact and functioning. I also had better have a nice entry and exit hole. I quit using a particular head becaue the entry holes were terrible which resulted in little to no blood. I don't shoot a broadhead with the intention of re-using it, but if it won't hold up passing through a whitetail then I don't want it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts