Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it's the right area to ask this, but here goes...
What do you carry usually in you traditional archery possibles bag, or on your quiver pouch, if you have that instead ?? I always have a couple of knives(large and small), and a good saw with me.
I'm setting up a possibles bag for this hunting season and wannted some input.. You never know when you might get stuck or stranded out in the woods.

So far, I've got this :

A fire kit
An extra bow string
A bow stringer
A couple of large hvy duty trash bags
A file or stone(for sharpening up my broadheads)
A flashlight, and a couple chemical light sticks
Some paracord(550)

That's about it... Anything else ??

Looking forward to you input !!

Thanks in advance,

Tux

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Looking forward to watching this thread, my bag could be used to overhaul a car or build a house, so I need to get it under control. I have had the same bag for 30 years and I need to make sure there are no more pull top tabs in it, those things will give you a nasty cut when searching for something......

I did find a trick with the trash bags, those things will not stay rolled up. Put them in a zip top sandwich bag.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I use an Arrowmaster quiver for 3D, and in its pouch I keep:

extra glove
glue stick
lighter
nail clippers
needlenose pliers
nocks
stringer
wax
pen

When hunting I use a bow quiver for my arrows and a backpack for my gear. Some stuff goes in the pack, some on my belt, and some in my pockets. I normally carry:

license
pen or pencil
flashlight
skinning knife
pocket knife
bottled water
snacks
pull rope
rangefinder (when compound hunting)
gloves
mask
thermocell (if hot enough outside)
wind indicator powder
handheld saw
gps
cell phone

A lot of folks need the latest and greatest gadgets to hunt, but I find myself trying to whittle down what I need to carry. I only do day hunts very close to home, otherwise my list would be a lot longer. The cell phone is for emergencies only, and I keep it on silent mode. Now that my phone has a gps, my old gps may start collecting dust at home, and that will be one less item to bring.

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
Me too, my pack is humungus but it has everything that I would ever need if'n I needed to stay the night right were I'm at, including 2 compass' & 3 different means of making a fire.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Well, I got a bow case, and a quiver pouch. Both have essentials in them. In my pouch I got, a string, armguard (in case I one day decide to use it agian :D ), glove powder (until I get a tab), knife in my pocket, will have a file, always carry a lighter, TAG, twine, gloves, and prolly a bigger knife on my belt.

Bow case, bow square, stringer, extra nocksets, nocking pliers, bobby pin (for brush buttons), broken string :D, barge cement, fletch tite, groove silencers (in case I want to use those again), bow :D, and prolly some other stuff... Oh, and my arrow case on the front pouch.

Prolly gonna get critisized for missing something, but that's what I got for now.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
I under-pack I guess. I have a small leather pouch for the back of my belt. In it is a length of parachute cord (for dragging a deer if it happens), pen for filling out tag, small file in a leather sheath (that doubles as a straup-sp?). Occasionally a lighter or an extra tab will find their way in their, or bits of artificual sinew, but for the most part that's it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I under-pack I guess. I have a small leather pouch for the back of my belt. In it is a length of parachute cord (for dragging a deer if it happens), pen for filling out tag, small file in a leather sheath (that doubles as a straup-sp?). Occasionally a lighter or an extra tab will find their way in their, or bits of artificual sinew, but for the most part that's it.
I was guilty of the very same thing, until I got "confused" as to the location of my vehicle, during being caught in a pretty nasty and sudden snow squall, about 5 yrs back.. Was not a fun deal, was out there for about 10 hrs, until I saw some fireworks and B-lined for them, since they had to be someone on a road .. Caught a ride from them to my truck which was about 3 miles away..

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
I was guilty of the very same thing, until I got "confused" as to the location of my vehicle, during being caught in a pretty nasty and sudden snow squall, about 5 yrs back.. Was not a fun deal, was out there for about 10 hrs, until I saw some fireworks and B-lined for them, since they had to be someone on a road .. Caught a ride from them to my truck which was about 3 miles away..
I'm in the opesite part of the spectrum.
I kinda over pack for that just in case scenerio & one time bout 13 years ago I was hunting about 1.5 miles from where I had parked, arrowed me a nice 8 pointer but he wandered off a little further than I had anticipated almost at last light..
After retireving & cleaning him I knew it was too late for me to drag him out at this time of night so I hung him in a tree & made camp right there, fire & all.

Well wouldn't ya know it I was on the edge of the GW national forset & some one noticed my fire & called 911, well about 02:00 this warden come along to see what was up.
After I explained my self & told him that my truck was about 2 miles due south he told me that his was just 1 mile north.
we drug my deer to his truck & he took me & my deer to mine.

I've always thought that you never know what may happen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
gps
PLB
saw
rope
lighter
bow string
marking tape
knife
knife
knife
knife
water bladder
calls
TP...this one's very important
snacks
head lamp

·
Registered
378 Posts
Huge backpack

I use a backpack most of the time but just bought a team realtree stalkers pack that is a lil smaller.

lighter
waterproof matches
TP
bottled water or canteen of somekind
snacks
3 different knifes, small pocket, field knife on hip and another field in the pack
Binocs
calls deer or turkey ect.
ace wrap
pouncho
gloves
pen and small tablet of paper
wax
extra bow string
cell phone
scent killer
flashlight
para cord
usually have sony handycam with me too
extra tapes

·
Registered
585 Posts
A battery powered blender and all the Margarita fixin's...Oh and plenty of those little drink umbrellas!

Hey...It's always 5 o'clock somewhere :cocktail:

:cool:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Early season (late season is to large)
Compass
GPS
Lighter
Kitchen matches in water proof container
Survey flag tape
Wind Powder
Bowstring
Small nylon rope (1/8" maybe)
Swiss Army knife (most people don't know the outside red part can start a fire like nothing else in the world)
Hunting Knife (on my belt)

those items are always with me no matter where I go - I add other things for duration (water, snacks etc) late season backpack with food, axe, calls, so much crap it's silly, everything except a sink

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Early season (late season is to large)
Compass
GPS
Lighter
Kitchen matches in water proof container
Survey flag tape
Wind Powder
Bowstring
Small nylon rope (1/8" maybe)
Swiss Army knife (most people don't know the outside red part can start a fire like nothing else in the world)
Hunting Knife (on my belt)

those items are always with me no matter where I go - I add other things for duration (water, snacks etc) late season backpack with food, axe, calls, so much crap it's silly, everything except a sink
Is it like flint?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pretty sure that red "stuff" is magnesium just like on the old metal racket snow shoes. Scrape some off and it will start a fire quite nicely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts