Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...not really a picture, but a scenario

Pulled out the hunting bow for some shooting since it had been hanging there all lonely since bow season ended. When I put it away last winter, it was set at 72 pounds, 28 inch draw, flinging a Beman camo 340 with 100 steelhead at 265.

I pulled it out, retuned it through paper, dropped my tip weight to 90 since I am trying the slammerhead this fall. Was shooting and grouping good, but the crono said 253????

It is an 03 Bowtech Patriot, draw length and poundage have not changed and it is the same crono.

Any ideas????

·
Registered
450 Posts
was it repeating 253 several times?..... could you possibly have shot in different lighting, like last time outdoors, this time indoors, or sunny/overcast?..... could the bearings have dried out(?) , maybe a drop of oil might help.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Chrono's have to have good light sources to work well. I use a cheapie, the Shooting Chrony, Archery Model and it has a set of lights with it. You may want to check your lighting source. BTW, flourescent lights aren't the best choice since they flicker, incandescent is the best choice.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the chrono that screws into the stab hole, same settings, same room. Checked it with someone elses bow. Chrono is accurate, the problem is in the bow.....

·
Occam's Razor
8,313 Posts
Same release, ie, same anchor?..............ck

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everything is the same, I am baffled....

·
Occam's Razor
8,313 Posts
String stretch might be the answer after all those months with the tension still on them................ck

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It's a good idea after ayear to put it in the press,Pull cams,limbs.
Clean everything even if it means polishing.A touch of good lubricant,and you should be fine.
When storing my bows ,I back them down to help preserve limbs.
Don't know if everyone does,but I know it will add life to the equipment.
Then close inspection of the string/cables (even measering them to specs.).........they definently stretch sitting stored at full poundage after a year.
These steps will add a lot of life to any bow that is put in storage
every year.
Hope this helps,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But if the string stretched, wouldnt the draw weight change as well???

What if the string and the cable stretched? How would that effect draw length and poundage? Would that drop speed if they both stretched?

·
Registered
599 Posts
if your string stretched it would be the same length in essence but if you are shooting a one cam bow it could cause the cam not to fully rotate which loses power. and no. the draw weight wouldnt change only the amount of letoff you were holding would.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
A longer string will result in higher poundage. changing the diameter of the serving would change the let off. At least that's been my observation. Of course, there are some companies that put a stop post on the cam before it's fully cycled to get less let off.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone else has any ideas???

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I has seen the light!!!!

I found the problem, I forgot that I had added string leeches to the string and cable. When I took those off, the bow was just as quiet but the chrono said 265.

So much for no speed loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
LMAO!!!! I hate to break this to you WK, but.......what a dummy:p ;) :confused: :p :D :D LOL J/K You knew better than to think that a Bowtech would actually have a PROBLEM!!!!!!:eek: :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts