Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the secret to finding a honey hole of a hunting spot???
Is it food?
Funnel?
Trails?
Scrapes?
Rubs?
I know every ones got a favorite spot!!!! Whats it consist of????

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
There really is no secret...the honey holes are the ones that we know best. You become so in tuned with a spot you know when things are "different" and they become the "go to" location.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The secret answer is....

as much of a multitude in an combinations of the things you mentioned, other variables come into play, such as: season , if the ruts kicked in, pressure for other hunters , etc. You just have to find what works for the type of hunting your doing.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
3dbowmaster said:
Is it food?
Funnel?
Trails?
Scrapes?
Rubs?
Mine is a funnel with a well beaten trail littered with rubs and scrapes that leads to a cornfield.:tongue:

·
Registered
827 Posts
3dbowmaster said:
Is it food?
Funnel?
Trails?
Scrapes?
Rubs?
I would say all of the above.:wink:

I actually like to locate funnels that are located between bedding and feeding areas.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Yes indeed.........must be that time of the year...well actually it will be 60 days from this week.

Secret?

There's really no BIG SECRET to killing BIG BUCKS:

1. You must hunt in area that has BIG BUCKS.

2. You must hunt the 1st 2 weeks of November.

3. You must hunt from sunup to sundown.

4. You must hunt travel corridors.

5. You must stay away from bedding areas, and to a lesser degree food sources.

6. You must FORGET about everything at THE MOMENT of TRUTH with the exception of that small spot right behind the shoulder.

7. You must be PATIENT and have a STRONG MIND.

Easy.........as pie!!!!!!!!:tongue:

:darkbeer: :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
best time frame changes like here in south alabama we have zero rut activity, sometimes well into jan. (which is our best time frame, not nov., our season for guns isnt open till Nov. 23), it isnt uncommon for our rut to be in full swing in feb. when the season closes, so im not sure absolutely saying these are the best two weeks is legitimate but what do i know

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
My honey hole is just outside of a bedding area. I have 3 trails that lead to 2 trails that go into the bedding area. Early season I pick out the doe I want. I then set back and wait for the rut. The boys know where the ladies are at and they go there.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hard woods,Soybeans or corn, clearcut and a stream. Hunt in the middle of all these and its great until pressure puishes them away.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
My favorite area consists of a bedding area south of me that comes off a hill into a white oak flat and then continues to flow north into a nice funnel the deer use.
I love this spot because of all the animals i see from it. I killed my first bow buck in this spot 5 years ago and seen MANY bear also. I just keep going back to it because the area never goes with out action!!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'll Spill My Secret!!!

I will tell how I found my "Honey Hole".
This is on public land. I looked around for all the usual signs and hung my stand where it looked promising. The next morning I get out there about an hour before it gets light. I go up and down the same trail back and forth about four times and wonder where the heck I am. Then I just keep going in. I pass a wooden ground blind and pray and ask who ever might be in there not to shoot me. I know I am on the border of private/public, but I keep going because ain't no way I'm going past that ground blind again. Now its starting to lighten up so I hunker down and just hunt there. After it gets light I can tell that my "spot" is just over the hill off in front of me. I get up and start off across the old clear-cut to get up in my tree where I was supposed be. And that is when I found my favorite spot. Deer all over the place. Running full blast in every direction. I didn't get one that day, But I have been getting them there for five years now.:rock-on:

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
My "secret" is when the season ends in mid-Jan, while most others are laying around watching tv, I am walking my tail off looking for more info to piece the puzzle together. I do that till late Mar. No secret in hard work.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The "secret" to finding a honey hole is locating an area with minimal hunting pressure or bordering some sanctuary, THE you locate the sign.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Honey hole

Most honey holes are found where their is very low hunting pressure.Cover,food and water are important but pressure is what can make you or break you.Many honey holes are destroyed by to much early hunting.Deer are pattering the hunter instead of the other way around.Most big bucks are killed close to rut and do most of their moving at night.Under high hunting pressure a big buck might not be seen during daylight hours.Do your self a favor by staying out of honey hole until close to rut,only hunt when the wind is right,and most important do not over hunt that stand.Most people want to put their stand where the most deer sign is seen,this can be one of their biggest mistakes.You will be caught coming and going more often using this game plan.Hunt perimeters early then move a little closer toward rut.Always stay away from his bedding area,bump him a few times and he will be gone.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You can't hunt big bucks where there isn't any. Thats #1. Other than that all of the above that you've mentioned is important.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Team Hoyt PA said:
My favorite area consists of a bedding area south of me that comes off a hill into a white oak flat and then continues to flow north into a nice funnel the deer use.
I love this spot because of all the animals i see from it. I killed my first bow buck in this spot 5 years ago and seen MANY bear also. I just keep going back to it because the area never goes with out action!!!
Funny I have a stand in an area just like that! I love funnels period,on the way to food and/or bedding. Any where you can concentrate deer into a narrower area is a huge plus.

·
Registered
309 Posts
the best spot i know of to have great success hunting or fishing is being right next to me. :tongue: :wink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honey hole

PRESSURE-To find your honey hole get away from people. Two ways to do this. Climb to a totally inaccessable sight, and play the wind on that sight, hunt it sparingly. Or find a place in the wide open where no one would ever think to hunt, a thicket as small as 1/2 acre can hold a monster, because no one would think the deer was there, Tom:wink: .

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
WIbow said:
Funny I have a stand in an area just like that! I love funnels period,on the way to food and/or bedding. Any where you can concentrate deer into a narrower area is a huge plus.
If i find you in my stand on opening morning we might have a problem:wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts