Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it weight in the right place, length, or reduced vibration that gives the ability to help with accuracy. I see some stabilizers that are only 4" long and weigh 4 oz's. How does something that short and light help you hold more steady?

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Length and weight at the tip, adjustable weight of course. Everything else is just nonsense and gimmickry.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Distall weight suspended on the end of a stiff, consistent rod makes for the best shooting stab in my expierence.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
The ability to balance your bow well. The proper weight at the end of the stabilizer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't think it does help. You have to have significant weight in the right place, or it isn't going to "stabilize" anything. I recently changed my stabilizer, and love it. It has more weight at the end of it and has definitely made a difference in being steady.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
...so the stiffness of a stab does not matter ?? oohhhh Buster , AT crew will eat You alive for that ....Ya should've known better :tongue: lol
It only matters on long rods, and it seems he's probably asking about a shorter stab for hunting. With rods 12" and shorter you won't notice a difference in stiffness. It's the same as with arrows....the shorter the shaft the stiffer it seems.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Legth, stiffness, weight, fit and finish, all of the above^^^^^^

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
It's like anything else, the more you shoot the more you know your bow and how you want it to feel. But only you know what you like. Some people say they also quite the bow down a little but I can't prove it.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Is it weight in the right place, length, or reduced vibration that gives the ability to help with accuracy. I see some stabilizers that are only 4" long and weigh 4 oz's. How does something that short and light help you hold more steady?
thats more for sound deadening than anything, not much stability in a 4" 4oz stab (if you want to even call it that) the most important feature is exactly what its name implies-------stabilizer, a combo of weight distribution, vibration/ sound deadening characteristics

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
When I started shooting a compound bow, finding the right stabilizer was the most frustrating part of the whole deal. I tried many with the hopes finding one that would do what a stabilizer is supposed to do. I soon found that the majority of stabilizers only dampen vibration and do absolutely nothing to help stabilize a bow.
I was ready to make my own when B Stinger came along. 14 ounces of weight out front worked wonders for me. It was everything that I was looking for. I could hold steady and it dampened vibration.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I can tell you one thing from my experience, the doinker dish works... groups got tighter and my pins don't dance as much since I got it. Was shooting a doinker a-bomb before.

Sent via dixie cup string phone...

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Bottom line is balance and inertia.
You want the stabs to help hold the bow (balance) and you want them to help keep the bow in place while the arrow is coming off the bow (inertia).
The most efficient way to achieve both is to have an extremely light and rigid bar, with weights at furthest point....moving it moment of inertia furthest away, requiring less weight.
some newer hunting stabs sacrifice the balance (lets face it, a <12" hunting stab isnot going to balance out these parallel limb bows) and puts a big honkin weight on the end. This more than satisfies the inertia requirement and is why guys see a noticable improvement, but then get form and fatigue issues when shooting a lot of shots. Your body needs to be in the right position to shoot these well.
I agree, the 4"/4oz ain't doing squat other than adding 4oz. Much better to hang it off the back and get some length out front.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts