Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what new bow to buy this year. I have read just about everything I can and shot several different bows. I am now stuck on this question...How much does brace height effect your shooting?

I have tested bows with a 7".6.5" and I have looked at bows as short as a 6" BH. When I am shooting at my local pro shop at 6 yards its impossible to tell. I realize it amplifies your mistakes but to what degree? I was at the same pro shop and spoke to 2 different guys who shoot for a major bow dealer. One guy said very little difference if you have relatively good form. The other said it makes a big difference with any slight change in even hand position.

I would like to hear from people who currently shoot different BH bows and get your opinions. If it helps I have a 28" draw and plan on shooting 70lbs so I would guess I would be somewhere around 300-310 FPS with a Reezen or XF Dream Season or Monster.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Good luck sorting through the opinions you will get.My first priority would be to decide what you are useing the bow for.If you are just useing it for hunting,then it isnt a huge factor IMO.But if you are planning on some 3-d or indoor target with it,then it becomes more critical.I personally would not go below 6" for any type of shooting.With the assortment of bows available and the speeds they are producing,I dont see any reason to.

·
have bow-will travel
3,993 Posts
IMO BH is a very important part of the package. Always shoot the highest BH that will give you the energy you are looking for. It will make those less than perfect shots from the tree or blind much more do-able.

As a side note I think before you buy anything you need read the Elite promise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using it for hunting. The only target shooting I do is to practice for hunting. I think I am just getting caught up on the whole speed issue. My current bow is only 265 FPS.

To me accuracy is important. If I am shooting at an animal at 40-50 yards and I make a little tweak in my release would I be like 1 " off on a 7" BH vs 6" off on a 6" BH?

I am just trying to define the term "less forgiving". I hear it all the time when people discuss BH but really it's a pretty subjective term. Because 2" to me at 40 yards isn't much but to a tournament shooter it is.

Maybe I should ask to shoot a few of the bows at a further distance and decide for myself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer had an Elite bow he was showing me and it looked good and felt great. I never shot it though I was a bit concerned about spending that much on a bow from a newer company. Just thought will they be around in a few years when my limbs break?? The economy does suck so it's a fair question.

I guess I should research it a bit before making a decision.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
just a suggestion, dont worry about the brace height, dont look at it, dont read about it,,, pick the bows up that you can and shoot them, buy the one you like the best....and you will shoot it well... a poor shoot will be a poor shot with a high brace height. a good shoot will shoot both of them well, and normally it will take a better than average shot to tell the difference,,, but since he's already better than average it probably wont bother him

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
The dealer had an Elite bow he was showing me and it looked good and felt great. I never shot it though I was a bit concerned about spending that much on a bow from a newer company. Just thought will they be around in a few years when my limbs break?? The economy does suck so it's a fair question.

I guess I should research it a bit before making a decision.

elites are great bows, well worth the money,,,

·
Portuguese Lover
185 Posts
I had an allgience for 4 years - loved it, and was afraid I'd never gonna find another bow like that. I just bought the Elite GT500. Its has 7 1/8 inch brace height with an IOB of 346. This bow is smooth as a babies behind. The Best of both worlds IMO.

PS: With the new warranty how good you go wrong.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think back in the day shorter brace height bows were a little tougher to be consistant with. but with todays designs in bows with the shorter brace height bows its really not a big deal! You would be surprised how well the short brace bows like the X Force/ Omen and Monster actually shoot.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
b.h.

i personaly look at the draw stroke and not the actual b.h# a 28"d.l.with 6.5b.h has a stroke of 21.5 i have a 29"draw with 7"b.h wich leaves me with a stroke of 22"(length of arrow on the string) take a target archer with a 8"b.h and a 30"and his stroke would be 22"as well the only thing that concerns me is ata cuz a long draw shooter with a short ata creates a lot of knock travel but at 28 inches you could shoot just about any thing out there and be accurate if you practise but,word to the wise with speed comes increased draw cycle with the pse being the easiest i have found,they don't call the monster the monster for no reason and you mathews shooters don't lie about the draw cycle i've shot it i know period!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys have made some good points thanks. I never gave much thought about the draw cycle being a factor when you take peoples input.

·
Registered
24,955 Posts
if you csn shoot your fine. with a 28 inch draw it should effect you much at all if any.

look at how many people shoor low brace bows now.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Ultimately BH affects accuracy because it is generally a measurement of how long the arrow stay on the string. A basic idea is that as long as the arrow stays on the string you can affect it. Once the arrow no longer has contact with the bow there isn't anything you can do to change the outcome. This is also a basic idea of a fall-away rest - no arrow contact as soon as possible.

Today's shorter bows often have such a short time on the string that they are actually forgiving even with small a BH. Indeed, that time on string is so small that in many cases an inch of BH is mostly irrelevant.

Now, do not take that to mean that other factors are irrelevant. The above is true if all other variables are the same and they almost never are. For the most part time on string is the most important but if other consistency issues get too sloppy that isn't necessarily that case. There are speed bows out there that have a *really* short time on string but have so many other consistency issues that they are bad accuracy wise. It can be that string angle becomes the main issue, it may be that a bow is so short that torque becomes the main issue, heck it may be that cam design is so horrid that the bow is near unshootable to a reasonable degree if accuracy.

You basically have to find where your own personal balance is in BH, speed, bow length, and draw cycle (and any other variables you look for). If you ever find a bow that is near perfect keep it. It isn't hard to find a number of people who severely regret selling a bow and end up spending WAY more than they should to get it back. None of us can truly tell you what you want as it is an inherrently personal thing.

For me I have yet to find a compound better than a Mathews Conquest III, mini max cams, 60lb limbs, and with a shrewd grip. It's just the perfect holding weight, mass weight of the bow, ATA length, and mix of BH forgiveness/speed. I have yet to find the perfect Olympic Recurve bow and have a few "prefect" traditional bows (I'm mostly a recurve shooter so I care more about that). I know of more than one person who has their perfect bow one that actually makes my shoulders hurt after even a few shots due to the mass weight so, again, it is a purely personal choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts