Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best string silencer? i had stealth leech's but they fall apart in only a few shots. migth have to go back to whiskers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put on spyder speed silencers. I'm real happy with them. I feel like they really made my string quiet and possibly picked up a little speed.
Has anybody else tried these?

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
The old string leeches apparently came apart for some people. If you get the 2003 models or later (they are very different than the pre 2002) you won't have any problem. I have over 1000 shots on my leeches with no signs of tearing. I do think they work better than the whoskers I had used for years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Beware

I have the speed spiders on too, but earlier I tried the spiders with speed balls. That didn't work very well. The speed ball traveled forward enough to contact my cable, right where it splits. It nearly parted it before I noticed what was going on. They say that whiskers will travel enough to contact, but they don't cause much damage. I haven't had any problem with just the spiders.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
They were bought in 2003, but are not the "2003 model". They were probably left over from last year in the bow shop where you got them. I had to get my dealer to order new ones(even though he had some on the wall) becasue there is a big difference in durability.

I have yet to hear from someone who has had a problem with the newer model. The newer model isn't flat on top and bottom, its has small arms that extend out of the body, . . . . like this

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have had the stealth models fail but not since putting them in the proper position. Bought two new bows this year and the top one on both bows tore. When I replaced them I noticed they were in a position to hit the cable yolk on top and the cable on bottom. I placed the new ones where they don't hit and have hundreds of shots on them with no sign of wear. I do prefer them over whiskers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would suggest " wooly whispers". I have mainly used whiskers and I have tried string leaches with detrimental effects. These things were just what I was looking for.

These wooly whispers I came by while bear hunting. They are made primarily for Traditional bows but are working quite nicely on my compound. They are half the weight of whiskers and quiet the string nicely. The fella that makes them is a super nice fella namd Ray.
You can check them out at www.whitewatercrk.com

JonR

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Alpine Archery

String Things, they work great and last forever.:D Leeches work good on my cables, but the string things are the only way to go on a string.:) Quieter than whiskers too. Give em' a try.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I have always just used speed balls. Combine them with limb savers and a good stabilizer (my favorite is a enhancer 2000 w/ a tranquilizer) and you don't really need anything else.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I use butterflies...:D The thing most people do is move them up and down the string and end up cutting them without knowing it...Install them and leave um alone....;)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
TruBall Spider Silencers

I have been using these for 3 years now and they give extra speed and silence the bowstring nicely. Plus they are very durable I have used the same set on two bows now and they are still in great shape.

·
Registered
321 Posts
FWIW,I thought the Leeches were quieter than the whiskers that I am currently using.Not very durable though.I had the ones that came installed on my new Razortec.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you guys want to test and see how different ones work, without anything attached to you string hold the bow sideways, put the string about 12in from your computer screen and pluck the string,because of the refresh rate of you monitor you can see the string vibrate, then put whatever ones you want to use on and repete. Make sure theres a light colored screen desplayed.
You will be surprised at how much the string vibrates with out anything to stop it. But the way the string leaches work the best. I have found that with bows with not much twist in the string the leaches last much longer, like my Hoyts have never had one go bad, I have had to tie them in to keep them from moveing. On the other hand my Bowtechs and KO-32 with WC string that are really twisted tight eat them rather Quick, Im testing the Diamond shaped one they sell at WalMart right now and concidering how they are twisted in the WC strings there doing great.

·
Registered
385 Posts
do those diamond shape silencers work well? noise and vibration wise that is.

Brian

·
Registered
83 Posts
spider w/speedballs

everyone stay aways from them i had them on my bow and as someone allready metiond them coming into contact with stirngs well i didnt notice till i drew m bow one day at the range and they almost split completly on me where the speed balls where slowly cutting my buss cables in my opion speed balls is another gimick to get our money

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
cat whiskers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts