Archery Talk Forum banner

Whats the closest you guys will practice?

1803 Views 35 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  mainehunt
I live in a small [but lovable] condo. Twenty feet is about as much as I can get as far as a shooting lane - maybe 25' realistically. Does anyone else practice at these micro-ranges? By the way - one arrow to a dot-bullseye to save my arrows.

Pete
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,897 Posts
I can only regularly shoot at 20 yards. The main thing is shooting and working on form. A few weeks before the season starts I do like to get out and shoot from 40 to 60 yards though. That makes 20 yards seem like a chip shot. You are doing right about one arrow per dot though.:)

· Registered
152 Posts
when it is raining outside or the wheather just does not permit outside practice, i shoot in my garage at about 25'. One of the best things to work on at those distances is form don't really worry about hitting a spot, but occasionally I will shoot at arrow holes in the target while trying to use perfect form.

· Registered
952 Posts
3 yards with my target bow. Many shoots I go to have a 3 yard target butt's with small birdie spots. Practice down to 20 yard with my hunting bow. Anything closer is with in a few inches of my 20 yard pin. Good enough for hunting, but NOT target.

But most of my practice is done at 3 yards. I shoot at a blank target, and work on my form, timing & stamina. Actually just came inside from shooting in my garage. Just shot around 30-35 arrow working on my form.

· Registered
11,771 Posts
I shoot every night in my basement, probably 8-9 yards at most. Just working on muscle memory and form....wish I could shoot 60 every night but just don't have a place where thats possible. You will improve your shot by working on form at close range, blank baling, etc...'94

· Registered
1,957 Posts
20m practise is the usual, but after taking a shot at an animal at 5m, I realised I needed to practise more with the close ones (at that range I had no idea were to put the pin).

· Registered
1,272 Posts
I have a paper setup in my basement an shoot at 6yds alot working on my form shooting bullet holes 20 orso times is't easy atleast not for me

· Registered
1,258 Posts
i never shoot less than 20 yards, and can shoot 30 and 40 . when it rains don't shoot, thats not very offten we are in a drought here in tex.

· Registered
127 Posts
Yep

10 yards in my basement. Thats all I get. Better than nothing. My stuff is all new and I am tuning everything. Just tonight I missed the block due to working on my release travel. Direct hit into the wood. Glad I didn't hit the window. Arrows a little bent at the tip.:mg:

· Registered
3,962 Posts
just make up some micro sized targets...i have different sized targets that i use proportional scale to make so its like im always shooting at the same size target...if its an 8 in target and its ment to be shot at 40 but i can only practice at 20 then i make it a 4 in target...if i need the same target at 10 then its a 2 in target...now obviously scores wont be accurate at the close ranges but it gets you used to it...

· Registered
2,847 Posts
I have a 20 yard target in the backyard - used mostly for tuning and sighting in. But the 80 yard range I have at work is where most of the shooting happens. And most of it happens at 50 to 80 yards. Although I have never killed any big game animals at more than 40 yards, the shots inside of 50 are like a chip shot.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
I shall have to try this thing you call bsmt. shooting...I've thought about it, but never did it. I guess I've been worried about that one errant shot. I do practice at five yards at my 3d from tree stand height though.

· Registered
2,737 Posts
My most improvement has come when I started practicing at 20' in my garage in the winter.I was able to work on form,mechanics and BT.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I practice regularly in my basement at 9 yards or closer.

Working on form and the release, that range is great.

Do it often as you can and it will improve your shooting.

Good luck!

· Registered
480 Posts
i never shoot less than 20 yards, and can shoot 30 and 40 . when it rains don't shoot, thats not very offten we are in a drought here in tex.
and the drought was great, i got to shoot for about 2 hours every day in my back yard

but here in houston we just got 5 inches over the weekend

my backyard where i can shoot up to 25 yards is under water

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.