Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about a trophy taker ... but what are the .008'' and .01'' difference make?

thanks for any information ... im so new to this sports...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I guess, you are talking about a Trophy Taker Blade rest as oppose to there drop-aways. They work good and the numbers are the thickness of their blades. I prefer a GKF Infiniti or Preimer. I using their golden rod launchers or blade launchers. These rest both have a tuning guage which will let you know if you are getting to much contact during the shot. They are both micro-adjustable.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,287 Posts
For a pure target rest I would suggest the Britesite Pro Tuner over the trophy taker. No moving parts and nothing to "time" on a Pro Tuner. The "kiss" principal at it's finest.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
.010" works for most applications.

.008" for really light arrows.

I like the .010" Premo launcher coupled to a GKF Infinity.

You can vary the launcher angle to get the desired stiffness. :wink:

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Punch_Master said:
For a pure target rest I would suggest the Britesite Pro Tuner over the trophy taker. No moving parts and nothing to "time" on a Pro Tuner. The "kiss" principal at it's finest.
Punch,

I believe you're talking about the TT drop-away, which essentially is a hunting rest. The Trophy Taker target rest is the Spring Steel, which is the essence of simplicity -- and efficiency. No adjustments or timing.

I've tried a number of target rests in recent years, including one that has more bells, whistles, adjustments and gauges than an airliner's control panel. None of them come close to the Spring Steel in terms of simplicity and efficiency. I have a Spring Steel on both my bows. In both examples they've tightened my groups and I haven't needed to adjust either one since installing it.

Here is the data for Spring Steel launchers:

Total Arrow Weight:

Less than 300 Grains - Use .008 Launcher

Between 300 & 400 Grains - Use .010 Launcher

More than 400 Grains - Use .012 Launcher

Use the above rated launcher in either wide or narrow tongue groove as shown below:

Use the Narrow Launcher for arrows up to 23/64" diameter.

Use the Wide Launcher for arrows more than 23/64" diameter.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have a GKF TKO on my bow .... I just bought my wife a TT spring steel for her bow .... they are essientially the same ... the blade attachment are differant tho .... the TT uses a single bolt while the GKF uses 2 bolts ....

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,287 Posts
MikeK said:
Punch,

I believe you're talking about the TT drop-away, which essentially is a hunting rest. The Trophy Taker target rest is the Spring Steel, which is the essence of simplicity -- and efficiency. No adjustments or timing.

I've tried a number of target rests in recent years, including one that has more bells, whistles, adjustments and gauges than an airliner's control panel. None of them come close to the Spring Steel in terms of simplicity and efficiency. I have a Spring Steel on both my bows. In both examples they've tightened my groups and I haven't needed to adjust either one since installing it.

Here is the data for Spring Steel launchers:

Total Arrow Weight:

Less than 300 Grains - Use .008 Launcher

Between 300 & 400 Grains - Use .010 Launcher

More than 400 Grains - Use .012 Launcher

Use the above rated launcher in either wide or narrow tongue groove as shown below:

Use the Narrow Launcher for arrows up to 23/64" diameter.

Use the Wide Launcher for arrows more than 23/64" diameter.
Sounds like a nice enough rest but I'll stick with my protuner cause I don't need allen wrenches to adjust centershot or arrow height.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all!

ive decided to go with the trophy taker spring steel 2

should i buy replacement blade right away? whats the longevity of a blade?

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I'll give a heads-up for the TT Spring Steel, too. I was going to get a Pro Tuner, but it's much more expensive and does essentially the same thing. For all practical purposes a blade is a blade. Once you have it set, it's set.

Yes, you can change from one blace thickness or another, change the angle a bit to make it a little softer or stiffer, but basically it's just a blade so why pump out more money.

Once locked down it stays put. There's nothing else to do.

I can't remember the model, but I think Golden Key has their version and less expensive yet.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
arr4ws said:
thank you all!

ive decided to go with the trophy taker spring steel 2

should i buy replacement blade right away? whats the longevity of a blade?

You ain't gonna wear out the blade.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,352 Posts
bfisher said:
You ain't gonna wear out the blade.
Yup, what bfisher says.

The blade will not wear out,
but keep a spare incase the blade gets bent somehow.

Another trick is that you can rotate your arrow rest.
The Trophy Taker spring steel arrow rest has the blade set at one angle,
when the mounting arm is set horizontal.

If you want to soften the blade,
just change the blade angle by rotating the back of the arrow rest up slightly.
The mounting arm of the arrow rest will look "downhill".

Try rotating the back end of the arrow rest up,
so that the blade angle is closer to 30-degrees (flatter angle).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts