Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buddie are what I call pretty good shoots I just got into this indoor stuff seriouslly this past year he has been doing it for years.. after about 3 months I shot my first 300 since then I have hit it a few times maybe a 9 now and then but what will it take to hit that competitive level a proffessional school / seminar maybe I am looking for results to fast maybe more years of practice? what can I do to take my archery to the next level..Now I am not looking for a new product or a cure all just some proffesional advice.. Thanks

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com ;)

My website will allow you to progress your shooting skills quickly & reach a higher level of shooting. What you need now is a solid foundational knowldge of form, shot execution, shot process, and equipment setup. You certianly have the drive, you just need the right info!

-Adam

9,027 Posts
Competition

I have to say that Adam was pretty direct with what you need to do...and I agree. Another thing you may want to do is get a hold of Bernie Pellerites book "Idiot Proof Archery" and read it. There is a lot of imformation that you will glean from it. After that look into a professional shooting school. Online archery instruction may be good but there is not the one on one interaction that is sometimes necessary...or maybe there is given the advances in technology. :shade:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Get a Coach

The best thing you can do to be competitive is to get a real coach. Guys like GRIV, Bernie and who ever else can give you great information...however they are not coaches they are instructors. A coach needs to be with you most of the time when you shoot, they need to see the good and bad and be familiar enough with you that they can tell when things are going good or not. I currently have two coaches and between them they can usually straighten me out when something goes wrong. As far as finding one, your state org. should have a list...if not of coaches of registered Pros who usually will either coach you themselves or can point you in the right direction.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
If they can't do it, they coach it ....

If you're going to pay somebody make sure they can shoot.
Ryals
Wilde
Broadwater
Are a few to consider.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts

Ryals
Wilde
Broadwater
Are a few to consider.
----------

What he said.Gose for me.

Any body can take your money.:wink:

·
NFAA
2,624 Posts
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com ;)

My website will allow you to progress your shooting skills quickly & reach a higher level of shooting. What you need now is a solid foundational knowldge of form, shot execution, shot process, and equipment setup. You certianly have the drive, you just need the right info!

-Adam
I have started using Adam's site and the help has been really good. The big thing is to put the time in to learn to do it right. When the Pro's go up to shoot they aren't thinking about how their shot should go off, it just does. Building that muscle memory the right way has been my biggest issue, but I am getting past it with Adam's help. I can "punch" a 300/50x any day, but I also have a bunch of 299's as well. It all comes down to practicing the right way....:wink:

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts

Ryals
Wilde
Broadwater
Are a few to consider.
Was that directed towards me Bob??? :boink:

-Adam

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts

Ryals
Wilde
Broadwater
Are a few to consider.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Even teachers aren't perfect models of consistency and repetition; just look at Tiger Woods and Hank Haney. You think Tiger would have avoided Haney just because Hank couldn't hit a straight drive to save his life?

Just because you can't execute a movement doesn't mean that you don't know the correct theory behind it. I can't tell you how many shooters I've met that consistently shoot scores in the high 440s and 300s with high X counts that literally don't know a thing about their equipment or shooting form.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
Was that directed towards me Bob??? :boink:

-Adam

Nope, It's an old saying that I've heard for decades.

If I'm going to pay somebody to teach me something and he/she can't shoot 28/29 X's on a Vegas face or mid 550's on a field course I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.
But that's me.

How is some guy shooting 535 on a field course worth paying unless you're shooting 500's ?

Cherry, it isn't theory I want, it's execution ...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Me and my buddie are what I call pretty good shoots I just got into this indoor stuff seriouslly this past year he has been doing it for years.. after about 3 months I shot my first 300 since then I have hit it a few times maybe a 9 now and then but what will it take to hit that competitive level a proffessional school / seminar maybe I am looking for results to fast maybe more years of practice? what can I do to take my archery to the next level..Now I am not looking for a new product or a cure all just some proffesional advice.. Thanks
Learn that it isn't about competing, just executing.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See I had a guy who was a great shooter back in the day he has ton of knowledge won multiple state titles went to Bernies school he was helping me with some stuff for about 2 months but he has a grandson that is shooting now and he cant give to much time anymore which I totally understand plus he works all week away out of state I just wanna take my archery to the next level..I seen that Griv school next week but I couldent make it .. I purchased all of Bernies tapes and they were helpful but I am just that type of person who needs 1 on 1 coaching or learning.. I need some to tell me what my setup lacks and what I am doing wrong.. I asked a matthews pro great indoor shooter and pro 3D archer but he said his teaching is more geared toward youth not 37 year old men.. I kinda understand so now I am a little hesitante about asking anyone for help but this is something I always wanted and now I have to freedom to persue this and I want to take full advantage of it..sorry for rambling..

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
Nope, It's an old saying that I've heard for decades.

If I'm going to pay somebody to teach me something and he/she can't shoot 28/29 X's on a Vegas face or mid 550's on a field course I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.
But that's me.

How is some guy shooting 535 on a field course worth paying unless you're shooting 500's ?

Cherry, it isn't theory I want, it's execution ...

I agree with that, certainly. Seemed a little misplaced the way you said it..

Good thing I meet your standards ;)

I would also state that not not all shooters are teachers & not all teachers are shooters. It is uncommon to have a solid mixture of both although, guys like Michael B, Cuz & Griv are obviously the upper echelon of our sport.

-Adam

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
See I had a guy who was a great shooter back in the day he has ton of knowledge won multiple state titles went to Bernies school he was helping me with some stuff for about 2 months but he has a grandson that is shooting now and he cant give to much time anymore which I totally understand plus he works all week away out of state I just wanna take my archery to the next level..I seen that Griv school next week but I couldent make it .. I purchased all of Bernies tapes and they were helpful but I am just that type of person who needs 1 on 1 coaching or learning.. I need some to tell me what my setup lacks and what I am doing wrong.. I asked a matthews pro great indoor shooter and pro 3D archer but he said his teaching is more geared toward youth not 37 year old men.. I kinda understand so now I am a little hesitante about asking anyone for help but this is something I always wanted and now I have to freedom to persue this and I want to take full advantage of it..sorry for rambling..
I spent my misplaced youth shooting field tournaments. Get to know those guys and pick their brains. Ask questions. Ask for help.
I see people helping others on the practice butts all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts