Archery Talk Forum banner

Whats the best way to bow hunt coyotes

2519 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  daspope
This paragraph is kind of long but I put in all the problems that these coyote have caused that may help with the hunting situation. What I would like to know is dose any body have experience in hunting coyote with a bow that could give me some tips on hunting them and whats the best way.
(Were having some trouble with coyotes around here they have droped the rabbit population alot over the last two years. They have been causing alot of problems at my exgirl friends farm she has 150 acers 80 of it is woods and the rest is fields that there dairy cows are on and just a few days ago one had a calf and the coyotes killed it but it was not long before that they had taken on a full grown heffer they tore her up bad but she got away and it was just last year 7 of them stalked a friend of theres back to his truck after bow hunting.)
The questions that I have is would I use a tree stand or ground blind.
Do I use a bait pile or do I just let them wander by.
Do you take the leader of the group. EXP(Dominent Male or Female)
I dont have any traps but I wish to get some when I move.
But thats all I wanted to know and thanks for the advice.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Hunting from a blind would be your best bet. You can use a treestand but in my experience, I have seen more from a blind. Watch the wind, even in a blind as the yotes have great noses! Use an electronic caller or some coyote calls and wait. Squealling rabbit or distressed fawn bleat call works good. You can even put a decoy out at 20-30yds to give them a visual. A stuffed animal works ok, I didn't go out and buy one.

So a search on the bowhunting section or here on the general section, someone started a thread about bowhunting coyotes I think.

Hope this helps.
Bowgal

G

·
If they are killin your cows the best way is with an AR-15 and a big magazine, w/bow a ground blind, elec caller and a moving decoy. oh yeah and lots a patience youll need it

· snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,984 Posts
ummmm

I think if they are stalking PEOPLE in groups of 5+ I would seriously ditch the bow and carry a semi-auto 12ga fulla heavy turkey loads.

Hunt with a partner...one carry a rifle for first/longer shots and the other a shotgun for the ones that run after the first shot or the closer ones.

If i was gunna bowhunt em I would definately carry a pistol.

· Registered
417 Posts
Well here is my 2 cents to you go to www.HuntSmart.com they carry alot of predator calls i paid $115.00 for mine 5 years ago it uses cassette tapes and i got a bunch of them they also have mouth calls then go to cabelas.com and got some Hevi Shot"DeadCoyote" i use the 3inch shells it will put a Coyote down at 65yards i shoot Coyotes all year long on my land and my leaseland ajoining mine its a total of 1100 acres and i have shot 92 this calender year so far using rifle(22-250 -204ruger-270) and shotgun(12ga turkeychoke) i like to use a buddy ladder stand about 12foot off the ground it has a big shootingrail i have a 400,000cp spotlight mounted on it and i use a red cover lens i only turn it on to shoot i use nightvision binocculars to look for them hope it helps

Joe

· Registered
17,332 Posts
I've had the best luck at bowhunting 'yotes by not using a treestand or a pop-up blind but by actually building natural brush blinds and predator calling from these locations. Judging by the small amount of acreage you have access to though, you would only get basically one good set-up so don't expect a lot from that one farm. However, as mentioned, IF these 'yotes are truly problematic like you mentioned then you should take MUCH more serious steps towards them then a measly bowhunt! I'd grab a .22-250 and "get-r-dun"! This problem should be addressed more seriously than a couple of bowhunts. Good luck and good huntin' :thumbs_up

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hunting coyotes

well all we have is a 30-30 bolt action & a 30-6 lever action both with a scope and I think they are both 60-65 years old but still in real good shape they have been in there case for 15 years so they probably need to be oiled but anyways were I am its illegal to use rifles so all we got is a 12 gauge shot gun pump action but we have 3 loads for it buckshot,Brenekees,and 3 inch magnums & I think a friend of ares has our 20 gauge shot gun but I found out that they have a friend trapping them with legholds but I think he had to pull them up with winter starting.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm doing THIS now.....

take a post hole digger to your hunt sight and dig a 1 to 1 1/2' deep post hole. Dump dry dog food in it [quart or so],then drop sardines or catfood 'fish' flavor over the dry food. Scatter a bit of canned cat food around the hole to spread scent. I buy 3 for 85 cent cheap catfood with the tab top lids for easy opening,,pocket size cans. Put your bait hole off to one side of the prevalant wind direction from your tree stand,,about 20 yards,,and easy bow shot [hopefully]. I don't hunt these areas right away,,,just stop by and rebait the hole every few day/days. When ready to hunt it,,bait it with the smelliest fish flavor [the cat food cans have wild names,,"tuna splendor" or something like that!] AFTER you get the portable set up. Once you uncork the fish flavor can the wind can take it quickly downwind so you want to be 'set up' as quickly as possible. This also gets your scent off the ground area - not all,,but at least 15' fee 'up' the tree.
Hunt the spot for a half hour,,if no action,,then call with rabbit or woodpecker call. Call SHORT,,only a 20 second period or so. You want the yotes to come but let the bait work for you. They will circle downwind [I'm in a woody area] and the bait smell will bring them in.
NEAT thing about the post hole,,,you draw your bow when their head is 'in' the hole.
Alan in GA / BECKER EXTERMINATING CO. INC.

· Registered
518 Posts
AR-15 with hi-cap mags or a semi auto shotgun w/ heavy turkey loads and the dowel removed so you can carry 6-8 shots (depending on your gun)

if they come in in packs, try to wait for the mother of all shots IE. the pass thru will hit another yote or 2 from your firts shot, then just unleash hell on them.

the guy that was talking about digging post holes has got a good plan there, just replace bow with a weapon you can spray lead from.

kill as much of the pack as possible and set up the blind some where else.

rinse and repeat.

you dont need the AR-15 it just works well, I use a Ruger 10/22 with a 50 rnd mag because theres no limit here on magazine capacity for rimfire hunting. I have the scope up on high rise mounts so that after i take my one well placed shot I can spray lead at the others. and 10/22's can be had cheap and the stocks are really cheap I got one for 5$ on ebay and painted it.

good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.