Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a new drop away rest that recuires the use of the cable slide(NAP Quicktune 2000). The rest is made for cable guard bars above the bow shelf but it works fine for mines were the bar is located down behind were the stabilizer goes. The problem is that the cable slide that is used with the drop away rest causes my cables to wear out fairly fast. After a few pulls on my bow the cables become white and dry rather than black and waxed i can always wax the cables but I dont know if the cable slide is bad or not i only move the cable guard bar over to pull the cables to allow enough space for the vanes to pass. What should i do? Its not because its made for cable guards above the bow shelf.

Im thinkin about buying these 2 weel like things that go on the cable guard and they push the cables over rather than pull and the cables will roll on them making less friction and wear and tear and modifying my drop away that uses the cable slide and changing to use the the cable to raise it up like regular drop aways.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have purchased a new drop away rest that recuires the use of the cable slide(NAP Quicktune 2000). The rest is made for cable guard bars above the bow shelf but it works fine for mines were the bar is located down behind were the stabilizer goes. The problem is that the cable slide that is used with the drop away rest causes my cables to wear out fairly fast. After a few pulls on my bow the cables become white and dry rather than black and waxed i can always wax the cables but I dont know if the cable slide is bad or not i only move the cable guard bar over to pull the cables to allow enough space for the vanes to pass. What should i do? Its not because its made for cable guards above the bow shelf.

Im thinkin about buying these 2 weel like things that go on the cable guard and they push the cables over rather than pull and the cables will roll on them making less friction and wear and tear and modifying my drop away that uses the cable slide and changing to use the the cable to raise it up like regular drop aways.
cmon nobody? nobody knows why this is happening?
well could it possibly i just have crappy cables? this also kinda happened when i had the old cable slide on and yes my bow is used baught it from a guy it shoots good enough for hunting and getting started

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You got the wrong rest. Read the info on the NAP website!
its not the rest that is the problem it works just as good but its the cable slide thats stripping the wax off the cables. either that or my cables are just bad since the old cable slide did the same thing just not as bad but enough to be noticed. the cable slide that came with the rest is just like every other cable slide that all nothing special.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I have an older Hoyt with the cable guard below the grip, using a drop away rest. I tied the rest to the up cable.
My advise, not knowing exactly what your using for a cam system, if you can do it without tying into that slide and get a teflon slide you'd be better off. You could tie into the up cable or up side of the string (if it's a single cam), rather than the slide.
Mine is tied in at about the height of the sight mount holes.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Cable wear

The cables need to be served where they go thru the cable slide. String and cable marterial was not meant to be resistant to wear without some kind of serving to protect them.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The cables need to be served where they go thru the cable slide. String and cable marterial was not meant to be resistant to wear without some kind of serving to protect them.
What? your cables are not served where they pass through a cable slide..

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
my cables are not served at the slide !
don't know anyone whose are
try the saunders hyperslide and serve the rest string into the up cable

·
Registered
864 Posts
Your slide might have a mold line on the inside of it. You can get a small smooth round file and knock the mold line off of it and it should be good.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Uhhh ,wrong , the only cables that I have seen served like that are the Mathews with the roller guard cables.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
I have the NAP QT 2000 rest on my Hoyt, operated by the cable guard and it works perfectly.
Like someone else said, check the inside of the block for any rough areas, also, slightly round and polish the edges of the block where the cables ride.
Don't have the operating string too short, you want the rest fully up just before full draw to avoid too much tension on the block
Just me, but I hate having the operating string attached to the cables, royal pain in the butt.
I will never attach to the cables again
I have fitted Limbdrivers to my Aliens, IMO best dropaway rests ever.

Kev

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
my hoyt used to dryout the cables at the slide, swapped it out for an alpine archery teflon slide and no more problems. Could have been rough marks in the old slide but i have the alpines on all my bows and had great service from them.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
wait... your cables change colors? when you are drawing them?

its not unusual for some wax to get pulled off by the cable guard, anything on the string running through a cable guard can come off, but it sure shouldn't be changing colors

1 - 14 of 14 Posts