Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading Bowhunting review of the new Elite Judge and I have to ask, what gives??? This is the second review I have read of the judge where it appears to have fallen far short of its advertised speed. In fact, from the reviews I have read it is no faster than the GT500. Now I haven't shot a judge but I have shot the GT500 and it is a nice ride. Can someone from the Elite camp shed some light on this???????

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Seldom will any bow come perfectly tuned right out of the box. When not in tune, they will struggle to make speed. When in tune, the Judge will meet or exceed it's rating.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd buy that if it were not for the fact that the Judge seems to be repeating itself. Was it OL where it hit 328 in an IBO test and now with Bowhunting testing at 65pounds with 375gr and 425gr arrows to simulate real world conditions the Judge hit 303fps with the 375 and 286fps with the 425. Last years GT500 did 304fps with the 375 and 286fps with the 425. Judge with a 6" BH and an IBO of 343-347fps. GT500 with a 7-1/8" BH and an IBO of 332-336fps.

So your saying the GT500 was tuned and the Judge was not...in both cases??????

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Stranger things have happened...

This I know for a fact... My Judge not only meets it's expected speed, it exceeds it, with a loaded string.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
I'd buy that if it were not for the fact that the Judge seems to be repeating itself. Was it OL where it hit 328 in an IBO test and now with Bowhunting testing at 65pounds with 375gr and 425gr arrows to simulate real world conditions the Judge hit 303fps with the 375 and 286fps with the 425. Last years GT500 did 304fps with the 375 and 286fps with the 425. Judge with a 6" BH and an IBO of 343-347fps. GT500 with a 7-1/8" BH and an IBO of 332-336fps.

the rev cams have a sweet spot... It does take some time to find it. Last years gt500 did have an ibo of 338-346.. This year they lowered it with the intorduction of the modular rev cams

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the rev cams have a sweet spot... It does take some time to find it. Last years gt500 did have an ibo of 338-346.. This year they lowered it with the intorduction of the modular rev cams
I do know that they lowered the IBO on the GT500 but did not know why. After rechecking the test, Bowhunting states the bow tested has the Revolution cams. Still not convinced about the judge, but I am glad that you enjoy yours! I am seriously considering the GT500, it is just sweet. You may be correct about finicky tuning on the Judge. If so, its not the bow for me.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I do know that they lowered the IBO on the GT500 but did not know why. After rechecking the test, Bowhunting states the bow tested has the Revolution cams. Still not convinced about the judge, but I am glad that you enjoy yours! I am seriously considering the GT500, it is just sweet. You may be correct about finicky tuning on the Judge. If so, its not the bow for me.
Yeah i decided the Gt500 was a better deal for me. It's only a few feet slower and you get an inch more on the brace height. I'll take that extra inch when i'm out ih the cold weather.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I had a hard time choosing between the Judge and the GT500, myself. In the end I chose the Judge because the shorter brace height doesn't affect me as much with my shorter draw length. If I drew 28" or more, I would have probably went the other way.

·
Registered
24,973 Posts
I have both in stock and on average I would say the Judges that I tune up end up 7 to 10 fps faster than the GT 500's. Most speeds are inflated to some degree I do fined the 2010 Elites very close in IBO speeds. I have a Stother Infinity in stock as well and they claim IBO the same as the Judge and it's chrono readings are 310 fps thats at 70 lbs 29" draw 380 grain arrow. This is the same reading I am getting on my 09 GT 500 in the same set up. So to me speed is very subjective. Its all about shot placement and how well the bow fits you as a individual. For the Judge it is a shooter with a 6" brace fairly consistent 6" groups at 80 yards it has impressed me in the shoot-ability category.

·
Archer
8,649 Posts

I haven't shot the Judge, but the GT500 and Z28 are both sweet bows. Having said that though...the new owner of Elite posted on the Elite forum that the IBO speeds for the GT500 were lowered because they had been overinflated previously. Here are a couple of posts from the owner of Elite on the Elite forum last fall about the advertised speeds:

We will post the revised speeds tomorrow. The numbers are based on our two chronographs, different manufactures. They are always within 1 fps of eachother. We are not playing any tricks. We shoot the bows with a loop on them. The GT is getting adjusted some, the Z and XLR were pretty accurate, in fact the XLR was generally faster than advertised.
Apples to apples, same draw length and weight, same two chronos, the Judge is easily 11-14 fps faster. I am looking forward to a year of people being very excited that their bow does advertised speeds or faster.

·
Registered
641 Posts
For what its worth. When I was shopping for a new bow for my antelope hunt this yr, I wanted speed. We (pro shop guy) and I tested several of the popular speed bows from Mathews, Hoyt and Elite. I bought the Judge. It did very well on the chrono with my arrows. We were getting 302 fps 60lbs @ 29" 365 gr ACC. loop installed no peep. I liked the simple design, compared to some of the bulkier looking bows. Its not as smooth drawing as the Dren LD that its replaced, but I have no issues whatsoever shooting the low brace ht bow. I can keep good groups out to the 50 yds I've shot at.
I'll be hunting in 80 degree weather so heavy clothing will not factor in either.
This is my first Elite bow. I can't say its a better bow than other Elite models. I can't say its the best bow out there. I will say the more I shoot it, the more pleased I am with it.
Also, testing a bow is a very subjective matter. I was shooting that Dren LD today after reading bowsites H to H bow test. And reading some of the comments from the tester. Yeah I'll hand it to Mathews, they build a pretty darn good bow. Noise factor being one. But I dont get the significant kick vibration comment he made. Noise, yeah its not the quietest without any string silencers. Kick? Vibration? Sorry, I don't see it.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
For what its worth, ive noticed elite bows DO have some noticeable jump/buzz upon the shot without a stabilizer, its greatly reduced with any decent stabilizer.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
i dont own a judge, i shoot a gt 500(which still has a sweet spot,with any time behind a press and draw board with a chrono, youll have your bow tuned to perfection within an hour or two).
they didnt change the cams, they still call the rev cams, they just use mods now for the 2010 models, where in the past they used a one piece non-modular cam.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
My Judge at 29/70 is hitting 302-303 with a 428gr arrow loaded string. That IBO's right around 334fps. Plenty fast for me.

TEXAS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts