Archery Talk Forum banner

What's your choice of the new target bows and why? Hoyt Stratos or Bowtech Reckoning Gen2?

1640 36
Hi dear Bowfriends

I am actually a Mathews Shooter and I love the bows but I wished the did something new in the target section...

With all the new released target bows I am wondering which bows you really would buy and why? For me Hoyt Stratos and Bowtech Reckoning Gen2 is very interesting and I am thinking probably to buy one. Which you would prefer and why?

Sincerely Simon
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Out of the 2 bows that you listed, I would go with the Bowtech Reckoning 39 Gen 2. I would love to see a head to head comparison between the Reckoning 39 Gen 2, the Verdict, the Reckoning 38 and for good measure the Bowtech Fanatic 3.0. That is because I am shooting the Bowtech Fanatic 3.0 on comfort setting for indoor spots.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Hi dear Bowfriends

I am actually a Mathews Shooter and I love the bows but I wished the did something new in the target section...

With all the new released target bows I am wondering which bows you really would buy and why? For me Hoyt Stratos and Bowtech Reckoning Gen2 is very interesting and I am thinking probably to buy one. Which you would prefer and why?

Sincerely Simon
Of the two, I'd do the Hoyt. The main difficulty with the Hoyt would be getting the correct cam size for my drawlength (which I've complained about elsewhere), but assuming I could actually get one in my hands before I had to buy it, it still would be my pick. Reason being, Hoyt's target risers have always been the best on the market, IMO, especially their grip, for me.

The Bowtech is an interesting design but on the Gen2, the only feature on it I'd actually use is the "time lock" system that allows you to micro-adjust your cable lengths without a press. The rest of the stuff on the limb tips is way overengineered, IMO, and would be nothing I'd ever actually use. All that machinery at the tips could become a reliability issue over the long term.

The Hoyt just has the traditional axle stuck through a pair of holes in the limbs - much simpler and totally maintenance free over the life of the bearings in the cams....

lee.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I ordered a Reckoning 36 Gen 2 a couple weeks ago. It draws, holds and shoots like a dream.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went into the shop intending to buy a verdict and walked out with the reckoning gen2

Reactions: Poe Outdoors

·
Registered
892 Posts
The Bowtech is an interesting design but on the Gen2, the only feature on it I'd actually use is the "time lock" system that allows you to micro-adjust your cable lengths without a press. The rest of the stuff on the limb tips is way overengineered, IMO, and would be nothing I'd ever actually use. All that machinery at the tips could become a reliability issue over the long term.

I’m kind of the opposite, however I do own a press and have a back yard range. I have a reckoning and really enjoyed the deadlock over shims or top hats when setting up. Adjusting arrow flight by removing cams and swapping shims is so inefficient compared to tweaking that deadlock. I can’t say I wouldn’t by a bow without it but I had my paper tear perfect in 10 mins. On my other bows swapping shims is an annoying job.

On the other hand if I need to adjust timing it only takes minutes for me to press the bow pop a cable off and add a twist. I set my cams to be symmetrical by lining up the timing dots and the bow shoots great. Use quality string and cables and you shouldn’t have to mess with it much from there forward.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I ordered the Hoyt Stratos with HBT cams. Liked the riser better. Like the grip options and not sure the cable timing system would ever be used that’s on the BT, neat feature though. Like the hard/soft back wall adjustability and the letoff adjustment on the cam.

·
Registered
Elite Basin
277 Posts
Man got to love that time lock feature. Bowtech Reckoning 39 Gen 2 would be my choice!

·
Registered
Bowtech 36 Gen 2
150 Posts
Invicta was my 1st compound, then moved to PSE supra RTX which i could shoot 100m were with the Invicta I could do a bit more than 70m in that setup and draw felt so much better, now I bought Reckoning 36 gen2 because of the tuning possibilities.

·
Registered
Gillo GT barebow, Darton Vegas E-T compound
59 Posts
I'm a sucker for innovation. That said, the Hoyt is nice with the multiple grip choices and the 1/4" draw length adjustment. On the other hand, the limit draw length range of each cam is a definite turn-off for me as it limits re-sale opportunities.

The Bowtech has many more adjustments and is much more flexible. I really like the idea of the infinitely adjustable grip angle and the wide range of let-off adjustments. The other tuning adjustments are also quite interesting to me. Finally, I like the flip disk system that offers different draw profiles that can be changed in 5 minutes without a bow press. With Hoyt you need to purchase all new cams and use a bow press to change draw profiles.

Based on all this, I ordered the Reckoning Gen2 36 with medium cams. I'm sure the Hoyt is a fine bow, but the Bowtech just sucked me in with all its features.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm a sucker for innovation. That said, the Hoyt is nice with the multiple grip choices and the 1/4" draw length adjustment. On the other hand, the limit draw length range of each cam is a definite turn-off for me as it limits re-sale opportunities.

The Bowtech has many more adjustments and is much more flexible. I really like the idea of the infinitely adjustable grip angle and the wide range of let-off adjustments. The other tuning adjustments are also quite interesting to me. Finally, I like the flip disk system that offers different draw profiles that can be changed in 5 minutes without a bow press. With Hoyt you need to purchase all new cams and use a bow press to change draw profiles.

Based on all this, I ordered the Reckoning Gen2 36 with medium cams. I'm sure the Hoyt is a fine bow, but the Bowtech just sucked me in with all its features.
My understanding, at least for the HBT is this mitigates efficiency loss for shorter draw lengths by having 2 cam sizes and a range for each. SVX probably same. Not an engineer, that’s how it was explained to me when I asked why they didn’t use a single cam with wide dl adjustment

1 - 20 of 37 Posts