Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've scheduled a day hunt (predator calling) with an internet newbie seeking help learning to hunt and agree to meet up a predesignated "centrally located" rendezvous point at 4am. You arrive 15 minutes early because that's what you always do and can enjoy a cup of coffee while you wait. 4am comes, then 4:20, then 4:45...the guy appears to be a no-show. Not answering his phone, you left voice mail. It is now nearly 5am and you're never gonna be where you planned to be at graylight because it is already graylight.

Do you blow him off and hunt alone? Wait longer? Another option?

man-looking-at-watch-clipart-9.jpg

·
Registered
789 Posts
Pre-set start and end times of location meet up. If not there by end time without communication *within the meetup time window*, go do your thing. "I will be at X from 0400-0430. If you are not there by 0430 and I don't hear from you, I'm leaving."

If they call within the window and give a valid reason (flat tire, changing; unable to pass on a small road road due to accident; etc.), make decision from there. Any credible evidence of lying is immediate cessation of association with said person. Just man up and admit you hit snooze 3 times.

No communication is a no-go. Lying is a no-go.

·
Registered
765 Posts
First time, I will cut folks some slack. Life happens, so I'll give them 10 or 15 min cushion. Then I will call or leave a text that I am leaving to go hunt as planned.

If they make an excuse or show a pattern of always being late, I would tell then that I am leaving at 4:00 with or without them.

If they never let me know what happened, there won't be a second time...I can't stand folks that waste my time.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Years ago, I left my house at 330 am and picked up a friend. We drove an hour to meet a goose hunting guide. We were a bit early at the meeting place. Long story, no show by the guide.
The guide called me later in the day and apologized and offered to send a limo to pick me up for a goose hunt.
I told him to pound sand, or something like that.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
First time, I will cut folks some slack. Life happens, so I'll give them 10 or 15 min cushion. Then I will call or leave a text that I am leaving to go hunt as planned.

If they make an excuse or show a pattern of always being late, I would tell then that I am leaving at 4:00 with or without them.

If they never let me know what happened, there won't be a second time...I can't stand folks that waste my time.
^^^^^^this is how it should be, pretty much how I see it.

·
Blue Marlin
3,001 Posts
My judgement of character is pretty good and before i make plans w some internet hunting poser to meet at 4AM, I'd have hung out w the guy in real life and picked up some insight talking face to face on whether he was genuinely sincere about wanting to hunt.
It fairly easy to see the less fortunate, for what ever reason that may be, that want to learn or get into hunting but never had any guidance from the ones that just think its cool on Facebook and put stickers on their back windshield of the truck.
A good analogy would be from the movie "A River Runs Through It"
Are you going to meet the guy that shows up late to fly fish with a coffee can of worms ?

If you don't possess that type insight then you'll find out who you're dealing with when you make plans at 4AM and the guy shows up late and or gone silent without a phone call explanation.
The guy you're trying to help and spend time teaching shows up 15 minutes early.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It is absolutely inexcusable. I had a buddy do that to me once. I did not talk to him for three years. He was an electrician I used on my jobs. Needless to say, he never got another job from me. Flaking on social events is one thing, flaking on a hunting trip is a different story.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
When he didn't answer his phone....that was your clue he blew it off.

I've had my share of those when guiding and also when hunting with guys that I didn't know well.

Seems to me they would rather talk about hunting than actually do it.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,508 Posts
4 things your never late for, work, church, fishing, or hunting....

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
A few years back I was going to be heading up elk hunting and another guy asked if he could tag along. I told him "Sure, I'm leaving the house at 5am". 5am came, and I left......just like I said I would. He wasn't with me. 1/2 hour later he calls me. Well, that's another thing I never do.......mess with my phone while I'm driving. My kids all learned early on.......by now they are in the vehicle and ready to go before I get in it, because they know I'm leaving when I said I was leaving.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I owned a boat and was the Director of the SaltWater Fishing Club, we left the dock with or without you. On charters we would wait 15 minutes on trips under 3 days, an hour on longer trips but then you were pooched. The kid has ghosted me. Just fell off the planet. I heard this is common in the employment arena now. People apply for jobs and then are never heard from again...some even get hired and fail to show up for work. They just don't get that this is rude. It's the last time I will offer to show a kid the ropes without meeting him first.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I would wait until 4:15 then I am gone hunting.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Left VM and a PM...heard nothing. For all I know he's in a ditch somewhere.
Much like my experiences with new products........if they fail me or my expectations the first time I try them they don't get a second chance no matter how good a product they supposedly are or what circumstances caused it. Now......if said product fails well into my experience with it, it might get a second chance.:wink:

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
You've scheduled a day hunt (predator calling) with an internet newbie seeking help learning to hunt and agree to meet up a predesignated "centrally located" rendezvous point at 4am. You arrive 15 minutes early because that's what you always do and can enjoy a cup of coffee while you wait. 4am comes, then 4:20, then 4:45...the guy appears to be a no-show. Not answering his phone, you left voice mail. It is now nearly 5am and you're never gonna be where you planned to be at graylight because it is already graylight.

Do you blow him off and hunt alone? Wait longer? Another option?

View attachment 6528709
Blow him off, and hunt. Then quit making plans with randos on the internet...

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts