Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems Merlin is not interested in any new products for 2008? I contacted Ben in the UK and he states there will be no new bows in the near future.

Seems to be a dying product in the US? It's too bad!

Looks like I will be putting my Merlin Max Extreme aside as a back up bow to a newer bow with better technology (smoother & faster).

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Merlin

I don't know what the deal is with Merlin. Their US Pro Staff all left Merlin like a covey of quail kicked out of a hedge row. No one has ever elaborated on what the deal was but I suspect that Merlin decided the US market was no longer of interest to them. They built some of the nicest bows I ever saw in the Super Nova and Max 3000 and then went down hill.
Jbird

·
Back Yard Champion
29,701 Posts
Try contacting field14. I think he is or was a staff shooter.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
If I had to make a guess I would think that the value of the Dollar vs. the Euro priced the bows out of the U.S. market.

·
Registered
569 Posts
A guy at the shop I frequent has a NICE merlin bow he is wanting to sell....two sets of cams and the bow is in excellent condition.....I have shot it and they are nice shooting bows.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I shoot a merlin super nova and love the bow. Problem that I seen was in marketing over here. They are a beautifully built bow with great attention to detail. Problem was they dropped the ball in the marketing end of it. I dont mean anything bad to the shooters that they had shooting them and they may have been great spokesperson for the product but ppl in the United States want winners and that is what Mathews, Hoyt, Martin, and some of the other bow companies have done was hire winners to shoot their bows. Same happens in Daytona, Supercross and other sports. Chevy wins Daytona chevy car sales go up. Honda wins a supercross honda sales go up. We all have this conception that if Dave Cousins wins the Vegas like this year then we need to buy a hoyt cause that is why he won. Far from the truth cause he won cause he is that good. Same with Pse now and Chance. Merlin needed to get someone on board to win the big tourny and it didnt happen so unfortunatly they went by the wayside. Too bad as it is a great bow. I know there will be ppl that will disagree with this and say they had it all but then name a big tourny they won here. Next time you are at a big or small tourny look at the majority of the bows being shot you will find Martin, Hoyt, Pse, Bowtech and Mathews and then look at what wins and you will find it is prolly one of these. The person standing next to them that is shooting something else is already looking at that and going man if I had one of them I would win. Bad thinking but human nature. I wish Merlin would regroup and change a little bit of the way they do things as I think they could put their name in on the mix. Dont even bring up the fact that they win major tournys in Europe either cause to be quite honest about it most ppl over here wont look at it that way and dont really care what is done over there they want what is done here.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nothing against Merlin, I even bought a brand new one once, but when you can get a top of the line Hoyt, Mathews, or other, for the same price, or cheaper in many instances, then you just won't sell many bows. Combine that with little in the way of US marketing and you will sell even fewer.

It also seemed like they were stumbling in their development. One year, "speed is not everything," then the next year, "look at our speed bow." It just never made sense to me. They do make a quality product, but I think their approach was off for the US market.

macatac

·
Registered
565 Posts
Merlin no longer sell through dealers in the UK,you have to go to Merlin direct.
The pound-dollar might be why they no longer sell in the US.
The top bow they produce sells for GBP 580 over here (uk) just think what that works out to in dollars!!
Seems a shame because it looks like they were popular in the US.

Nightimer

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
I always believed Merlin had more craftsmanship than most any US manufacturer and still do.
They're still the only bow I would shoot other than my Bowman.
I do think the Hoyt Elite bows are one of the very best also.

Sag.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Merlin bows are NOT dead here in the USA contrary to the general concensus in this thread! Merlin USA is still up and running and we do still have dealers onboard. Contact us at [email protected] for more USA info on specifc dealerships near you. Dealers wanting 2008 dealer packages can contact us at (603) 899-9888, Mon-Thurs 8am-3pm, or simply e-mail the above addy.

Customers can also order from within the USA thru www.pinwheelproducts.com if they have no physical dealership remotely near them. Merlin on both sides of the pond continues to manufacture, distribute, and service top quality equipment that any archer can be proud of.

OK, I will try to cover as many things as I can here:

1) Merlin sales dropped notably when the US dollar started dropping steadily in value about a couple of years ago and the retail prices in turn went up. The current line carries an MSRP in the USA of $1059 for all models and most USA customers are now chosing a USA built product for less money with the economy the way it is.. really that says it all in a nutshell. The current exchange rate runs between 1.97 on a good day to as much a 2.03 on a bad one. That's roughly two of our dollars to every British pound. So a $500 British bow costs near $1000 here. Toss in an 11% FET and exhorbitant overseas shipping rates just to get them into the country, then dealer markup to boot, and viola----a great bow that is crippled by currency differentials and high shipping/import fees. When we opened Merlin USA back in 2004, the exchange rate was around 1.60 and we had a couple of good years before the exchange rate really started to hurt us. The exchange rate also hurts them in British and European sales as well, simply because those dealers are finding American bows a current bargain---they can buy them two for the price of one. So Merlin along with other European bow manufacturers are currently having a tough go of it from both standpoints.

2) Pro Staff---Staff all left of their own accord and 99% of them on good terms also. There are many reasons why Staff move on, and to my knowledge there was no one particular reason why anyone did. I speak with each one coming aboard or leaving and I can tell you that most resignations were amicable, and I also stay in contact with many of them to this day. In fact we do still have Merlin staff shooters in both target and hunting formats, there are just currently no target Pros. Reason there is because most Pros want a paycheck nowadays, and Merlin simply cannot currently provide one with sales numbers being what they are. I would think that when we get up to selling over 50,000 units per year, we would also be able to regularly buy Pro staff, and implement 6 pages ads.:wink:

3) Speaking of marketing--Merlin tried their hand at some limited marketing/advertising over the years but one must realize that Merlin is a small company overall....they do not have the millions of dollars to put into a full fledged marketing assault like the conglomerates do. Both the factory and Merlin USA put funding into USA advertising on more than one occasion over the course of a few years, but unless you have considerable resources for this tactic it doesn't even remotely scratch the surface of what is needed to conduct a strong campaign. So we now choose to keep on going by word of mouth and letting the bows and those who choose to shoot them, speak for themselves. It is sad to see that the word of mouth sometimes gets twisted around, and that is why I am here to help everyone understand. For those who do not know me, I am CEO of Merlin USA and have worked closely with both Chris and Ben Jones for well over a decade now.

4) Merlin is not updating the USA available line for 2008 I'm told. The XV was released less than a year ago and it shoots great, I myself am currently shooting one in fact and it is superb. There is also nothing wrong with the XT or XS as they sit, and I currently hunt with an XS. There is no need to upgrade each year simply for the sake of saying so, imo. Everyone at Merlin agrees on this theory. Next upgrade to the line is scheduled for 2009 I'm told. There has also been deep discusssion of a USA manufactured hunting bow built to the Merlin factory's specs at Merlin USA. This would effectively conquer many of the current cost and shipping burdens that hamper us. This discussion is ongoing.Stay tuned.

5)The Merlin website will be updated when Ben can get to it. He wears many hats and is spread quite thin from what I understand. As I stated, small company.

I hope this answers some of the questions one may have about the company and it's current state with regards to it's bow line and USA sales.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is pretty much what I thought. Pinwheel thanks for coming on here and explaining that. I hope my comments didnt make anyone mad here because I love my supernova and dont have any intentions of getting rid of it. As far as quality there is only a couple of bows that are of that kind of workmanship. Hopefully they can make a comeback.

·
Bowhemian
8,300 Posts
When I ordered my '04 SuperNova without ever having seen or shot one, based on what I'd read here in A/T I expected it to be a pretty good bow. But what I received was far beyond my expectations in terms of quality and performance. The SuperNova is without question the finest bow I've ever shot or seen and I wouldn't think of selling mine.

I was sorry to see Merlin discontinue the SuperNova, which I regard as the Rolls Royce of bows.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I used to shoot Merlins. They are excellent bows. I think they strayed away from the Target Oriented archers somewhat when they dropped the longer A-A bows and went strictly to a hybrid cam system. I had a Supernova and it was a really nice bow. I wanted a 3-track shoot through cam system for it and waited several years for it, but it never happened. If I would have had one with silver pockets vice gold, I would have used some Tri-stars on it. That bow was their best model IMO -- should have kept it vice going to all short A-A bows.

If you look at the bows most of their X-staff are shooting you will see the longer A-A bows and 2 cam systems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
:darkbeer:i have tried many bows when i was looking for a new target bow.. i shot mathews and pse and martin and etc.. and once i got my hands on my merlin i was in heaven even the die hard mathews and pse shooters said shooting the merlin was like holding a hot wet dream and they all drool over it ... as long as i have the $$$ and they are made i wont shoot anything other than a Merlin... keep up the good work !:darkbeer:

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
Agree with MikeK on the Super Nova.
Not a more beautiful compound bow has ever been made !!!
I consider my silver Bowman much more impressive and handsome than anything on the market right now but it doesn't have anything on the Super Nova except its 3 track shoot thru.

Rob, you're right.
Alas, the 3 track; huge mistake for Merlin not making it. :(
I still may, someday, sent my Super Nova to Dave Barnsdale for a set of his recurved Ultra Carbon limbs and a Wedel 3 track system.
That would be something special. :)
Can't believe, Jbird sold his. :eek: :)

Sag.

·
Registered
261 Posts
merlin

I have two Merlins. The Max 2000 and the Max 3000. I currently still shoot my 3000 cause I can't fine another bow that fits and shoots as well as my 3000. The only reason I don't have an XV is I'm still fighting the parrell limb switch. I've been shooting recurve limbs so long I'm having issues with switching to the new style limbs. That's not a Merlin issue.

When I first shoot a Max 2000 I thought it was superior to all the bows I had shot at the time (witch was all the top manufatures at the time) for workmanship, feel and shootibility. I bought my Max 3000 sight unseen from Kevin cause I had so much confidence in Merlin. Still do and I will eventually buy another Merlin. They make a quality product that is second to none. Jerry

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 07 XT with viper cams and I love it. Especially the part where you change it from 65% to 55% let off. It shoots like a dream.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
I was sorry to see Merlin discontinue the SuperNova, which I regard as the Rolls Royce of bows.
I believe the discontinuation of the Super Nova/Max line in favor of the X line had a lot to do the drop in sales, loss of US staff shooters

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
I'm a former Merlin/Merlin USA staff shooter and was for nearly 10 years. I voluntarily gave up my Merlin staff position simply because of the FACT that people expect to see STAFF SHOOTERS shoot top-notch scores and I wasn't capable of that anymore considering my healt-related issues.

I felt, at the time, that although I was PROmoting the PROduct line, I couldn't get people to buy them because they would look and my scores and subconsciously blame the BOW for it.

So, in a nutshell, in fairness to Merlin/Merlin, USA....I asked that they give my staff position to a shooter with more prowess than I currently had.

I still PROmote the Merlin line of bow, but currently, I"m not shooting Merlin...this is because of my relationship with the local range I shoot at pretty much on a daily basis. I couldn't get them to become a Merlin dealer and since I shoot there so much, people were wondering why I was shooting an "off brand" bow instead of....now get this...supporting my local shop!

I do NOT get free bows from anyone right now; and probably won't go with the "staff shooter" thing as far as bows are concerned.

Pinwheel12 and I remain good friends and communicate regularly concerning our friendship, hunting, 3-D, and of course, Merlin and what is coming out/up in the future.

Do I miss my Merlins? Absolutely, and positively, YES!!! Will I shoot a Merlin again....? Who knows, but more than likely...YES, but that exchange rate, as Pinwheel12 has said is KILLING Merlin sales or even people inquiring about them.

I get asked all the time....and when they hear the price...they shiver...they cannot fathom the reasons and blame MERLIN for the price...when it is in the exchange rate and all the frickin' taxes imposed to get those bows over here.

Tell you what, folks, IF Merlin allows the manuf. of the Merlin bows here in the USA thru Merlin, USA...then MERLIN will be a force to be reckoned with in bow sales. The workmanship, design, fit, and finish are several cuts ABOVE the current mass-produced US bows made here in the USA. That is FACT, not fiction!

Since I would have to BUY a Merlin...they make 'em here and that price comes down....and there IS a Merlin in my future. It is tempting regardless, because I know about all the quality things and factory support Merlin has to offer.

field14

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
Great post, Field14. :thumbs_up
If more archers knew the quality of Merlin bows and their top notch components, a lot more would be sold !

Sag.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts