Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way into my ground blind tonite I noticed canine tracks, either large coyote or dog, that had blood in them. Not much, just a spot or two every few feet. The tracks met a deer trial with fresh tracks. On my way out at dark as I approached my truck which was parked at the gate, I notice 2 fairly large dogs/coyotes/wolves. As I got closer I could see the were dogs and both had their heads part way through the gate snarling at me. I nocked an arrow and yelled to get them to back off. They wouldn't . I kicked snow at them but they kept up with their aggressive posture. I charged the gate and one backed off but the other one hung in there. Finally I broke off a branch an threw it at the remaining dog. He backed off a little but he still blocked me from my truck. Another stick and some aggressive moves on my part got him to go behind the truck and walk about 20 feet away. Both dogs had collars and I guarantee they were running deer. Would you have let one fly if you were in the same situation? If I see them in the area again, they will get the Luca Brassi treatment.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Dog attack

I was in a simular situation as you were. I was entering the woods and came around a turn in the path to see a lone Rotwiler staring at me. The difference from your dogs is that I was looking at a wild dog. There was no collar and the dog was thinner than a kept Rotwiler would be. I made several shouts and agressive moves but the dog came toward me, head down and ears back. I yelled at it again and it stopped a mere 8 inches from me. Needles to say I as at full draw. I was hoping it would turn and go away but it did not. The dog lowered it's head and gave that tell tale gutterall growl. That was it for me, I now considered it was attacking and took care of it.
You did the right thing. I would never want to kill someones pet and would do as much as I could to avoid it. Tame dogs can be pursuaded through dominant behavior as you have done. You can rest easy knowing you defended yourself without having to resort to leathal force. I was upset that I had to do what I did, The situation ruined a good day. As long as you have a decent distance between you and them you can use nonleathal means but at less then a foot those options are just not there.
Good hunting.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Any animal that poses a threat and will not back down from a human is dangerous.
Two such animals and you can have a real problem quick.
Dog attacks can put you in a hospital for a few days or worse.
I say better safe than sorry, but if they are just running deer thats not a threat to you.
I would go with what my gut said.
Then :zip:

marty

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
scent-lock has a product for just this situation, snausage-lock. You can get an 8oz box of snausage-locks for about $38.
Toss them to threatening canines and they are 100% guaranteed to leave you alone and 100% guaranteed deer will not
be able to scent them in the pocket of your scent-lock coat.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Any animal that poses a threat and will not back down from a human is dangerous.
Two such animals and you can have a real problem quick.
Dog attacks can put you in a hospital for a few days or worse.
I say better safe than sorry, but if they are just running deer thats not a threat to you.
I would go with what my gut said.
Then :zip:

couldn't think of killing a pet, but an agressive dog is an agressive dog period. add 2 to the mix and you're asking for trouble. one more reason to carry a concealed weapon.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Bear spray is awsome in this situation, even a little pocket pepper spray would do the trick.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
scent-lock has a product for just this situation, snausage-lock. You can get an 8oz box of snausage-locks for about $38.
Toss them to threatening canines and they are 100% guaranteed to leave you alone and 100% guaranteed deer will not
These are for the RARE occasion a dog is even able to detect you. As long as you have your scent-lok on this should never be an issue, theyll never wind you.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
couldn't think of killing a pet, but an agressive dog is an agressive dog period. add 2 to the mix and you're asking for trouble. one more reason to carry a concealed weapon.
Yeah I may have to rethink my stance on the ccp and hunting. There sure aint much good a bow will do with two dogs at close quarters. The only thing bad would be if the owner was behind them in the dark and got shot by mistake. Now a good machete would do wonders with two dogs in close quarters. Thats what I take on nightime tracking if the yotes want to tangle.
Makes me feel better anyway, I dont think I would like to discharge a gun into the dark, never would know whats behind the target.
Just my 2 cents.

marty

marty

·
Do say when...
1,736 Posts
Bakdahelup is on to something:thumbs_up.......;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
not keen to kill a dog

I am not keen to kill someones pet. BUT having grown up in an agricultural area there is often a different way of looking at dogs that chase deer or livestock.

Where we lived it was pretty well understood and expected that your dog would be shot if he was out chasing large animals or livestock. If our dog couldn't be taught to leave the livestock alone we shot him ourselves, and if he was chasing someone elses cattle you knew it was only time until he was chasing your own. A pet that hurt your livelihood had to go, and the way animals went on the farm was with a bullet.

My thing with really aggressive dogs is less about whether I could defend myself with some hunting weapon like a bow or gun and more about when these dogs come across someone who cant defend themselves. My bet is it is only time until these two dogs come across some kids out playing or someone out for a walk and one of them gets hurt pretty bad by these dogs.

I would have been very tempted to shoot, shovel and shut up with the dog that wouldn't back off. We all know that he is going to hurt someone some day. That isn't a pet, it's a danger.

just my 2c
randydb

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I had a similar experiance about 15 years ago on my hunting land. Lucky for me. I got barely in my truck before he could nail me. At the time I had know weapons on me. Scared the crap out of me. We met again about a month later on my hunting land. He charged me again. This was his last charge.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I am not keen to kill someones pet. BUT having grown up in an agricultural area there is often a different way of looking at dogs that chase deer or livestock.

Where we lived it was pretty well understood and expected that your dog would be shot if he was out chasing large animals or livestock. If our dog couldn't be taught to leave the livestock alone we shot him ourselves, and if he was chasing someone elses cattle you knew it was only time until he was chasing your own. A pet that hurt your livelihood had to go, and the way animals went on the farm was with a bullet.

My thing with really aggressive dogs is less about whether I could defend myself with some hunting weapon like a bow or gun and more about when these dogs come across someone who cant defend themselves. My bet is it is only time until these two dogs come across some kids out playing or someone out for a walk and one of them gets hurt pretty bad by these dogs.

I would have been very tempted to shoot, shovel and shut up with the dog that wouldn't back off. We all know that he is going to hurt someone some day. That isn't a pet, it's a danger.

just my 2c
randydb
I would have to agree to this. As tough as it would be to have to put down a dog I feel that having to visit your son/daughter in the hospital or possibly worse would be Imo tougher to live with.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
I know someone who shot a dog, needless to say the dog died and the guy I know lost his hunting liscense for life!

be very careful shooting someones pet!

I know you have to protect yourself, just make sure killing them is a last resort, mace for example will deter them with out you having to suffer any consequences, just take any other measures before putting them down, or you could end up in court and in more trouble, then the irresponsible dog owner.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Shooting peoples dogs is stupid.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
I'd have to agree with the pepper spray and stuff. I wouldn't want to kill a dog or anything but if it came to it I would do what needs to be done. I always carry a big knife with me just in case.

We've had some aggressive dogs in my neighborhood and my mom wouldn't go outside she was about to buy pepper spray to go outside but the dogs had to leave cause of some rule in our neighborhood. Being aggressive towards the dogs are good to. I was walking my dog one day and had one run towards me and him..... lets just say a swift kick to the head will have a dog leave you alone real fast

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Shooting peoples dogs is stupid.
making blanket statements like that is stupid.

had a neighbor's rot blocking me from getting in my front door at midnight one night. I had already had the dog catcher come get this dog twice and been to the guy's house to complain multiple times. Next time I saw that dog he swallowed a .270 bullet.

Guess I am stupid, but no way was I going to let that dog keep me out of my house, much less get a hold of my daughter who was 5 at the time and about half the weight of that dog.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts