Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
PSE Stinger Max
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I was thrilled to see new targets at the range in the park. They're huge also so my kid won't miss.

It seemed great until I shot a five arrow volley into one of the big boys. From the looks of things I might have taken only the 20th shot or so at it!

Well I shot pretty good at five points but to my dismay, three of my five arrows were just in there and not coming out! I went back to the car and got a pair of vice grips. I put my 3d printed puller over an arrow and clamped it in the vice grips tighter and tighter until I could spin the arrow and out it and its buddies came. Amazingly the puller was not damaged either. Go TPU.

I "permanently solved" the problem by backing up and taking shots on center at a slightly more used target there from 40 and 50 yards the rest of the morning.

Any more ridiculous ways of getting an arrow out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My daughter was shooting her olympic recurve at a brand new carpet style target at the local outdoor range. One of her a.c.e.’s was stuck beyond belief. I left her there so nobody would shoot at the bail with her arrow stuck in it. I went home and got my cordless drill and drilled holes all around her arrow to get it out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I shot mostly through a bag target with only my fletching stuck in the bag. After 10 minutes of trying to pull them out the back I had to eventually cut the bag. I ruined the fletchings on 3 brand new arrows.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,112 Posts
Raccoon dog must be one of the toughest critter to get arrows out.
Need to get on my back take both hands in my arrow puller and feet against target to get them out...

Another very tough is that Owl.
Same technique as with Racoon dog...

I think they must put an sign there what says "Add plenty of lube in your arrow before shooting" 😂

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just buy the arrow puller tool called third hand, works awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That will not work on everything. This is a lot better:

Then the best of the best is:

Actually, the most injurious part of archery is the arrow pulling.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,112 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
New targets are beasts! I put some dabs of scent free lube on a paper towel and wipe shafts to give a light coating. Then I use an arrow puller. I repeat as needed. One coat of lube usually does it for a session. For some targets, it takes a lot of shots to break them in.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Had to call a buddy with a diesel truck to get some arrows out of my super duper yellow jacket bag target. That target is the absolute worst. The Cummins engine was put to the test but eventually freed my three captive black eagles. What an experience.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Bullldozer and winch.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
You gotta use lube on most foam targets in the winter but some are still tough. My buddy started a range and bought several R&W targets to start out with. One particular large deer was a beast to get arrow out of. He finally gave it to me in frustration. I decided to cut out the center section and replace it with a repair. After cutting it out I told him I had enough chunks on aluminum and steel that it reminded me of the oil pan out of my old Vega. Probably 30 or so inserts

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I have had to lay the target down and and cut the arrow out with a knife. I cannot remember the mfg. of the target, I bought it for my basement. I had to get rid of it immediately.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Shoot fmj or Victory arrows. Problem solved.

I've got a scar on my thigh that resembles an Easton X nock. When hard to pull arrows finally come out, don't be standing directly behind it.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have 2 arrows stuck in my brand new rhinoblock right now. I'm waiting for reinforcements to help out. These are great targets once broken in but sheesh, this is rediculous.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
Last year accidentally shot a few field points into a broadhead target... I tried pullers, I tried everything. What finally worked was injecting lube around them, letting that soak, wrapping arrows with paracord, duct taped on securely and positioned so that the bending on the arrow wasn’t too bad, and far enough back on the arrow that it wasn’t a spear once extracted. Grab the paracords two ends with gloves and do a squat with my legs, pushing away from the target.

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Got to laugh at some of these pullers. $135 to haul a hunk of metal that you might need to use. In 30 years of using the Third Hand Arrow puller, I can only remember a few times needing help from someone with another Third Hand Arrow Puller to remove arrows from wood. At $12 ea or 2 for $20 they are a great deal. They are light, compact to getting into tight groups and will pull any size arrow. ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts