Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Rts

Depends on your budget. However, since I am the first I will get my favorite line of Parker's out there. You can purchase the outfitter package, this will be sighted in at 20 yds, and with a little fine tunning of the sight it will be dead on shortly. Some additional sighting in to tune the rest of the pins and you are ready to go. 400.00-----700.00 ready to shot is not bad.
I started with their Buckhunter and now have the BlackHawk. Just can't be beat for the price.
My .02.
Roy

· Registered
415 Posts
I have a friend that shoots a blackhawk and he loves it. I think it pulls a little hard but it is a light bow and shoots very well too. He shot both the blackhawk and the DXT. He bought the Blackhawk.

· Resident Philosopher
11,705 Posts
I am not a fan of the "ready to shoot" packages
this just makes you generic and no one is.
buy accesories to fit YOUR preferences not what they think you need.

· Registered
12,018 Posts
I am not a fan of the "ready to shoot" packages
this just makes you generic and no one is.
buy accesories to fit YOUR preferences not what they think you need.
Agreed. Within 2 months you'll have different accessories on it anyway.

Let a SHOP set one up the way you like it from the start.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Agreed. Within 2 months you'll have different accessories on it anyway.

Let a SHOP set one up the way you like it from the start.
I do not know about most shops... I have been to about 6, and the only one around me that I have been to that know what they are doing is Terminal Velocity. All the other ones have people who have a lug nut loose in their heads or something. If you are confident your shop will get it done right, then go for it :nod:

· Resident Philosopher
11,705 Posts
I do not know about most shops... I have been to about 6, and the only one around me that I have been to that know what they are doing is Terminal Velocity. All the other ones have people who have a lug nut loose in their heads or something. If you are confident your shop will get it done right, then go for it :nod:
You are going to the wrong places appearantly.
there are questionable shops out there but the best way I have found to choose a place is....how long have they been there?
a "bad" shop won't be around long

· Registered
352 Posts
The way I see it is that you have two choices. 1) Buy the bow you DESIRE up front, save all your money for this. Then pick up the other stuff when money allows.
2) Look for a good deal on the bow you want or one close to it in the classifieds all decked out.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the advice and kindness

I didn't make myself clear. I have an UltraElite and an Executive Vegas for spot. I am preparing for an upcoming field event and thinking that I may need a reliable and economic bow for that. 2009's BlackHawk seems a little over budget, I believe it is a great bow though. :) any others?

· Registered
2,616 Posts
You are going to the wrong places appearantly.
there are questionable shops out there but the best way I have found to choose a place is....how long have they been there?
a "bad" shop won't be around long
A bad shop will so be around long! Unless they are doing illegal things, they will remain in business as long as sales stay high! I know the closest shop to my house is ALWAYS packed filled with people that do NOT KNOW BETTER and they let the "bow smiths" that work there work on their bows. All of the shops around me have been here longer than Terminal Velocity for the most part. and Terminal Velocity KNOWS WHAT THEY are doing. There are SO MANY archers and hunters that have zero tuning experience and when they see someone who LOOKS like they know what they are doing, they will be satisfied. And then you have customers like my self where if I see them do something I do not agree with or realize they have no idea what they are doing, I just simply do not return to the shop... Simple.

Get what I am saying? Not everyone lives on AT like we do and actually, for the most part, know what we are doing... :darkbeer:

· Registered
3,415 Posts
A bad shop will so be around long! Unless they are doing illegal things, they will remain in business as long as sales stay high! I know the closest shop to my house is ALWAYS packed filled with people that do NOT KNOW BETTER and they let the "bow smiths" that work there work on their bows. All of the shops around me have been here longer than Terminal Velocity for the most part. and Terminal Velocity KNOWS WHAT THEY are doing. There are SO MANY archers and hunters that have zero tuning experience and when they see someone who LOOKS like they know what they are doing, they will be satisfied. And then you have customers like my self where if I see them do something I do not agree with or realize they have no idea what they are doing, I just simply do not return to the shop... Simple.

Get what I am saying? Not everyone lives on AT like we do and actually, for the most part, know what we are doing... :darkbeer:
I know exactly what you are saying. I've got the same problem here. The only guy that knows what he is doing is just getting started and is doing everything out of his garage. There are 2 "pro" shops in the area and Cabela's and Sportsman's.

I actually went into the "pro" shop to buy some things and I looked around for what I needed for 20 minutes listening to the guys who work there shoot the breeze about how there buddies who are "amateur" elk callers got lucky bugling in a big bull and how those "amateurs" should leave the calling to them because they are "pros" because they probably won't get lucky next time.

Finally when they asked me if I needed help I said, "No thanks but your business will if you're runnin the show," and I walked out. I lmao off at those guys who think they know their stuff. I know a lot more than they do just from picking it up on here, if I had the tools I could apply it and have a lot better business than they do. The other shop I bought my bow from and they are nice guys and do good business, they just don't know how to set up bows properly. Thank goodness for S&S Archery (he is a member here too).

· Registered
2,616 Posts
I know exactly what you are saying. I've got the same problem here. The only guy that knows what he is doing is just getting started and is doing everything out of his garage. There are 2 "pro" shops in the area and Cabela's and Sportsman's.

I actually went into the "pro" shop to buy some things and I looked around for what I needed for 20 minutes listening to the guys who work there shoot the breeze about how there buddies who are "amateur" elk callers got lucky bugling in a big bull and how those "amateurs" should leave the calling to them because they are "pros" because they probably won't get lucky next time.

Finally when they asked me if I needed help I said, "No thanks but your business will if you're runnin the show," and I walked out. I lmao off at those guys who think they know their stuff. I know a lot more than they do just from picking it up on here, if I had the tools I could apply it and have a lot better business than they do. The other shop I bought my bow from and they are nice guys and do good business, they just don't know how to set up bows properly. Thank goodness for S&S Archery (he is a member here too).

Glad you understand ;)

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Get a good shop to set it up for you. Dont buy a ready to shoot package.

Even with a good shop though the people working on your bow have their own way of doing something like serving in a peep so you should always watch them work on your bow and make sure they're not doing something wrong.

I would work on my own equiptment if I had the money to buy a press and all the goodies needed to take apart a bow but I dont cause I'm a 14 year old who's stuck in school and cant work except on week-ends. So the next best thing for me to do is to go to my pro shop and show the guy what I want done and stand next to him while he does it and tell him to stop if he does it wrong.

Do it right the first time or you'll regret it later.

· Resident Philosopher
11,705 Posts

Word of mouth will kill a shop faster than illegal activities
I had a bad ...very bad....experience at a motorcycle/atv dealer not long ago
I will guarantee you .....I tell everyone I see about it !!!
they won't be around if there are no customers.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Word of mouth will kill a shop faster than illegal activities
I had a bad ...very bad....experience at a motorcycle/atv dealer not long ago
I will guarantee you .....I tell everyone I see about it !!!
they won't be around if there are no customers.
But that's the thing... There are probably like 2% of the people that go into these shops that think they know what they are doing that will actually come out knowing that the bow smiths working there had no idea what they were doing... The other 98% (random percentage) will continue to go there because they do not know better. YES, they might lose 5, maybe 10 customers, but in a city area like I live in there are so many people piling into these mediocre shops daily so the shops will remain in business. And don't get me wrong, the customer service at these shops is pretty good. Friendly bow smiths, just they are not that knowledged on how to properly set up and tune a bow. And very, very few people actually catch that. Overall, you must have experience to know someone else does NOT. :D

· Resident Philosopher
11,705 Posts
But that's the thing... There are probably like 2% of the people that go into these shops that think they know what they are doing that will actually come out knowing that the bow smiths working there had no idea what they were doing... The other 98% (random percentage) will continue to go there because they do not know better. YES, they might lose 5, maybe 10 customers, but in a city area like I live in there are so many people piling into these mediocre shops daily so the shops will remain in business. And don't get me wrong, the customer service at these shops is pretty good. Friendly bow smiths, just they are not that knowledged on how to properly set up and tune a bow. And very, very few people actually catch that. Overall, you must have experience to know someone else does NOT. :D
Maybe ignorance is bliss.
If they are happy with what they are getting...right or wrong...they are happy and will go back.
repeat business is a shop owners future ....so they must be doing something right if people keep coming back.
and who's to say that YOU are right ??

· Registered
25,353 Posts
idk. martins bengals are pretty sweet.

the pse bowmadness package looks nice. the only thing is im sure you will get all new accessories put on it. i got a martin pack 6 years ago as soon as i got it i replaced the sight, rest, peep and a few other things.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
idk. martins bengals are pretty sweet.

the pse bowmadness package looks nice. the only thing is im sure you will get all new accessories put on it. i got a martin pack 6 years ago as soon as i got it i replaced the sight, rest, peep and a few other things.
bowmadness looks good. but it seems hard to get in touch with its sales staff. how about Diamond? any experience?

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Maybe ignorance is bliss.
If they are happy with what they are getting...right or wrong...they are happy and will go back.
repeat business is a shop owners future ....so they must be doing something right if people keep coming back.
and who's to say that YOU are right ??
Me... :doh:

;)

What I am talking about is not just bow shops... It's everywhere. Especially in the city. :nod:

· Registered
14,296 Posts
A bad shop will so be around long! Unless they are doing illegal things, they will remain in business as long as sales stay high! I know the closest shop to my house is ALWAYS packed filled with people that do NOT KNOW BETTER ....

Get what I am saying? Not everyone lives on AT like we do...
:lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.