Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious on what you guys would consider to be good accuracy. I have noone to really compare to since none of my friends hunt with a bow. As of right now I am shooting about a 1.5-1.75" five arrow groups consistently at 20 yds and a pretty consisitent 2-2.5" group at 30yds. Of course there is a flyer in there every now and then. I can do better but that is for my first three practice sessions of the year. Is this acceptable by your standards? What kind of groups do you strive for as a hunter and what are you satisfied with?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
For me, I consider 1-2" groups to be very good at 20-30yards and 3-4" at 40-50yards. Keep up the good groups and you should hit the vitals with no problems.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
rolltide05 said:
I was just curious on what you guys would consider to be good accuracy. I have noone to really compare to since none of my friends hunt with a bow. As of right now I am shooting about a 1.5-1.75" five arrow groups consistently at 20 yds and a pretty consisitent 2-2.5" group at 30yds. Of course there is a flyer in there every now and then. I can do better but that is for my first three practice sessions of the year. Is this acceptable by your standards? What kind of groups do you strive for as a hunter and what are you satisfied with?
how close are the groups to where you are aiming??
I am satisified when I can draw a 2 inch circle on the target and take one arrow one shot and put it in the circle at 20 - 25 yards. Deer won't stand there long enough for me to shoot groups of arrows at them.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I strive to put the first arrow where they live:) That's all it takes. I'll take a great hunter over a great shot any day!:)

·
Registered
982 Posts
The old ‘be able to hit a paper plate’ isn’t good enough. You should be able to hit a large apple sized target every time. How far you can determines your personal effective range, and you shouldn’t go beyond that. What others can do shouldn’t change your maximum personal distance at all.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
I have heard the inch in diamiter per ten yard rule on AT alot.

(1" @ 10yrds, 2" @ 20yrds, 3" @ 30, And so on)

Personally I can put em in a half dollar at 20yrds, and about 4" groups at 30yrds, At 40 - 50 My groups open up a bit to about 6" or less.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
rolltide05 said:

A dead deer or elk!!!:darkbeer:

Mike

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Try this only if you do not have a heart condition or you are not overly obese.

1. Run a 100 yard sprint as fast as you can,

2. DO 25 push-ups,

3. Now make sure your hear rate is at least 150 bpm.

Now.....pick up your bow and shoot a group at 20 yards.

Repeat steps 1 thru 3 and shoot a group at 30 yards.

Until you have "learned" to mentally control your heart rate below the elevated rates of 120 - 150 bpm when a deer steps into your shooting lane and you are at full draw...

....will you really know just how good...good enough is.

Good Luck............have fun and pick a spot!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
BowtechArch said:
Try this only if you do not have a heart condition or you are not overly obese.

1. Run a 100 yard sprint as fast as you can,

2. DO 25 push-ups,

3. Now make sure your hear rate is at least 150 bpm.

Now.....pick up your bow and shoot a group at 20 yards.

Repeat steps 1 thru 3 and shoot a group at 30 yards.

Until you have "learned" to mentally control your heart rate below the elevated rates of 120 - 150 bpm when a deer steps into your shooting lane and you are at full draw...

....will you really know just how good...good enough is.

Good Luck............have fun and pick a spot!

Dang it man...sounds like elk huntin' to me.

I think I'll stick to my trees tands back east :wink:

To answer the original post...I think your accuracy is very good....sub two inch groups at 20 and a tad over at thirty. That is plenty accurate. Now try yer hand in hunting positions that you anticipate using (stands, kneeling, sitting etc, whatever your method is).

Good luck this season!!!! Double lungs on everything!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18,883 Posts
Now try yer hand in hunting positions that you anticipate using (stands, kneeling, sitting etc, whatever your method is).
Yep, there it is right there. Shoot enough odd shots at home that you are certain that anything from 5 to 25 yards is dead. If a deer walks behind you, can you nail him without moving your feet? If you're sitting on a bank eating a sangwich and up walks Mr. Big, can you make that shot, sitting cross-legged? Challenge yourself with weirdies, because your confidence will soar and deer will die!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If I can hit a 5" group at any yardage I'm doing good. I still have room for improvement without dought. I strive to get them tighter every time I shoot. In my mind there is always room for improvement.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
rolltide05 said:
Accuracy for hunting and accuracy for archery are two different things. I am extremely obsessed w/ perfection, and I shot about 120 shots today, 3 of them would have been "iffy?" kill shots, the rest were all good double lung/heart shots. If you are shooting 5 arrow groups that tight, you are lucky you haven't busted nocks yet. I only shoot groups over two when tuning broadheads or setting up sites. 2 weeks ago, while setting sites on both of my bows (after having new peeps installed), I robinhooded 2 arrows in four days, one with my new bow, and one with my back-up. In order to improve your accuracy, practice shooting out to farther distances. Not as a hunting prep, but as an aiming aid, to help you to aim-small/misss-small at shorter ranges. I shoot all the way out to 56yds a few times a week, not because I'd take that shot hunting, but because it helps me improve my aiming point. Once you've established tight groups, then start shooting spots, which will continue to improve upon your aiming point. I like to throw a plastic easter egg out in the yard and then pop it from my deck. If you are shooting that tight, then all you need is a deer/elk at that range you are shooting to.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Is that test running with or without the bow lol? I think everyone responds somewhat different when they see a deer. I remain fairly calm and focused, yes my heart rate increases slightly but not out of control. I am not a push the panic button type person and usually am busy watching the deer and planning my move if time permits. I can group 4 arrows at 30 yards all touching some times and most within 2 inches, 40 yards 3-4 inches average but have also gottten all touching. I have killed many deer gun hunting on a flat out run at 50+ yards in the thick N.H. woods and you have about 3-4 seconds to indentify, plan and shoot in most cases. Sadly in some parts of N.H. you may very well see only 1 deer in the 30 day season so you better get it done the first time.

I have a friend who goes totally unglued when he sees a deer and has missed them as close as 20 feet and standing broadside at 50 feet. I think in states like N.H. where you may see only 1 deer all season it puts a ton more pressure on a hunter. One is not used to seeing a deer hunting and when they do they feel this is it, if I blow it the season is lost.

I guess I am lucky to be the way I am, but I also trained myself not to over react. I will admit though, once that beast is down I am internally estatic to say the least.

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
with my tribute i think for me accurate is when im shooting 4 inch groups at 70 yards

·
When's bow season start?
8,909 Posts
rolltide05 said:
I strive for nock-busting groups at any yardage I plan to take a shot on game at, which in my case is 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. That doesn't mean I get them all the time, but that's what I strive for!

SEOBowhntr said:
Accuracy for hunting and accuracy for archery are two different things
But this is reality. There are guys who can blast houseflies off a target face at 375 yards with a 16 lb. benchrest rifle chambered in 6mm PPC, but are terrible shots on game at ranges of 75-100 yards with hunting rifles. So it goes with archery and bowhunting. There are archers who can hit the X-ring on every shot at 20, 30 and 40 yards that have trouble keeping them in the vitals because, in the field/tree, shooting conditions are not perfect like they are on the range. If you can maintain that level of accuracy from your treestand or ground blind, you are well on yoiur way to filling out a tag or two!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
curious how many arrows you guys go through in a season grouping so tight and how many arrows do you normally shoot in a group?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I recently obtained a new block target a couple of weeks ago and have probably taken at least 500 shots at it from distances ranging from 20-40 yards. ( i.e 150 @ 20 , 150 @ 30 , 100 @ 40 , 100 @ odd distances in between ) Even with misses and a few flyers over 60% of my shots are within a baseball sized group and over 99% of my shots are easily within 6 1/2 to 7 inch diameter area.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
ELKhuntR said:
curious how many arrows you guys go through in a season grouping so tight and how many arrows do you normally shoot in a group?

I used to group arrows nice and tight and ruin arrows, fletchings, etc.....now I've become smarter and just shoot different spots on a target. I still chase arrows every once in a while, but I get sick of fixing arrows. With broadheads I'll never shoot the same spot at anything less than 40 yards....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts