Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when you are practicing and you have a good round or two and everything is hitting just right and....."Life is Grand".

then.............

You go back out a day or two later expecting to build on that previous day's best score and it isn't there...not even close....heck....you feel like you are only practicing bad shots......

What gives...????....You check your equipment...everything is tight, you talk yourself through your set up...you know...check stance...take a breath and relax...NOCK ARROW...(yeah I'm getting better about that!!)....draw to same anchorpoint....focus on target....release....but you are not getting the same consistency as before.

Now what....What do you do??....Don't say "Go Fishing"!!!!

"PREGO"...It's in There!!!....sometimes
:cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
sounds to me like you need to relax and shoot. Focus on your anchor and target then let her fly. The more you think about your set up, the less your focusing on your target. Works for me!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Wish I had the answer... I will be watching for sage advice from others also..

What I do is... go back to the basics and practice those.. and try to get the bad thoughts out of my head... just like life every new opportunity is just that an opportunity. . Each shot is a new opportunity for an x... My take is that if you worry about past events you can never move forward to new heights.

I am now trying to build strength.. with a bow form exerciser… and it seems to be helping.. I am also trying to work on the mental game and shot sequence..

By the way.. it is almost never, ever, the bow for me…

·
Registered
329 Posts
Caffeine intake

My cousin swears that he shoots alot better when he shoots without eating or drinking before the shoot, of course he is a mountain dew junkie, and that could explain the shaking, he will shoot on average high 260 through 270's with dew in the system. High 270 through high 280's without anything in the tank. It works for him, who knows?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Miss Lucky
The more you practice the luckier you will be :)

·
(aka lug nut)
48,368 Posts
GOT LUCKY said:
You know when you are practicing and you have a good round or two and everything is hitting just right and....."Life is Grand".

then.............

You go back out a day or two later expecting to build on that previous day's best score and it isn't there...not even close....heck....you feel like you are only practicing bad shots......

What gives...????....You check your equipment...everything is tight, you talk yourself through your set up...you know...check stance...take a breath and relax...NOCK ARROW...(yeah I'm getting better about that!!)....draw to same anchorpoint....focus on target....release....but you are not getting the same consistency as before.

Now what....What do you do??....Don't say "Go Fishing"!!!!

"PREGO"...It's in There!!!....sometimes
Try some blind bale work
once a week
for four weeks.

Eyes closed.
3 feet from the bale.

No target

Just go through your shot routine,
the one that you have written down.

Just one arrow in your quiver.

Eyes open to set your feet position.
Eyes open to nock your arrow.
Eyes open to set your bow hand position.

Once you have the arrow nocked,
and your release hooked onto the d-loop
or your fingers set on the string,
and your grip position set.

Now, close the eyes,
come to anchor with eyes closed,
come to full draw with eyes closed,
set your back muscles with eyes closed,
relax the arm muscles with eyes closed,
start your back tension process with eyes closed...
and focus one one thing throughout the shot routine...

focus on the feel of the grip on your bow hand on this shot...

focus on the the weight distribution on your feet on the next shot (left to right)...

focuson the weight weight distribution on your feet front to back on the next shot...

focus on where the string touches your face on the next shot...

focus on extending the bow shoulder on the next shot...

focus on where the string touches your shoulder when you extend your bow shoulder on the next shot...

focus on what it feels like to "pull down the release shoulder" on the next shot...

focus on squeezing the release side shoulder blade,
when you set your back muscles,
and pull down the release side shoulder,
and then smoothly pull your elbow tip back behind your head
when you "borrow" OBT's evolution release...

you get the idea.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
What are you thinking about during your shot? Are you focused on what you are trying to hit, what you are doing, or what is going on around you, or all of the above?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Relax!

After 24 years of Tournament Archery I have come to the conclusion that archery must be shot tension free. If you feel any tension in your body(tight muscles, straining) yor consistency will vary from day to day.

You need to practice total relaxation during your practice sessions. Head to toes, finger tip to finger tip. If you can master tension free shooting you will never have a bad day.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spot said:
Hi Miss Lucky
The more you practice the luckier you will be :)
Heyyyyyy SPOT......

I'm trying to put in more practice to build up my strength and endurance for our league's 450 round....but I don't want to continue to practice "bad shots" over and over again....which is what seems to happen sometimes.

I'm working on being "GOOD" with a little "LUCKY" every once in a while:wink:

Hope you'all are doin' well down there.....we've got a little over 6 months till VEGAS!!!!:tongue:

Keep shooting straight and tell everyone "Hi" from me....

"PREGO"...It's in There!!!...sometimes:cry:

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AT_X_HUNTER said:
What are you thinking about during your shot? Are you focused on what you are trying to hit, what you are doing, or what is going on around you, or all of the above?

Once I have drawn and anchored and do the mental second check of my set up...then I turn my focus on the X and start the squeeze of the lever on my release...
My release is not set off by back tension but by a slight squeeze of the palm....but all focus at this time is on the cross point of that X....and remembering to not drop my arm after the release until I see the arrow hit the target.

"PREGO"...It's in There!!!...sometimes

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
loujo61 said:
That's just a blonde thing!

I bet not............:wink:

O.K. to prove my point all replies must also state hair color....:sad: :sad:

"PREGO"....It's in There!!!....sometimes

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WV Has Been said:
After 24 years of Tournament Archery I have come to the conclusion that archery must be shot tension free. If you feel any tension in your body(tight muscles, straining) yor consistency will vary from day to day.

You need to practice total relaxation during your practice sessions. Head to toes, finger tip to finger tip. If you can master tension free shooting you will never have a bad day.
Hummmmmm....O.K.....I admit it...I have "drifted off to Margaritaville" in some of my practice sessions to take the "pressure off" but, then if you get too relaxed and over confident from your last perfect in....your next one isn't soooo perfect...well at least for me.....

Then I kick myself for backing off too much....guess I am still seeking that "Happy Medium"...:tongue:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
GOT LUCKY said:
Once I have drawn and anchored and do the mental second check of my set up...then I turn my focus on the X and start the squeeze of the lever on my release...
My release is not set off by back tension but by a slight squeeze of the palm....but all focus at this time is on the cross point of that X....and remembering to not drop my arm after the release until I see the arrow hit the target.

Try applying more pressure with your bow arm directing it to the target. When I shoot I use a lot of heel pressure and push to the target. I think about pushing the arrow into the target with the heel of my palm. If you have a habbit of dropping your arm then most likely you are not pushing through the shot. I am not saying that you have to use back tension or to execute your shot differently. Just try to apply slightly more pressure to the target in a consistant fasion. Don't shove it, just apply a little pressure.

Oh, and I have brown hair.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
By the way..

Really, REALLY, light blonde hair.. some would insinuate it gray or silver, (Usually those whose hair looks reminiscent of a scrub oak field.. or a rock..).. BUT! They are WRONG! It is just sort platinum………… I wish.

see it is all the mental thing!

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
WV Has Been said:

Brown hair and eyes 6'4" inches in heels. :) :) what WV has been said.

I work on tension trying to get rid of it. from the get go. that and working on getting the release smooth so as not to upset my sight when the arrow is leaving the bow.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have to agree with the total relaxation while your shooting angle.
I have been working on this for awhile.
I admit I find it difficult to remain totally relaxed while pulling through the shot.
It almost seems like an oxymoron , LOL. Relax while applying proper tesion?????
I hope WVhasbeen can help explain how to do this on a regular basis.
I know for me the relaxation part changes day to day.
Trying not to allow your self to get frustrated is a key.
I can aim and pull through the shot awesome when truelly relaxed.
Keeping everything simple as possible definately helps.
Remember that you must exicute the shot.
Sitting waiting and hoping for the release to happen will cause problems.
Take control.
You need to shoot the arrow, cant wait for it to just happen.
I fall into this trap myself sometimes. Then cant figure out what is going on.
Then it hits me, relax and take control. It like a magic fix.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Most of us have bad hair days. We have bad practice days. My advice? Don't practice on bad practice days. You will be pressing and re-inforcing that bad thinking. If you don't want to go fishing, maybe wax your bow?

Hair color: bald.:darkbeer:

Rick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts