Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for my first diesel truck and I'm hearing rumors of diesel fuel requirments changing between 06 and prior and 07+ year models?

I know I've seen sickers at the current diesel pumps that state that the fuel isn't for use in 07 trucks. Supposedly they are going to change the fuel over to the new stuff beginning in 07. If the new trucks won't run on the new old stuff will the old trucks run on the new stuff?

Am I better off buying an 06 model truck or should I wait until the 07s come out. I've been told to buy an 06 because it will run on both fuel types but I'm not so sure. I've also heard that the old trucks will have to have an additive put into the fuel so that it will run on the new stuff?

If this is a tired subject I apologize; just point me in the direction of the threads. Thanks for some clarification!

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,713 Posts
i know diesel fuel hurts more than anything when you spray it in your eyes

·
Cummins Power
2,405 Posts
It's called Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel and will replace...actually, most stations are probably already carrying it... Low Sulpher Diesel. If you hadn't figured it out by now, it's an EPA thing. Essentially, they lowered the allowed sulpher content from 500ppm(parts per million) to 15ppm. The idea is that the ULSD will help reduce NOx and particulate emissions. The new fuel is supposed to be backwards compatible but that's what they said when they introduced LSD. Lubricity will probably become an issue as the process used to remove sulfur from diesel also "removes" lubricity. They are using additives at the refinery to boost the lubricity to meet ASTM specs. If you buy an "older" vehicle, I'd use an additive. They acknowledge that there could be some fuel leaks on older vehicles...

https://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml#A1

Other things you will see in the near future on the engines/trucks will be added emissions equipment. The new Cummins will have a bump in displacement from the current 5.9L platform to a 6.7L platform and will come with EGR, a Holset VGT and a self-cleaning particulate filter. The 6.7L will start off in the newly introduced tru Chassis Cab and make it's way into the "regular" trucks starting early in 2007. What that means is that you can order a 2007 Dodge Ram with the tried and true 5.9L until about November...

I think the Duramax already has a particulate filter, EGR and they've always had the VGT.

The new Powerstroke will also receive a bump in displacement from 6.0L to 6.4L and is said to have twin turbos, common rail injection and a particulate filter. I haven't actually seen an official release for this engine but it is rumored to be set for an early 2007 release in what Ford will call the 2008 Superduty...

·
Registered
177 Posts
exactly what kscumminsdriver said. if i was shopping, i'd be buying an '06. i'm glad i have an '00, easy to turn up, good on fuel, and 6 in a row, doesn't get any better.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kscumminsdriver said:
It's called Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel and will replace...actually, most stations are probably already carrying it... Low Sulpher Diesel. If you hadn't figured it out by now, it's an EPA thing. Essentially, they lowered the allowed sulpher content from 500ppm(parts per million) to 15ppm. The idea is that the ULSD will help reduce NOx and particulate emissions. The new fuel is supposed to be backwards compatible but that's what they said when they introduced LSD. Lubricity will probably become an issue as the process used to remove sulfur from diesel also "removes" lubricity. They are using additives at the refinery to boost the lubricity to meet ASTM specs. If you buy an "older" vehicle, I'd use an additive. They acknowledge that there could be some fuel leaks on older vehicles...

https://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml#A1

Other things you will see in the near future on the engines/trucks will be added emissions equipment. The new Cummins will have a bump in displacement from the current 5.9L platform to a 6.7L platform and will come with EGR, a Holset VGT and a self-cleaning particulate filter. The 6.7L will start off in the newly introduced tru Chassis Cab and make it's way into the "regular" trucks starting early in 2007. What that means is that you can order a 2007 Dodge Ram with the tried and true 5.9L until about November...

I think the Duramax already has a particulate filter, EGR and they've always had the VGT.

The new Powerstroke will also receive a bump in displacement from 6.0L to 6.4L and is said to have twin turbos, common rail injection and a particulate filter. I haven't actually seen an official release for this engine but it is rumored to be set for an early 2007 release in what Ford will call the 2008 Superduty...

Great Post! Thanks for the info.
I was looking at Ford and Dodge and I'm about 98% sure I want the extra room in the Mega.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drove an 06, Mega, Cummins, 4X4 off the lot today. This is my first diesel truck. Anyone have any advice for a diesel newbe? Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
"bombing" can become very addicting. once you turn it up a little, then you want more....and more.....and more. have fun.

·
Cummins Power
2,405 Posts
Misfire said:
Drove an 06, Mega, Cummins, 4X4 off the lot today. This is my first diesel truck. Anyone have any advice for a diesel newbe? Thanks!
Congrats on the new truck...

What advice are you looking for... General info/knowledge?? Maintenance topics?? Mods aka. BOMBing??

some sites you might want to check out

turbodieselregister... it's a pay site
dieseltruckresource... it's a free site

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very nice new truck.
I've got a 2004 Dodge 3500 Dually Crew Cab and I love it. I liked the size of the Dodge Mega Cab but I had to have a long bed. I drove all of the diesels the big three had out and liked the look, ride, and proformance of the Dodge the best. I think you'll be very pleased with your choice.

As far as the fuel question I've been told in the 2006 and older engines it will not run any different on the new diesel, but I have herd rumor that we will be paying more than we used to for diesel. Not going to give up my diesel over a few dollars a tank. One piece of advice that I feel is a must, buy your fuel a places that sell alot of diesel.

Are you planning on doing a good bit of towing?

Congrats on your new truck!!

:flame: :flame:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok guys, sorry for the long delay so here are some questions...

Why do a lot of folks leave their diesels running all the time? I see trucks running in restaurant parking lots all the time while their owners are eating. Is there any benefit with today's modern engines?

What are some basic mods to get better fuel economy? (Cold air, chip, exhaust, etc...) I'm not looking to spend big bucks but something relatively inexpensive that I will see the best fuel gains from.

What fuel economy are some of you Cummins owners getting?

My first service interval is coming up soon and I think I'm going to take it to the dealership for the first one so they can fix some interior warranty items while it is in. After that, I'll probably do my own oil, air, etc..basic maintence myself. How often and what type of oil/filters are best? I know that is probably a loaded question but what is working for Ya'll?

The transmission shifts a bit harder than I'm used to, especially in lower gears. Is this normal? I'm assuming it is do to it being a heavy duty... but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the links and advice!

As far as towing, I have a 23' travel trailer that I pull occasionally and a 18' heavy duty tandem I pull for work quite a bit. I flat wore my 1/2 ton out over the past 6 years and after putting over 200,000 miles on her it was time for an upgrade. I do a lot of driving and the extra room of the mega will be a blessing.

Here's a pic..

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
You're gonna love your Cummins, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get one. I've got a 97 dually that's cranked up a bit, I'll never go back to gas for towing.

·
Cummins Power
2,405 Posts
Misfire said:
Why do a lot of folks leave their diesels running all the time? I see trucks running in restaurant parking lots all the time while their owners are eating. Is there any benefit with today's modern engines?
Do you mean regular pick-up trucks or actual OTR trucks?? I would never leave my truck idling in a parking lot... the engine operating temps would simply fall off the map. Short idling time(<5 minutes) isn't an issue and is probably necessary when towing heavy(you need to bring your EGT's down to help save that turbo) but letting it sit for 45 minutes while you woof down some bacon and eggs probably isn't doing the engine any good. You can get into issues with carbon buildup and cylinder wash down from the uncombusted diesel if you idle these trucks too long at the normal idle speed... You can get the high-idle feature turned on at Dodge dealer, it should be free of charge, where you use the cruise control to set the idle speed.

Misfire said:
What are some basic mods to get better fuel economy? (Cold air, chip, exhaust, etc...) I'm not looking to spend big bucks but something relatively inexpensive that I will see the best fuel gains from.
I really doubt you're going to see impressive gains by doing an intake or an exhaust although I do recommend them if you're going to start bumping up the power. I know someone will chime in with their first hand report of getting X amount better mileage by tossing in a K&N filter or a turbo-back exhaust. There are some promising electronics out there that may increase your mileage.... I'm not up to speed on all the products available for 3rd Gens though. One thing you have to remember is that your truck should get better mileage, up to a point, once the engine gets broken in.

Misfire said:
What fuel economy are some of you Cummins owners getting?
I regularly pull tanks at 20 mpg on the freeway doing 70mph... City driving it drops into the 16.5 range but my truck is far from stock and has a serious smoking problem...

Misfire said:
My first service interval is coming up soon and I think I'm going to take it to the dealership for the first one so they can fix some interior warranty items while it is in. After that, I'll probably do my own oil, air, etc..basic maintence myself. How often and what type of oil/filters are best? I know that is probably a loaded question but what is working for Ya'll?
Take some vaseline with you.... dealer service is expensive.

Filters: I only use Fleetguard filters... why use anything else?? Fleetguard, now called Cummins Filtration, is where it's at.

Intervals: I change my fuel filter every 30,000 miles or so... before someone gasps outloud, I have a FASS fuel system with a 30,000 mile filter. You'd have to check your owners manaul for the factory recommendations. I change my oil and oil filter every 6-8,000 miles, depends on how hard I've driven it and where I've been, and use Mobil Delvac 1300. I used to use Rotella T, never had a problem with it. I think 3rd Gens have a longer oil change interval though.

Misfire said:
The transmission shifts a bit harder than I'm used to, especially in lower gears. Is this normal? I'm assuming it is do to it being a heavy duty... but I'm not sure.
I'm guessing it's an auto?? I'm not real versed on the auto's as I prefer to row through the gears...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Misfire said:
Yea, in minus 0 degrees put a fuel additive in the tank so the fuel wont gel up, change the oil in that big transmission with the right trans. oil every 25,000 - 30.000 miles, make sure it has the correct coolant in it, a diesel needs a coolant supplament additive to prevent cavitation to the inside of the engine (liners, water pump,ect.) I swear by Shell Rotella-T 15/40 oil and good filters and then drive it 500,000 miles good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something to think about.....

I've worked in the automotive industry for over 10 years, and I'm well informed, so I'm not just shooting my mouth off.

ALL diesel vehicles not designed to run on ULSD must use an additive to run properly.

Period.

Chrysler, being the stand up company that they are, will sell you a vehicle, and once the deal is done will give you your keys, and the old........."By the way, you have to uss an additive to make your vehicle run properly with ULSD." speech.

It's happened several times in my neck of the woods.

So guys, stock up on your Power Service Diesel additive before you run right out and buy a left over 06 Diesel pickup.
They are cheap for a reason.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
Even though it is a pay site, the http://turbodieselregister.com is an excellent value for Dodge Cummins owners. They run the gamut from stock to full out sled pullers to drag racers to towing, hauling and RV. It is a web forum and quarterly digest (print). You can check it out to some degree without registering, but I think you guys will like it well enough to join.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
A quick run through the various diesel truck websites will find that numerous states have already switched to UltraLowSulferDiesel. In fact, it's been long enough now that there are quite a few guys out there with up to 40,000 miles on their trucks burning ULSD and NO ADDITIVE....it works fine in pre-'07 trucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts