Archery Talk Forum banner

What's the deal with a kisser button?

12K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  matjac 
#1 ·
I'm fairly new to archery and i have been shooting with some friends using kisser buttons and some not. I'm interested in knowing the advantages and disadvantages of using one. I know that its a good way of having a consistent fixed point when a bow is at full draw but does it have any effect on the flight of the arrow?

#3 ·
For new archers, the advantages are huge. You get a consistent anchor point off of it to help maintain consistent form.

When you have consistent form, you shoot better.

The only con - you lose 2-3 FPS of speed (kissers with the crimping nock tends to be about 7 grains...every 3 grains = 1 FPS loss)

-Steve

#4 ·
I think learning to shoot with both a peep and a kisser teaches you to check more than one reference point at full draw. If you shoot with a kisser long enough, you can learn to shoot without a peep for better visability when hunting. Some say that they see well enough with the big peeps but can they shoot in the dark with a flashlight to assist like I can? If you also shoot with a kisser only long enough,, you can do very well also without the kisser! The peep and the kisser especially teaches you what feels right at full draw.

The problem with shooting with a peep and kisser with a moveable single sight pin at longer yardages is that you can feel yourself coming off the kisser to see through the peep as the sight housing goes lower on the long shots. That's when you can only rely on the peep to make the shot. To me it felt wrong at long range shooting so I had to choose which I was going to keep. For me it was the kisser because I found that I could shoot equally well without the peep and hunting is what I do the most of. Long range practicing for hunting is my only other concern.

#9 ·
For ALL archers, the advantages are huge. You get a consistent anchor point off of it to help maintain consistent form.

When you have consistent form, you shoot better.

The only con - you lose 2-3 FPS of speed (kissers with the crimping nock tends to be about 7 grains...every 3 grains = 1 FPS loss)

#10 ·
the kisser button to me is huge i love the fact of knowing that when i pull it back i know excatly were the string should lay and if its not... im doing something wrong. good luck shooting and this is just me when it comes down to it its all up to you. dont ever let someone tell you what to buy, get what is right for you no one is excatly the same as oneanother.

#11 ·
Something I've noticed is that guys who are used to having a kisser will reach for it. It seems like once they're used to having it in the corner of their mouth whether their draw is right or not they'll reach to get it there. I've got some buddies who shoot with a kisser button that have draws that have to be an inch and a half long, but they're craning way back to get that thing in their mouths.

I'm sure it can be a valuable tool for a beginner but I've also seen it's effectiveness totally negated by a bow that didn't fit them properly.

#15 ·
Install it where it feels comfortable to you at your normal anchor point then serve it in place. I actually use a rubber eliminator button for a kisser. It's smaller and won't shoot off the string for a VERY long time. I don't put the kisser in the corner of my mouth, I put it to the front of my lips so it moves straight away instead of scraping along the side of my lips. My nose is centered on the string and my index finger knuckle is in the pocket behind my earlobe. Solid three point reference and would be a fourth point if I used a peep but I only use a kisser.

#14 ·
it doesnt do any thing to arrow flight! its not necessary if you have a peep sight but i find it more comfortable and easier to find ur anchor

#23 ·
Using a kisser is a matter of personal preference. I find that the additional reference point is helpful in establishing a consistent anchor.

The only advice I can offer in the way of using a kisser is the big "buttons" are totally unnecessary. I presently use a crimp-on nockset as a kisser, but you can get away with just a few turns of serving thread or dental floss with a small bundle of knots.

The lips are very sensitive and will easily find a tiny kisser. The "button" is counterproductive because it adds weight and can be uncomfortable.

#24 ·
I used a kisser button for a long time, on my new setup instead of a kisser button, I took some serving string and tied a large knot where my kisser normally was, I found that this works better for me, not as large as a kisser, but small enough that I can still feel it in the corner of my mouth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.