Archery Talk Forum banner

whats the reason for a stablizer?

1246 31
Like the title says, I have wondered if I should put a stab on my bow. I shoot really tight groups now, so is there a point of putting more weight on my bow. I don't shoot league, but shoot 3D from time to time. Would a stab suit my purpose? Thanks.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
13,543 Posts
I have hunted and shot without one for several seasons; they are not necessary. They do quiet the bow, however, and they offset the weight of your quiver, and provide more "stability" than not having one. For accuracy, they help me on longer range shooting, but make no real difference on shorter shots.

· Registered
3,425 Posts
A stabilizer does just that, stabilizes. If you shoot well without one, then you will shoot better WITH one!

· Registered
276 Posts
just did this myself. I shot good groups with out one but I installed one and have become more consistent and have less float. By more consistent I mean I have had fewer pulled shots. Might work for ya might not. Go to a bow shop and shoot some and see what ya think. I shot several before I chose the one I got.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
There's alot more to properly stabilizing your bow then just screwing a weighted rod into the riser. Once you've shot with a properly stabilized bow, from 10 yds to 80+ yards, you'll probably never want to shoot without one. But yeah, for hunting situations at 20 yds or so +/-, eh.............

· Registered
13,543 Posts
There's alot more to properly stabilizing your bow then just screwing a weighted rod into the riser. Once you've shot with a properly stabilized bow, from 10 yds to 80+ yards, you'll probably never want to shoot without one. But yeah, for hunting situations at 20 yds or so +/-, eh.............
Can you give some tips on properly stabilizing a bow?

· Banned
660 Posts
a front stabilizer will help the bow sit in your hand better during the shot, the main reason for the side rods, is to offset the weight of your sight and rest...I personally dont use a side bar, and I dont think anything more than 12" long is necessary, but thats just me, everyone is different

Experiment

· id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I think,lol. So basicly try it and see if any difference. I've had to start shooting 5 spot keep braking nocs. No robin hood yet though.

· Banned
660 Posts
I think it is worth a try for target shooting but for hunting I think that it's disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Doug
I believe that the only stabilizer worth using for hunting is a short stab. made entirely for quieting noise, such as the ones from Limbsaver/Simms

· Registered
4,445 Posts
a front stabilizer will help the bow sit in your hand better during the shot, the main reason for the side rods, is to offset the weight of your sight and rest...I personally dont use a side bar, and I dont think anything more than 12" long is necessary, but thats just me, everyone is different

Experiment
This is a very popular myth. A side bar is not to offset the weight of the sights, but to offset the natural cant of the shooter.

· Registered
8,662 Posts

Experiment
side rods have nothing to do with offsetting your sight weight and rest unless you think the 14 oz i run is whats needed to offset the 4 oz of sight and rest.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
Ok, but balance the bow while it is being held by the SHOOTER. Who cares how the bow "balances" when it is not being shot. What did you think I meant it balanced?
No you said cant that is not what side rods are to fix. they are to balance the bow and steady the dot or pin which ever you use. Basic rule of thumb for how much weight you put on it is with a 30" main and 3 oz you need a 9 oz on a 10 inch side. How does that have any thing to do with cant.

· Registered
27 Posts
Stabilizers serve many purposes, they absorb vibration and shock of the bow which helps to quiet the bow, they help balance the bow both front to back and side to side, and most important they serve as a good kickstand when the bow is not in use.
Just like alot of other things involved in shooting a bow you just have to play with it, shoot it, move the weight around until you get the most out of it for you.

· Registered
4,445 Posts
Yeah, but WHY do you need this offset weight to balance a bow that is not that un-balanced to begin with. You said it yourself! You and many others use 14-20+ oz. of weight on one side. The need comes from the natural cant of the shooter!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.