Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am switching from thunderheads to some type of expandable, but i was wondering what the best expandable is. i would like to spend at least 35 bucks on them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
no expandables are good. But if I would go with ne i would probly shoot rocker miniblasters. 1" 3/4 cut diameter

·
southern traditions
4,942 Posts
spitfires ,grim reapers and i agrree with moose the shockwaves thats what i use ive taken bear and deer with them and have not had a problem with them at all .with a good placed shot you dont have problems out of mechanicals at all.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
boone43 said:
no expandables are good. But if I would go with ne i would probly shoot rocker miniblasters. 1" 3/4 cut diameter
What a statement....:mad:

Actually mechanicals are good, as is any broadhead that is put in the right place. Rocket Steelheads are probably the best penetrating head. Also remember the bigger the cutting diameter; the more Kinetic Energy that is needed to open them!:wink:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
dont be ridiculous

boone43 said:
Neanderthal....

I have shot a nice hog and six deer in the last two years with expandable innerloc 100 grain bh's. I havent lost an animal, I have beautiful arrow flight, I dont cut my string/cable with a dangerous razor blade while nocking and arrow (and yes, I have done this once). I love expandable bh's. I still carry one fixed head in the event that I see a monster hog as I have my doubts about any expandable making it through a fat one's bone structure, but I have no reason to use fixed heads other than that. Try them out and see for yourself. I had to try them myself before I had much confidence in them.

·
Lou & Jode
10,782 Posts
If you want to spend $35 go to walmart and buy three packs of Silver Strike exspandables-tough,sharp,and accurate- $9.99 for a three pack.Every animal I've shot with them has died within fifty yards of my tree stand.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
boone43 said:

Well you are correct...there isn't a good one for your setup. You would get no penetration from one with 1 3/4" cut with your low KE.

·
Got Archery?
3,030 Posts
Rage 2 Blades have a devistating wound and are very durable

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
When I do recommend mechanicals (there are times its appropriate) I recommend Rocky Mtn Snypers because the slide back style blade design takes less energy to open and will not "cart wheel" on angled hits. It also has the smallest closed blade profile that I have seen so it will fly more like a field point than other mechanicals. I like the Rage design because it eliminates bands but its blade profile is significantly larger than the Snyper.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
If I were to shoot a mechanical broadhead. I would look no further than NAP Spitfires XP. I've used most of them and if I had reason to go back to mechanicals that would be my choice:)

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
i use firscuts and satelite dead ringers
the dead ringers have the slide back design and they work awsome. looks like a shotgun blast on the exit.

·
Hunt By Faith Not By Site
5,401 Posts
boone43 said:
There are many great expandables broadheads on the market. I shoot Rocket Wolverines 3P 75gr. I also like Wasp Jak-Hammers. The only thing is make sure you have enough KE and you will have no problem.

·
Registered
625 Posts
i use 100 grain wasp jackhammer sst,s im gearing up for bear next week was going to get some slick tricks,wated 2 mounth,s for them and thay never came,so i got some new jack hammers and am set to go.jackhammers allwasy worked for me iv taken a lot of deer with them ,and never lost one

·
Registered
525 Posts
bowhunter0916 said:
Neanderthal....

I have shot a nice hog and six deer in the last two years with expandable innerloc 100 grain bh's. I havent lost an animal, I have beautiful arrow flight, I dont cut my string/cable with a dangerous razor blade while nocking and arrow (and yes, I have done this once). I love expandable bh's. I still carry one fixed head in the event that I see a monster hog as I have my doubts about any expandable making it through a fat one's bone structure, but I have no reason to use fixed heads other than that. Try them out and see for yourself. I had to try them myself before I had much confidence in them.
i have been looking at the innerloc broadheads do the expandable shoot well

·
Registered
13 Posts
mechanicals

I have been shooting mar-den vortex mechanicals for pretty close to 15 years now and have taken 50 -75 deer with them they have a 2" cutting diameter. the only thing that i dislike is that when you shoot a game animal if you contact bone the ferrule gets distorted and you might as well pick you up a new head.

·
Registered
549 Posts
broadheads

Well you are correct...there isn't a good one for your setup. You would get no penetration from one with 1 3/4" cut with your low KE.
I agree with that!! I use 100 grain spitfires and have no problems what so ever. the best choice is the one that works for you.

·
Registered
886 Posts
There are a bunch of proven heads out there.

The leaders of the pack from what I have read:

Snypers
Steelhead 125s
Wolverines
Spitfires
Scorpions
Tekan II
Rage 2 blade should be a good one too, not enough field reports on it yet.

The most important thing is to match your set up to the proper blade configuration and cutting diameter. The wider the cut andmore blades you have, the more power it takes to get good penetration.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts