Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first 6 ads in the classifieds are for XB30 Pro's!!

·
Bringer of truth
14,912 Posts
the newer models though not as good at night is a much nicer scope.

Probably a few folks getting ready to grab the new Tenpoint EVO scope too.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What Hawke scope is better than the XB30 Pro, I thought that was supposed to be the Holy Grail of Xbow scopes?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
My XB30 pro is back on my bow. I remember the time a nice mature 8 point was standing in an open field 40 yards away. I had a single aimpoint scope so I didn't take the shot. If I had the XB30 back then it would be on my wall...lol

The HHA is another option but it would mess with my cheek weld! ;(

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
What Hawke scope is better than the XB30 Pro, I thought that was supposed to be the Holy Grail of Xbow scopes?
Mine is for sale because I bought the new xb30 compact . I prefer the reticle on the new scope and the size and weight is better .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also have mine for sale in the classifies. Like JT, I bought the DS Grim Reaper too. To me, and this is only my personal feel, the balance of the XB30 Pro feels too heavy, awkward. It feels fine/balanced on my Orion, but not on the Reaper.

·
Huntoholic
10,772 Posts
The only new models not as good at night are the new XB-30 Compact scope, the new Pro's still have the best glass, and same performance at low light.

The compact with the higher magnification, the less light it allows in, Examples would be a 1.5-6 at 3X is letting in just as much light as a 2x8 at 3X, but 8X with the same dimensions and glass will never be as bright as 6X. Power for Power there should be no difference unless one scope has issues from assembly or substandard components.

I agree with jt and CWI, the pro just does not feel right on the compact bows, if I didn't have the Rangemaster Pro I would have probably went with the XB-30 compact on the Shadow, I think the new Evo-x will be a better choiice with bettert optics and brightness with a much better reticle, when the Stealth comes. If I am dissapointed, I will probably put the Compact XB-30 on the Shadoow NXT and Stealth NXT, but the XB-30 Pro is just not a good fit on a compact bow for me.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Mine is for sale because I bought the new xb30 compact . I prefer the reticle on the new scope and the size and weight is better .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like most of the specs on various Hawke scopes, but I can't get past the weight. The new XB30 Compact 2-8x36 is still 15.3 oz according to the posted specs on their website. In contrast, I've got a Leupold that weighs only 6.5 oz. That's more than a half-pound difference! Granted, the Leupold is fixed power and a single crosshair reticle, but it's fine for how I hunt 95% of the time. Crossbows are a close-in weapon and I don't need an illuminated reticle and variable power to make a 40 yard and under shot. At least not so far. :)

~E

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know one thing...the ones in the classifieds are way overpriced for some used scopes. I've seen the Trophy Ridge ones for $110 on ebay NIB.

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
Well, Hawke scopes are all made in China I believe. Vortex are made in at least 3 countries I'm aware of - the top Razor line is made in Japan, I think their middle lineup is made in the Philippines, and their cheap stuff comes from China.

However, I'm not sure high end optics are needed for crossbows since most of us were using just pins years ago on our vertical bows. But those that are use to having Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica optics may not be happy with mediocre optics. I do have a Parker Pin Point 1.25 - 4 on my grandson's Recruit because of simplicity and the Trophy Ridge XV530R sitting in the drawer - they are ok but all made in China.

If there's issues with low light then the main reasons would be exit pupil size and the lack of proper coatings to transmit light - but I would think even their minimum of 4.5mm exit pupil should be sufficient unless you're poaching well after shooting light.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hawke is made in Europe the glass that most of the manufacturers use comes form China

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
Hawke is made in Europe the glass that most of the manufacturers use comes form China
Does Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, and Leupold use glass made in china?

·
Regohio
17,969 Posts
TP

That used to be the case…now Vortex Razors are made in Phillipines and China. I know some Long Range Rifle Shooters that swore by Vortex Razors but now sold everything and never plan to go back. I think it all comes down to labor Costs etc… But maybe our President is going to make things a little more level???

Well, Hawke scopes are all made in China I believe. Vortex are made in at least 3 countries I'm aware of - the top Razor line is made in Japan, I think their middle lineup is made in the Philippines, and their cheap stuff comes from China.

However, I'm not sure high end optics are needed for crossbows since most of us were using just pins years ago on our vertical bows. But those that are use to having Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica optics may not be happy with mediocre optics. I do have a Parker Pin Point 1.25 - 4 on my grandson's Recruit because of simplicity and the Trophy Ridge XV530R sitting in the drawer - they are ok but all made in China.

If there's issues with low light then the main reasons would be exit pupil size and the lack of proper coatings to transmit light - but I would think even their minimum of 4.5mm exit pupil should be sufficient unless you're poaching well after shooting light.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Does Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, and Leupold use glass made in china?
Mostly ( Ziess did get glass from England and France ) they just get the highest grades of glass and then put there own coatings on, its their own refinements that makes theirs the higher end scopes etc, ie polishing grading etc. Think of it like car engine blocks, at one time Crate made almost all of them, what GM , Chrysler, Ford did to those made what end product was

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
I thought the Schott and Abbe-Koenig fluoride glass offerings came from Germany, not china.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Abbe-Koenig glass is actually a design of glass ( Prism), not saying they didn't get the glass from Germany but more than likely refined it to meet their specifications. While Schott (owned by Ziess) does do manufacturing the tangible difference between glass manufacturers is indistinguishable from glass made in China vs France , Germany etc in fact it takes a computer to grade glass differences. Where companies like Zeiss Swarovski Steiner etc separate themselves from others is the coatings, polishing the actual finishing of the product and even at that those differences are extremely close by today's standards even from just a few years ago

1 - 16 of 16 Posts