Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I have been having a continuing discussion with my wife about why I need to carry everything I do in my pack, especially since I am now trying to set up a second pack. She doesn't think I need to have 2 packs filled with all the same gear, "why not just transfer it from one to the other when you decide which you want to use?" she asks? Well here is my question to you all, what do you have in your pack, bag, or whatever it is that you haul all of your hunting gear into the woods. Keep in mind that I am out west so I'm not going to carry stuff to a stand, sometimes a blind, but usually I'm out hiking most of the day.

Give me a top 10 list of items you always take with you besides your bow, arrows, broadheads, and range finder.

Maybe if I just outift both packs with 10 to 15 essentials she won't be so against me spending money on duplicates :thumb: :wink:

Thanks for your input on this. I hope everyone at least thinks about what is in their packs and why they have each item.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
First and formost....T.P....:nod:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
OK. I have been having a continuing discussion with my wife about why I need to carry everything I do in my pack, especially since I am now trying to set up a second pack. She doesn't think I need to have 2 packs filled with all the same gear, "why not just transfer it from one to the other when you decide which you want to use?" she asks? Well here is my question to you all, what do you have in your pack, bag, or whatever it is that you haul all of your hunting gear into the woods. Keep in mind that I am out west so I'm not going to carry stuff to a stand, sometimes a blind, but usually I'm out hiking most of the day.

Give me a top 10 list of items you always take with you besides your bow, arrows, broadheads, and range finder.

Maybe if I just outift both packs with 10 to 15 essentials she won't be so against me spending money on duplicates :thumb: :wink:

only 10? some of these are multiple items in the same category. All of mine are survival items because I too hike all day and have gotten temporarily lost on more than one occasion.
This also doesn't include the items that stay out of the pack all day such as gps, knife, & arch equip. & side arm.

1. at least two waterproof/altitude proof methods of starting a fire
2. water purification tablets & quart bottle or ziplock baggies
3. space blanket & tube tent
4. rain gear
5. prescription meds
6. whistle & signal mirror
7. multitool
8. as many ft as possible of wire that can be used for making shelter or snares.
9. food. granola bars,apple, boxes of raisins, tea bag, powdered energy drink.
10. fishing line, hooks, sinkers, needle all in a waterproof match container.

I also like items that serve more than one purpose such as TP... use for the obvious + firestarter + blood trail marker.

10 doesn't even come close to what I carry though... I have told my wife several times that if I don't come home one night, I am prepared to sleep outside.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

Thanks for your input on this. I hope everyone at least thinks about what is in their packs and why they have each item.
oh.. and if this has come up because she's objecting to the cost, just dig out a news article about someone getting lost in the woods or something. When she realizes why your pack items are important, it prbly won't be an issue anymore.
Last year, after we had like 6 griz attacks in MT, my wife actually told me to buy a sidearm... I wasn't even looking to buy one, but she didn't have to tell me twice. :thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
1.Headlamp
2.Tow rope for bow
3.Screw in hangers
4.Cat eyes, ribbon and compass
5.Rattle bag
6.Grunt call
7.Snort wheeze
8.Pruners
9.Food and drink(apple,energy bars,hard candy and sandwitch)
10.2 gallon plastic bag with pen,vinyl gloves and kleenx
11.Almost forgot the "CAN"
Then there's ,GPS,saw,knife and range finder on my belt and bino's in chest pocket:confused:

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good lists guys. Most of this is what I have and most of it is the survival type stuff that I am buying doubles of. Yea thanks for the advice on getting a few articles on lost hunters and the reason they made it out was because they had the gear to make it a few nights with them.

Anybody else want to post up their lists?

How large of a bag do you all haul into the woods with ya?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
bleat can
grunt tube
rope
scent
always extra gloves
and the one thing u never want to forget... a kinfe!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Knife
Hauling rope
Shears
Benadryl to control nasal allergies
binoculars
camera (if possible)
one or two bottles of water or Gatorade
cover scent
Bible

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
Well, I've got to agree with your wife on one issue......just transfer the essentials to whichever pack you'll be using. That's what I do. I have my daypack and my pack frame with it's own pack. If I take the pack frame it's usually because I already have something down, boned, and bagged, so I don't need a lot of the stuff I would have had in my other pack.

These are my essentials that go in the pack:

water - 101oz bladder
Gatorade - I usually take a quart of this as well as the water
first-aid/survival kit - includes all the essentials such as compass, lighter, etc
food
rain gear
game bags
saw
knife and quick sharpener
para-cord
GPS
baby wipes
latex gloves
camera
minimag and headlamp
marking tape
painkillers
plastic sheet - can be used for a seat on wet ground, shelter in bad weather or spending the night, and works great for keeping the meat clean and off the ground.

Then I carry my rangefinder in my front pants pocket, wind indicator and watch in one of the pant side pockets, extra cow call in side pocket, main cow call in other front pants pocket, bugle slung over my neck and shoulder, mouth call in my mouth, extra mouth call in side pocket, and sometimes my binos around my neck attached with bino-buddy.

I'm probably forgetting something.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I would transfer most of the really expensive stuff over but I really would like to not have to move over everythign from every pouch and pocket especially since the majority of stuff is relatively inexpensive. I'm just thinking what you all think are the essentials that you must have besides your bow, arrows, rangefinder, knife, and tags. I have been out and "directionally impaired" a time or two and I really like to have most everything I might need if I have to stay out a night or two unexpectedly while hunting or tracking incase weather changes or I get on a good trail and can't make it back before dark. Thing is I always feel like I have left somethign out if I have to transfer alot of gear in a hurry before leaving.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
My list:
Release
Armguard
Gloves
Neck gaiter
face paint
knife
screw in bow holders
bow haul rope
Scent away
**** urine
grunt call
The can
(2)flashlights
headlamp
stocking cap
water
TP
Earth scent wafers and skyhook steps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Along with most of what's already been said, I always included an emergency first-aid kit which believe it or not included a suture needle and thread to sew up a nasty cut if need be. Not a fun thing to do but believe me, it can be done. Get stuck in Canada 150 miles from the nearest road for 4 or 5 unscheduled days due to weather and you'll be glad you've got everything you thought you'd never need!

A friend of mine got 3 other guys out alive because of his forethought.

Always be prepared for the unexpected. It could very well save your life or someone elses.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Rope. Flashlight. Waterproof matches. Water bottle. CandyBars. Mixed Nuts. Binos. Cell Phone. Whistle. Extra Release. Calls. Copy of hunting tag. Pencil. little pad of paper. Deaddownwind Field Spray and Mouth Spray. Extra Socks. Extra face mask.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
1. l.e.d. flashlight
2. spare batterys
3. gps depending where i hunt
4.gauze and tape-first aid
5.zip ties
6.gutting knife
7. compass
8.rope
9.hand held radio if hunting with buddy or dad just in case
10.grunt call
11.SPARE BOW PARTS FOR REST AND SIGHT-MAINLY SCREWS AND RUBBERBANDS
12.toilet paper for relieve
13.bottled water
14.sport bottle filled with water
15.candy,apples,bars
16.exedrin migrane for pain or headaches
17.waterproof matches depending where i hunt
18.tree stand harness
19.bow or gun pulling rope

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I won't count food and water because we all need those consumeables.
Besides bow, arrows, broadheads, range finder, and bow sling.

Stuff that I wear or put in my pack after I get to the spot:
Hat, sunglasses
Binos & range finder
cell phone, car keys
game tags, pen, and zip ties

Stuff that lives in my pack (most used stuff):
lip balm with sun block
GPS with AA batteries
Unscented baby wipes
wind direction powder in puff bottle
spare wool socks
knife and field sharpener
flashlight with AA batteries
deer drag
neon path marking tape
camo face paint or full head cover
game cleaning gloves
game calls
allen wrench set for bow

Just in case (survival):
pain killer & antibiotic ointment
athletic tape
several unopened super glue tubes
camo 540 lb test parachute cord
camo rain pancho
water purification tablets
plastic drum liners (heavy trash bags)
5 pack of disposable lighters
space blanket
handwarmers, feet warmers

If I'm planning to stay overnight:
sleeping bag rated to 0 degrees
air mat
no-scent wash kit

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.