Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guys. with my good fortune with my occupation and habits. ive gotten to know some of our best shooters.

i had the oppritunity to swing out and spend a little time with hoyt shooter chris hacker today. chris is a great guy and got 3rd last weekend in pro division. congrats to you chris!

You know, i have thought over the years i knew what i was doing with stabilizers. i have been shooting a 24" doinker and ive had a variety of side rods, vbars, weights, brackets etc. you know nothing has just settled for me. well ive been talking with chris the last few days. n bugging his brain because i can grab his bow and for the last few years, every time, i say wow. that feels great. so, we went to work this morning on my own set up.

by all mathmatics, even if you suck at math. twice the length=twice the weight, and vice versa, twice the length can=half the weight. n i just blew that concept out the window and didnt pay attention. because i just thought i knew. boy, if ive learned something over the years in archery never close your mind, you have to keep it open to change in order to go up.

so, without any other things in the equation, 24" with 5 oz would need 10oz at 12". well i dont shoot a 12 inch side bar. n i dont know about alot of you but 5 doesnt seem to aim to well for me.

so, what would 1.5 oz 24" and 8" = ??????

correct awnser, way to much. ends up being in the neighbor hood of 25oz. on 8". which feels horriable. it ends up being wobbly. the weight just kinda shakes and has momentum.

so, we cut 2" off. 22" with 1.5 oz and 8" with 15 (which is 3 dawg weights)

well now the bow floats, and balances out real nice. if the float is to much, add mass weight to the bow. what this does is slow it down, plus the bow is easy to aim, more stable, easier to execute, making a smoother steadier shot.

the big kicker is, if your trying to LEARN backtension the bow being weighted wrong could be a huge difference in learning it, and putting it down for a trigger. to execute you need that pin on the spot.

now, what my point is. next time you buy, think about how much weight its going to take to balance that set up out. n make sure your spending the money wisely on a set up that will help you, n not take you the other direction. stabilizers are just that, they are ment to stabilze not to pull your bow in directions, let them do the hard work for you!

i hope this iformation helps you on your next purchase.

·
Registered
125 Posts
so on a 2010 Hoyt Maxxis 31... setup 28"/70...whats the best stabalizer?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so on a 2010 Hoyt Maxxis 31... setup 28"/70...whats the best stabalizer?
for hunting? or target?

one thing is for sure, nobody can tell you what is BEST. now, i can merly make a suggestion on what i would think would shoot nice, and shoot good. most important thing i was getting at, was on a v bar or side rod purchase, match the lenghts to get a good, managable weight and balance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts