Archery Talk Forum banner

What would you do?

1107 Views 41 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  cybertec2003
I'm in a pickle..:)

My 7 yr. old son is now hooked on archery and insists that he will be with me on Pa.'s opener,Oct.4
I really want to take him, but heres my problem. I have one spot that has produced for me every year,but all I ever used was a treestand in this area.
I have a blind for us but I don't want to screw up and get busted on the ground in my honey hole..

Should I set up the blind in my honey hole and hope for the best,or set it up elsewhere and just hope to see a deer?

Heres my son this past weekend at a 3-d course near our home..:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
2,621 Posts
Why is a 7 year old "insisting" anything on a father? Tell him he won't be on that opening trip and then take him sometime on a short evening hunt during the week.

· Registered
75 Posts
Memories

The woods will always be there. Your boy will not always be 7. You have an opportunity to forge a memory with your son that will last a life time. It seems a small price to pay risking a honey hole for that.

Look at the positive side if you blow that spot for a couple weeks you can leave the blind there so the deer are used to it and find another sweet spot.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why is a 7 year old "insisting" anything on a father? Tell him he won't be on that opening trip and then take him sometime on a short evening hunt during the week.

Insisting is'nt really what I should have said, he "really wants to go"..:)

And I want to take him,I'm so glad that hes into archery vs. the tv or tv games..:eek:

I'm just new to bowhunting from a ground blind, treestand hunted 24 years now and I don't want to ruin a great spot by sticking a blind up and spooking the deer.
Is having a blind up and brushed a little a week ahead of time enough time for deer to get used to it??

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,892 Posts
re

Is he gonna be shooting a deer or is he just comming along for the experience?

I would prolly bring him along during the week in the evening rather than opening morning. I might bring him to the honey hole if I thought he'd be quiet enough.

Good luck, and have fun. Im sure you will start some great memories with the boy out in the woods. Congrats on having one thats interested :)

· Registered
1,249 Posts
Is there really any question on what you should do?
I remember every single time my dad took me fishing from the time I was five to the year before he died.
Setting up the blind a week before should be fine and if it's not does it really matter?

· Registered
835 Posts
With 14 & 9 year old Son's I can say.."been there done that". I agree with bdneth & Apache....take him.

Not that I would wish this on you for anything in the world but suppose you leave him at home in order to not jepordize your hunt and you drop over dead the next day....he & you will never have had the opportunity to experience a hunt together.
The woods & Deer will always be there tomorrow, you and him may not be.

Just my .02

· Registered
90 Posts
Memories are forever

Take the youngster, he will remember that day forever. Tomorrow may never arive for you or him (you never know what tomorrow has instore).
Please, never turn down the chance to spend time with your child. Sounds like you have taken enough deer (share it).
They grow fast and while they are young, they are your shadow. When they find "girls / guys" and get the "drivers license", your going to miss them.
Mine is 19 and in college and he has left me behind for going on 4 yrs. I not saying that we don't do anything anymore, but we were always shooting guns, bow tournaments, turkey hunting, or on the baseball field. I miss those days.
They grow so fast---don't miss out.

· Registered
10,805 Posts
Taking your son hunting with you is worth waayyyy more than some hunting spot. I think setting up a blind a week out or that morning would be fine. You shouldn't be worried about seeing deer, messing up a spot for a few days, or anything else other than enjoying time with your little boy, making a new hunting partner for life, and sharing something with him that means a lot to you.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
Taking your son hunting with you is worth waayyyy more than some hunting spot. I think setting up a blind a week out or that morning would be fine. You shouldn't be worried about seeing deer, messing up a spot for a few days, or anything else other than enjoying time with your little boy, making a new hunting partner for life, and sharing something with him that means a lot to you.
+1 - couldnt have said it much better myself.

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I've been in your shoes with the same dilemma. I chose to take my oldest son with me and have never regretted that decision.
Did we spook does at 8am when he could sit no longer? Sure did!
Did he get to see a sunrise from a ladder stand and watch the world wake up? Sure did!
Did he get to watch a thumper buck cruising through before daybreak from less than 10 yards........grunting every other step? Sure did!

The memories are priceless :thumb: I actually just pulled out those pix yesterday and relived that hunt with him. :)

· Custom callmaker
3,547 Posts
Take him.
Your thinking of putting deer/horns over your kid??

Not being harsh but for every reason stated above. And the fact that my kids are worth more then any deer. In fact if I should have the chance to take a small buck when there along. If they say daddy shoot. You can bet that shot is gone. And that may be my best buck ever.

· Registered
9,011 Posts
Take him.

Just don't hunt your honey hole. Set up elsewhere, another place that you know you'll see lots of critters. Doesn't need to be just deer. Squirrels, turkeys, *****, ect.. The time spent together is what's important.:)

· Registered
826 Posts
The only thing I'd add to all of that is...if you do see a deer that's in range from your blind in your choice spot that you MUST take him to on opening morning, LET HIM SHOOT IT! Assuming he does make contact, that will be the best picture you can ever hope to have.

Have a great time with the kid.

· Registered
23,637 Posts
Get a 2 man ladder up fast....take him..........

The world can change in an instant - don't regret not taking him, especially if he WANTS to go.

· Registered
374 Posts
Not trying to sound like a smart elic, but take your son the deer will always be there. Life is short before you know it you will be begging him to go hunting with you but he will be too busy chasing the other whitetail.

In this situation I think you have already got whats important and thats your son wanting to go with you. Any deer you see will just be a bonus and if you don't see any then who cares the time spent is what is worth it.

· Registered
5,150 Posts
Is he gonna be shooting a deer or is he just comming along for the experience?

I would prolly bring him along during the week in the evening rather than opening morning. I might bring him to the honey hole if I thought he'd be quiet enough.

Good luck, and have fun. Im sure you will start some great memories with the boy out in the woods. Congrats on having one thats interested :)
x2 on this I would set up the blind and take him the next week, not opening day.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
You need a ladder stand.

My son is now 23, a Navy airman and on his way to Japan for the next 4 years. With him is his wife and their soon to be born first child, my first grand child. I took him with me when he was very young and killed some nice bucks. I was with him when he was 10 and and took his first doe at 25 yards. He was hunting with my dad at 12 when he took his second doe, I was at work and missed that one. We were hunting together when he took his first buck at 14. Money can't buy it, and you can't re-live it.

I will be home from Baghdad about the first of December. My dad is waiting till then to hunt so we can go together. The only thing missing is my son..................:darkbeer:

BW

· Just beat Terry Club
9,369 Posts
Took each of my two boys on muzzleloader hunt over the past two years. They loved it and the Lord blessed me with a doe on each hunt. Sharing that experience with them was no doubt some of my best hunting memeories.
Can't wait to take them some this year as well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.