Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a gps but with so many out there which one do I buy? Those of you who know more about these toys what gps unit should I get that won't break the bank and still do everything I need it to. I will mostly be using for hunting and playing around. Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well it all really depends on what you want from it.... But the Rhino is a nice one that I am looking at.... yeah it is a little pricey but you also get the radio aspect from it.... and if you and your hunting partner have one you can send each other your cordinates and know exactly where each other is at..... so if you have children and are at a fair or park then that could be usefull to locate your children in a speedy manner.....

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
My hunting partner and I have tried the Rhino's. They're not as easy to yse as you might think. No range and satilite coverage was poor at best.
I have my first GPS-a Garmin GPS12- and it has worked without a flaw for several years! It is easy to set up and simple to use!
Just my opninion!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
For years I have used the Garmin units, both personally, and with the NYS DEC. They are excellent. I have owned the Model 40, Model 12, and now am using the Summit. I take this unit up to northern Maine and Canada each year so it gets a good workout over two weeks I spend hunting remote country.

If you are really hunting in vast wilderness, I recommend buying one with an electric compass built in, so that it will give you an instantaneous bearing. Otherwise you will have to walk 30 yards or so to get the bearing from the unit, which is a pain the the ***.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have the garmin 12 and like it. I saw the rino last week and was not impressed. I would rather have a walkie talkie and a gps I do not want to use my batteries talking and get stuck with no battery life because I left the walkie talkie on.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I've been using the Garmin Etrex Legend. Love it! It has plenty of bells and whistles, but not as pricey as the Vista. I got mine from Amazon.com for $150 after rebate last spring. No electronic compass, but you should be carrying a real compass anyway. I bought it for hunting, but it has proven to be usefull on my boat and even when driving. The only complaints i have are the small screen size (only matters when driving, hasn't been an issue when hunting/hiking) and that occasionally I'll lose satellite reception in heavy tree cover.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Strut,

The electronic compass feature isn't to replace your actual compass (i carry 3 in addition to my GPS). The electronic compass is great because it gives you an INSTANT BEARING. So with your Legend, you have to start walking in a relatively straight line for 20 yards or so, until the unit gives you a bearing, and the bearing you get is in relation to the line you just walked, not the direction you are holding the GPS. (This is very confusing for novice GPS users). With the Elec. compass, you simply pull the unit out of you pocket, hold it level and it gives you an instant bearing in relation to how the Unit is being held. This works much faster, and you don't have to walk around the woods all day getting bearings from your unit. Simply turn it on, and boom, you have your bearing. It also helps your unit keep a lock on a sat. signals, so it is harder to lose your signal in heavy cover.

For anyone who actually uses their GPS in wilderness, trust me, you will be very glad you have this feature. Just remeber to always have 2 "real" compasses with you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a GPS 12 and love it. Reconvapor has etrex for sale on the classifieds for $82. and they retail at over $100 at Cabelas. I don't know much about the etrex, but they are garmin and should be good stuff.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sams club has a good deal on a Magellan Meridian package. I don't have a GPS yet, but I borrowed a friends Meridian and was using it pretty well after playing with it for 2 days. I really want a Garmin 76sMap or 176. Just waiting to find free money in a old jacket pocket.

Dayton

·
Registered
830 Posts
Meleagris1

I understand what you are saying about the electronic compass. I have the 12 and I carry a large compass around my neck. I hit the go to button and it will give me a bearing from where I am standing but the direction needle won't be accurate till you start walking over 3 mph.
I look at the gps then set my compass and use the compass to travel every once in a while I check the gps.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Garmin V is the best for in woods use. Tried several others and they didn't get a good lock in the woods. I use the topo map and lock in waypoints on my PC and download the maps to the unit. You get back home and upload it to yor PC and save it till you go to that area again. I have turkey hunt areas saved and deer areas saved and when it's time to go I upload it and I'm off. Also does streets and plots on-road to your destination. If you go to other places or hunt public lands it's great. You can load topo and street maps at the same time. I can get about 1/2 the state loaded in it.

Bought and returned the Garmin 76 Map - wouldn't work in the woods at all. Sent it back to the factory and they said get the V if you want to lock under cover.
Also a Magellin 330. Worked great in the woods but the topo and map features wasn't even close to the Garmins so I sold it too.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have the Garmin III plus and enjoy orienteering so much with it and a map in the mountains, that I tell myself I need to be concentrating on hunting.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have not had much luck in the wood's with any GPS I have had.
Like Melagris1 said you often have to walk 20 yard's to get a bearing. Which is often almost impossible. But my mellgan Meridian is great when you are on a boat,car or bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love my GPS MAP76... I just wish I would have bought the MAP76S with 24M of memory instead of my current 8M.

Nice big screen, easy menu, and pretty user-friendly overall. I've also rarely had problems getting a signal, even in the deep woods of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. You can interface it with your PC too (as with a lot of GPSs now), and view topes you've loaded on your screen.

They have really come down in price... I think I paid ~$315 for my MAP76 over a year ago, and now I could get one for $248... here is a great site for good prices:

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/

·
Registered
341 Posts
Get the Rino by Garmin...the 110 model is well enough at about $169. With built in radios that work well... from my experience you can't go wrong.

Lane

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts