Archery Talk Forum banner

whats the advantage to a t handle release?

1082 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Bo Bob
been shooting wrist strap finger release for years and see that more and more archers have gone to tee handle release why? and could you give a breif explanation on hoe they work?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
646 Posts
I like them because i use my forearm muscles less in the shot execution. I want the minimum possible interuption and use of my body to shoot. Mind you, i use a BT hinge for the same reason, a lot of people cant cop that.

· Banned
3,222 Posts
less hand movement executing the shot over wrist types and more consistency over all do to stress on wrist strap assembly.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
I learned to shoot release with a T handle. I swapped to a strap but never felt like I was getting the best release. Went back to a T handle and feel more confident in it. Since I learned with a T handle, I think this is the reason I was able to pick up a BT release anduse it well on my first attempt.

The T handle in my mind makes you focus on using you back muscles more and less forearm to trigger the release.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
I switched because it matches the handle on my hinge release. If I'm hunting, or it's a windy day at a shoot, or a 3D target is moving, I need to command the shot with a thumb trigger. If not, I use a hinge.

Lien2

· Registered
Rytera Nemesis, Easton Pro Hunters, Muzzy 3 blade, tru-Ball hinge release.
2,119 Posts
The better choice

The biggest problem that i have with wrist strap caliper releases is they lengthen your perceived draw length. even if your bow is a perfect fit the long caliper style releases often will mess guys up. T Handel release aids put your hand in a more natural line and will help promote good form and (if you practice) good B/T. Any release aid will benefit your accuracy because it removes that much more human error, that being said one that will promote solid form and follow through is even better in "my eyes":wink:.

· Registered
54 Posts
Biggest advantage for me was a relieving a sore thumb. The strap release was digging in at the base thumb joint (for lack of a better term...) and was causing some soreness in that joint and some numbness in the web and up the side of my index finger. Going to a T handle fixed that and my shooting improved dramatically as well. Granted, when I was having the trouble, I had just switched to the strap from fingers and was shooting an 85# M44 Firecat. The heavy draw weight probably had a good bit to do with it.

· Registered
3,402 Posts
thanks guys, i''ll see if the local archery shop has one i can try....

If you can't find one to try, let me know and I'll send one of my spares to you to try (not to keep)...you'll just have to pay return postage. Where abouts in WI are you? I know Tenspot in up in NW WI and Tronjo as well...they would probably help you out too....

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,081 Posts
What Big Ragu said.

Plus - lessens the chance of target panic. Index finger is very sensitivie and likes to get punchy. Thumb is far less likely to do so.

I no, technically you are not supposed to fire a hand-held by squeezing your fist. Do that and you might start punching it. Just like any properly fired release, you should fire it by squeezing with your back muscles which will pull your back slightly and your thumb, which should already be wrapped around the trigger shouldn't really move much at all - instead, the release will sort of get pulled into your thumb just a bit and everything is being pulled backwards with constant thumb pressure. Do this and the release will fire properly every time.

Wish I could tell you that I did it perfectly as described above every time I shoot an arrow but I do try to accomplish this.

· Just beat Terry Club
9,369 Posts
Buddy of mine went to a hand held (Chappy Boss) this year and his scores went through the roof! He said it took away the "anticpation" of the release. I played with my ST 360 and it helped me a lot but I know I should make the switch to it totally next year. (Partially afraid of the thing slipping out of my hands when shooting in hot weather--if any of you knew how bad I sweet you'd understand totally.:embara:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.