Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
32,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 10 year old grandson chomping at the bit wanting to join in the fun. Would a PSE Spyder or Parker Jr. etc work for him? I'm looking for one that is like new and all rigged out. Whats the best little bow and I'm in the market for one!

·
32,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
onexarcher said:
My son has two of these Browining bows one for target and one for hunting. Excellent bow, with a large draw length adjustment range, limbs can be upgraded as they grow into higher poundage.

Here's a link. Good shooting.

Bruce http://www.browning-archery.com/products/2005_br_bows/micro_midas_3.htm
I looked at those and they only come in 30# and 40# bows. I think thats too much for him. He's just starting out and a 20 to 30 lb will have to work and I don't want a Genises right now for him.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Both my grandaughters are shooting bows handed down from my son and grandson. One is a PSE Spyder that maxes to 20 pounds, the other is a Parker Jr. Mag that goes to 30. The girls are 7 and 11. Both bows have been excellent and are still going strong. There's a lot of adjustment capabilty built in to both bows. They're both fast little bows and get velocities just below 200 fps. These are serious little bows that youngsters can compete with.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
My 9 y.o. is shooting a Hoyt Rintec. You said you wanted the best available and in my opinion it is the best youth bow out there right now.

·
32,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AKDoug said:
My 9 y.o. is shooting a Hoyt Rintec. You said you wanted the best available and in my opinion it is the best youth bow out there right now.
How does the Hoyt Rintec compare price wise to the others? Got to consider that also.

·
32,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tjb357452 said:
Both my grandaughters are shooting bows handed down from my son and grandson. One is a PSE Spyder that maxes to 20 pounds, the other is a Parker Jr. Mag that goes to 30. The girls are 7 and 11. Both bows have been excellent and are still going strong. There's a lot of adjustment capabilty built in to both bows. They're both fast little bows and get velocities just below 200 fps. These are serious little bows that youngsters can compete with.
These are two I'm considring. I bought a Parker Jr. all rigged out for one grandson and it is really nice. Just like new and had another set of limbs to upgrade with.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
rembrandt said:
I looked at those and they only come in 30# and 40# bows. I think thats too much for him. He's just starting out and a 20 to 30 lb will have to work and I don't want a Genises right now for him.
Rem, those are 20-30 and 30-40. My son has one, it's shoots great. He is shooting at 32# with pretty good results. With the new arrows he just got it clocks in at 172 fps.

Click the "specs" link it show the range.

Bill

·
32,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bellows1 said:
Rem, those are 20-30 and 30-40. My son has one, it's shoots great. He is shooting at 32# with pretty good results. With the new arrows he just got it clocks in at 172 fps.

Click the "specs" link it show the range.

Bill
I went back and looked and your right, it does come 20 to 30. What does one cost fully rigged out?

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Kids Bow

Remmy, BowTechs Rascal is a good bow and the Micro Midas as well.

·
32,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found one in the Cabelas catalog for $229.00. Thats about what I'm looking for. That should make a good bow for him for quite some time. I'm refering to the Browning Micro Midas.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
rembrandt said:
I went back and looked and your right, it does come 20 to 30. What does one cost fully rigged out?
The kits are around $230. give or take. Bare bow is $ 180. There is one, 30-40 in the classifieds. A bunch of others too. Good luck.

Bill

·
32,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
steve hilliard said:
thats it Remmy, they are a pretty dare good bow.
I'm thinking of ordering him one in the next day or so. It appears to be about as good as I can get for the money.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I'm looking at a Rascal for my daughter, I like that it has a shorter AA. I can get a really good deal on one at the local shop. It will be the 4th bow in two years from him. :eek:

·
Registered
365 Posts
rembrandt said:
my 12 yr old has the browning micro midas III, he started shooting 18 months ago with the 20-30# limbs and we backed them way off and it was very comfortable. no bow press to change draw length. we recently upgraded to the 30-40# limbs (a $40 upgrade thru browning) and the bow is a really good shooter.

you can buy the bow as a kit but i would buy the barebow and add quality accessories. limbsavers made a big difference to the bow and if you don't like the grip add tennis grip tape to it and it will be a lot more comfortable (without adding bulk) than the slim pieces of foam on the factory bow.

i wanted my son to participate so he has the same quality accessories i have and he's very proud of his equipment and always keen to practice and of course the accessories will travel to his next bow.

i bought the bare bow from the outdoor superstore and paid $140.00 for it new. i have no hesitation in recommending the browning bow - it's been a winner for us both in terms of performance and value.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I agree about the accessories. They will do to get him started, but you'll want to upgrade.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Finding the right bow for a kid

My problem is that I have a 7 yo who is the size of a 10 yo - he's already 55 inches and 74 lbs (he's the one in my avatar with the longbow). Although he's a monster, his strength has not caught up to his size. The bows with the right draw length have too high a draw weight for him to pull right now. The bows with the right weight range are too short in DL. We have looked at everything, and at this point, I think I am going to get him the Genesis as it's the only thing that will fit him and not draw too much weight. At this rate, when his strength reaches his size, I'll just give him my bow and get a Mathews!

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
DrJAG2 said:
My problem is that I have a 7 yo who is the size of a 10 yo - he's already 55 inches and 74 lbs (he's the one in my avatar with the longbow). Although he's a monster, his strength has not caught up to his size. The bows with the right draw length have too high a draw weight for him to pull right now. The bows with the right weight range are too short in DL. We have looked at everything, and at this point, I think I am going to get him the Genesis as it's the only thing that will fit him and not draw too much weight. At this rate, when his strength reaches his size, I'll just give him my bow and get a Mathews!
DrJAG, you should look again at the browning, and others I suppose. 18-28" DL at any poundage.
This should fit him really well, he must be in the 18-28 DL range. the 20-30 lb could probably go to 18lbs. That should be an easy pull for him. Give it another look. Nothing wrong with the Genesis, but they are a big bow. Still have the same weight range.

Bill

1 - 20 of 37 Posts