Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31" @ 66lbs @ 30" DL, apparently.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the first day of my rut trip here, I came across a very big set of antlers that were on the ground close to me. I thought it was dead when I noticed the black body. Rotted and charred.

Then it moved and I realised it was a huge fallow buck.
I got the heart racing and ranged it 5 times. 28.5 yards.

I took my sweeettt time stopping every time he lifted his head. Took all my stuff off. Moved behind the tree. Kept my **** together.

Lined him up and went through my process. He lifted his head and whack. Right in his neck. Rolled down the hill with legs spasming and I thought I had him.

Then he got up. I couldn't believe it. I put another stalk on him for another arrow which resulted in a 30 minute stare down which he moved off from.

I was utterly dejected. He slipped through my fingers. My arrow was destroyed. Insert and broadhead gone. Next time I woule risk the chest shot on him despite being bedded or make a sound at the very last minute to make him stand to open the vitals. Thoughts? Or maxi FOC lolz

I told the farmer and we couldn't find him. He was very supportive !nd understanding and was happy for me to learn from the experience. Now I'm not allowed to shoot bucks (the son of the owner and employee have decided tbey don't want me killing 'their' bucks) and all I'm seeing are giant bucks. I kid you not. I croaked one in to 15 yards and it just sat in front of me.

Red stag this morning. Another buck. Another buck. Croaked in the biggest fallow I have ever seen. But females only :(

Why do the females have to be so hard to shoot!

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
Okay first off you took a very risky shot and lost, that's on you. Learn from the lesson. Secondly the owner not the son or the employee has the right to say what you can shoot or not. Unless he agrees with them, which is crappy. I would talk to him first. If it's doe only I would start looking for someplace else to hunt.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Okay first off you took a very risky shot and lost, that's on you. Learn from the lesson. Secondly the owner not the son or the employee has the right to say what you can shoot or not. Unless he agrees with them, which is crappy. I would talk to him first. If it's doe only I would start looking for someplace else to hunt.
I don’t think the OP has mentioned the terms of their agreement, or what the arrangement is. Kinda hard to render judgment without hearing the entire account of the situation.

To the OP tough luck on the shot. I suppose that’s why it is bow hunting rather than bow killing. As Steve Rinella said on his show” it’s ok if you get a little pessimistic in your mind, as long as your actions are optimistic.” Keeping pushing on brother and you’ll get past this and be a better person for having endured it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,102 Posts
Was the neck shot intentional? First thought is to go online and confirm the vitals of the species you are hunting. Repeatedly I've heard African game has their vitals closer to the front than North American game. In NZ the fallow buck is structured a specific way that the bowhunter needs to recognize. Neck shots are not optimal as there is a lot of muscle and the blood vessels/airway are relatively small. Sounds like you hit near the spine and caused temporary paralysis.....key to that scenario is to get a second arrow into the chest area ASAP. The cost of a second arrow vs. a lost animal is marginal.....get one in the air immediately.....don't presume the animal is dead until it lies still and can be slowly approached after a reasonable amount of time. Any question.....nock an arrow and be prepared to shoot it again.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
OP,

you took a gamble and shot him in the neck.... and lost the bet.

Learn from the failure, and be more selective on your shots.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
He says he wants positivity and sympathy...on archery talk...for taking a stupid shot.😀
I'm willing to give a guy positivity and sympathy where warranted, but not on an intentional bad shot.

No participation trophies and "here's your safe space, you're a good person, regardless of what those mean people say" in my world.

My arrow was destroyed. Insert and broadhead gone.
More concerned about a destroyed arrow and broadhead than a wounded animal. Not one word about an animal running around with an arrow in its neck.

So, asking for sympathy? Not from me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lined him up and went through my process. He lifted his head and whack. Right in his neck.

I was utterly dejected. He slipped through my fingers. My arrow was destroyed. Insert and broadhead gone. Next time I woule risk the chest shot on him despite being bedded or make a sound at the very last minute to make him stand to open the vitals. Thoughts? Or maxi FOC lolz
You sir, are the kind of person that makes bowhunters look bad. You intentionally made an unethical shot, and when it failed instead of being feeling bad about wounding an animal you are more upset about the lost arrow and broadhead.

Ethical hunters would not "risk" the vitals shot while the animal is bedded. They would wait for the animal to rise so that they could take the vitals shot. The fact that you even considered a neck shot, or any shot on a bedded animal says loads about what kind of hunter you are.

Sorry, but no sympathy here.

·
I like elk!
18,498 Posts
You sir, are the kind of person that makes bowhunters look bad. You intentionally made an unethical shot, and when it failed instead of being feeling bad about wounding an animal you are more upset about the lost arrow and broadhead.

Ethical hunters would not "risk" the vitals shot while the animal is bedded. They would wait for the animal to rise so that they could take the vitals shot. The fact that you even considered a neck shot, or any shot on a bedded animal says loads about what kind of hunter you are.

Sorry, but no sympathy here.
I agree with most of your post (not that you or anyone cares lol)
But, a bedded shot is not ‘unethical’
You’ve just got to know your limitations.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree with most of your post (not that you or anyone cares lol)
But, a bedded shot is not ‘unethical’
You’ve just got to know your limitations.
I think that the biggest thing is that he considers a shot at the vitals a "risk" but not a neck shot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol. It's the first shot I've ever taken on a deer. It didn't occur to me at the time.
I sure learned my lesson.

Ah well, you can't please everyone 😂

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I should also state that I saw the buck yesterday in the same bed and he trotted off juuusttt fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lol. It's the first shot I've ever taken on a deer. It didn't occur to me at the time.
I sure learned my lesson.

Ah well, you can't please everyone 😂
No excuse for an unethical shot. If you haven't taken the time to understand proper shot placement on an animal, you are not ready to be out hunting. It's not about "pleasing everyone", it's about being a good hunter.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts