Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 41 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Shoot fmj or Victory arrows. Problem solved.

I've got a scar on my thigh that resembles an Easton X nock. When hard to pull arrows finally come out, don't be standing directly behind it.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
I had to leave a Victory arrow in a target... maybe I got the wrong ones. Is there something on Victory that makes them easier to remove?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
On wood: I've probably used a cordless drill a couple of times but I find the better way is to drive a chisel into the wood, parallel with the grain. One on each side of the arrow. One thing I learned early on with carbon arrows is not to wiggle them back and forth to loosen it up. They tend to break, up by the tip.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah, they call it their Nano Ice Coating. Far as I know it's on all of their shafts. I know for sure it is on their RIP TKO Elites.

If you use their half outs there is a small "lip" that can catch on targets, especially bag targets.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Got to laugh at some of these pullers. $135 to haul a hunk of metal that you might need to use. In 30 years of using the Third Hand Arrow puller, I can only remember a few times needing help from someone with another Third Hand Arrow Puller to remove arrows from wood. At $12 ea or 2 for $20 they are a great deal. They are light, compact to getting into tight groups and will pull any size arrow. ;)

This is a great point. It's often about form and technique used to remove the arrow.

My worse day was a very cold morning. They had just put new core on the animal targets. Couldn't wait to shoot them. It was about 10 degrees f so I had the whole 3d range to myself.

First shots were right on target now all I had to do was go retrieve my arrows. Was so happy with the placement combined with a beautiful quiet morning that I just knew this would be a good day.

That was until I went remove an arrow. It didn't budge. Grabbed a different one, also wouldn't move. They had literally fused themselves inside the target. I had an Easton arrow puller but that failed. Ran back to the car to get the third hand one that I never tried. I was able to get closer with it. Each arrow was removed. I was exhausted. The entire pull was hard on every arrow. All the arrows had gobs of green foam fused over the shafts. Morning was still nice, quiet and beautiful. My archery day was over but I still had fun and felt lucky to get those arrows back.

I've not shot at those targets in the cold again. On my personal ones the gold large field tips and board heads work great on them. The golds get stuck in the normal targets but seem to work great for the 3d ones.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can honestly say the combination of 1) applying some Woody’s Arrow Lube to the front 6”, and 2) turning the arrow ~90 degrees clockwise before pulling back/out of the target, I have never struggled to remove an arrow. A basic arrow puller makes it even easier. Feel like most people don’t twist first to break that seal so to speak...

Reactions: MarkVIIIMarc

·
Registered
Mathews VXR 31.5, Black Gold Pro, Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro, 12/7 Shrewd Raids, Shrewd Atlas
57 Posts
I bought a cheap Walmart target back in 2018 when I first started shouting a bow. I’m planning to upgrade soon because my arrows are finally starting to blow through it after thousands of shots. I’ve had plenty of fun experiences with pulling arrows out of it, though. I’ve had to flip it arrow side up, stand on it (I weigh about 185) and pull with both hands to get arrows out before. I once almost lost a broad head inside it due to trying to pull the arrow out.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Double D Magnum Grip Arrow Puller as mentioned above. Best puller made IMHO. Will even pull them out of trees.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Had to call a buddy with a diesel truck to get some arrows out of my super duper yellow jacket bag target. That target is the absolute worst. The Cummins engine was put to the test but eventually freed my three captive black eagles. What an experience.
🤣🤣

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
Get a double D puller, by far the best out there.

Reactions: 308ruger

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
Third hand is a great puller, BUT some times the Double D puller will out due it especially if you have arteriosus in your hands & can not put enough pressure on it to pull them out, that is when the Double D will save your ass. It is real help full when shooting X10 pro Tours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I often wonder if my draw shoulder is sore from drawing the bow or pulling the arrows. I’m thinking the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The last time I ever shot a Deerman T.H.E., I made a perfect 15 heart shot on a ~30yd quartering to boar with my hunting setup. Must have gone through the front leg tube. 3 men and 2 DD arrow pullers could not remove the arrow, so the range master just snaps it off and tosses it in the trash before the start of the second round.

·
Registered
PSE Stinger Max
868 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually, the most injurious part of archery is the arrow pulling.
I've got a scar on my thigh that resembles an Easton X nock. When hard to pull arrows finally come out, don't be standing directly behind it
I hear that! Scar on my knee. Came inside with a cut on my knee. Wife asked me if I shot myself. I said no, got bit by the dull end. Eye rolling and head shaking ensued.

·
Registered
648 Posts
To avoid getting your arrow stuck in the target, get those field tips with diameters that are not thicker than that of the arrow shaft.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,511 Posts
I would say the old cedar bales when it was cold, and those arrows were aluminum.

21 - 41 of 59 Posts