Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't dwell on fear or "what ifs", I suspect most people here probably don't either. If I had to throw out a concern that pops into my head now and again there would be this...
Getting nailed by a venomous snake. When I'm on my hands and knees crawling through the nastiest twisted brush and swamps you can imagine, the reality hits me that a rattler could just nail me right in the face right now and I couldn't do spit to prevent it or defend myself.
That makes me pucker!

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Hearing my wife's voice coming through the woods.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Falling out of my stand.

Statistically, that's the most probable way that I'll be seriously injured, or killed, while hunting.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Mine would be heart attack. Especially if I am out on my own. We have a family history of it so it is always in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
24,957 Posts
That someone will find my spots on public land and ruin them for me.

Minus that not much to worry about here. Most threating animal here are black bear and I have only ran I to them twice in the 14 yrs I have been hunting. I'm hooked to the tree from the ground, have 4g pretty much everywhere so if I need to call for help that's no issue and if I'm nocked out my brother knows my spots and where to look.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Nothing..........

Except how much money I'd be making if I were working instead of hunting.

Why worry about things that are not likely to happen? Prepare, yes, but worry? No.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I don't think about it 99% of the time but now that you bring it up, it would have to be mauled by a bear or getting bit by a rattler, since most of the time I'm anywhere from an hr to 3 hrs away from the nearest help and am always alone.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
The only thing I worry about is when hunting with my son, is him getting in and out of the stand. He is prepared and given all the safety items I can give him. I still worry until I see him walk out of the woods or see him at the truck when I get out of the woods.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Amen brother! Though as I get older medical emergencies do occasionally cross my mind. However, if you are gonna die you might as well be hunting when you do!
Yessir.... I am at that point, too. And like you, I think being out in the woods hunting when my number comes up would be just fine with me! LOL

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
getting back to the truck and having a flat tire .. that sucks ..

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
It was the first day of season. I go out and climb up a poplar tree, beside a logging road, overlooking a white oak that is dropping acorns. I have been sitting there for about an hour and then a giant thunderstorm rolls in. I am drenched and lightning is popping all around. I decide that I am just as safe sitting in this tree as I would be walking back out. I am just sitting there waiting for the thunderstorm to pass when I hear this car horn blowing. The horn is getting closer and then I see that it is my wife driving down the logging road blowing the horn and looking for me. She finally spots me in the tree and ask are you coming home? My answer was I am now.

I couldn't win that day. I have been shocked by lightning 8 times and that day could have been the last time. 8 of my lives have been used up.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Getting bit by a copperhead or timber rattler. I know copperhead bites are very rarely fatal, but I'm terrified of snakes. I'm constantly scanning where I'm walking. Other than that, not much besides the other people on public land.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts