Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest to plant, the easiest to grow, and the most effective for smaller area's???

I put out 4) plots that measure about 50' X 30'.... I used Imperial No-Plow raked the ground put down 12-12-12 and Lime and all I got was a little Clover and some really tall green grass (maybe Rye?)...

Not to happy with the results.... Is there anything that you have found that works better???

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure about the growing season in your area, but here in Eastern Ky, my family has always had luck with corn, soybeans, clover, and any greens such as mustard, kale, or turnip. All relatively easy to plant and can be planted in as large, or small an area as you want.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm have a good looking plot with Buckwheat. I didn't expect much because we couldn't till the ground very well but, after 2-3 week that stuff is coming up everywhere! Too early to tell how many deer will use it though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Too much rain

I have had the same problem on my two 1.25 acre plots.

I started out with Round-up waited for everything to die and then disked the ground. Afterwards I used a broadcast spreader filled with 13-13-13 @ 500 lbs per acre. Then I used the spreader to put out the seed @ 12 lbs per acre.
The final step was to run a tine harrow over the ground with the tines pointed up.
After that, all I need was rain and boy did it rain. I think the rain washed a lot of my seed away. The plot that did the best had a lot of dead grass clumps in it. This helped hold some of the seed in place. The other plot use to be in row crops, so runoff was pretty bad. Next time I plan to put down a cover crop of oats to help hold the soil in place.
The seed I used was Buck Spring and Buck Fall. These seeds are sold by Wildlife Buffet. I plan to replant these areas again and use their product again. The person I spoke with (Howard Lux) was very helpful, taking the time to answer all my questions and getting back with me if he didn't have the answer at that moment.
One thing that Howard told me is not plant the seed too deep. He said that they have had more failures with the seed being planted too deep than anything else.
Another problem that I may have had with my row crop area is chemical residue in the soil. I may have to wait a couple of years for the chemicals to leave the soil.
Good Luck

http://www.wildlifefoodplots-made-ez.com/

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
A Corn Pile....

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
we put in three different clovers and chicory. this is our first try at it and in the last two weeks it getting hammered.we have about 1/2 acre total in two plots.

·
Registered
802 Posts
As far a buckwheat goes, my dad planted some this year about 5 acres. And the deer are absolutely hammering it. He also has corn, soybean, and alfalfa field within a halfmile of the buckwheat and he says they seem to be favoring the buckwheat at the moment. Probably because it is green and tender right now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gatekeeper said:
I have had the same problem on my two 1.25 acre plot
I started out with Round-up waited for everything to die and then disked the ground. Afterwards I used a broadcast spreader filled with 13-13-13 @ 500 lbs per acre. Then I used the spreader to put out the seed @ 12 lbs per acre.
The final step was to run a tine harrow over the ground with the tines pointed up.
After that, all I need was rain and boy did it rain. I think the rain washed a lot of my seed away. The plot that did the best had a lot of dead grass clumps in it. This helped hold some of the seed in place. The other plot use to be in row crops, so runoff was pretty bad. Next time I plan to put down a cover crop of oats to help hold the soil in place.
The seed I used was Buck Spring and Buck Fall. These seeds are sold by Wildlife Buffet. I plan to replant these areas again and use their product again. The person I spoke with (Howard Lux) was very helpful, taking the time to answer all my questions and getting back with me if he didn't have the answer at that moment.
One thing that Howard told me is not plant the seed too deep. He said that they have had more failures with the seed being planted too deep than anything else.
Another problem that I may have had with my row crop area is chemical residue in the soil. I may have to wait a couple of years for the chemicals to leave the soil.
Good Luck

http://www.wildlifefoodplots-made-ez.com/
Sorry Gatekeeper but Roundup alone has no activity in the soil. Once its comes in contact with soil and dries its inactive. so those of you that are spraying bare ground with roundup hoping you are preventing something "coming thru" are wasting herbicide and money. now if you have been using other herbicides that might be different . but unlees you used some sort of sterilant( which i highly doubt since you said it was row crop areas) you aren't going to have to wait years for the soil to be usable and even then you could replant in six months at the most. but roundup alone does not warrant this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Roundup

rtreefanatic,

I only used Roundup in an area that had a thick stand of fescue. I wasn't spraying the bare ground of the row crop area with Roundup.

The chemical residue in the soil comment is only a thought. I base this off something a friend of mine had said when he wanted to convert an area that was in row crops to brome. He said that he would need to wait a couple of years for the chemicals to leave the soil for a nice stand of brome to grow.
I have to believe that he knows what he is talking about since his family farms over 4000 acres yearly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
might work

try sugar beets. I am trying them this yr

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gatekeeper said:
rtreefanatic,

I only used Roundup in an area that had a thick stand of fescue. I wasn't spraying the bare ground of the row crop area with Roundup.

The chemical residue in the soil comment is only a thought. I base this off something a friend of mine had said when he wanted to convert an area that was in row crops to brome. He said that he would need to wait a couple of years for the chemicals to leave the soil for a nice stand of brome to grow.
I have to believe that he knows what he is talking about since his family farms over 4000 acres yearly.
gatekeeper,
i hope you didn't take that wrong. i was not trying to be cocky. i'm sure your friend knows what he's doing.
but my family has owned and operated pest control companies for over 25 years. i am a certified pest control operator and use roundup on a daily basis. i was just trying to clarify a few things about roundup thats all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
rtreefanatic,

Oh no...not a problem. I only want to cite my source.

It's cool.

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,527 Posts
1/4 acre BioLigic plots are unreal. Premium peranial overseeded w/ Maxim works awesome!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
B-DUB said:
What is the easiest to plant, the easiest to grow, and the most effective for smaller area's???

I put out 4) plots that measure about 50' X 30'.... I used Imperial No-Plow raked the ground put down 12-12-12 and Lime and all I got was a little Clover and some really tall green grass (maybe Rye?)...

Not to happy with the results.... Is there anything that you have found that works better???

Thanks
What about canopy? In my experience, no-plow is awesome, but it requires lots of daylight, so we don't use it in heavily wooded areas w/out a lot of
chainsaw work. Also, try Pennington rackmaster deer greens supreme. Wal
Mart carrys it here. It has rape, kale, and turnips premixed and innoculated for
$10. Works very well in wooded areas with limited sunlight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts