Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mine is the bottom one. These KOA knives are sharp out of the factory but a little touch up and it will shave hairs. The blade is the best blade I've use and it holds the sharpness for a long time. It's been over a year since i've sharpen the blades and i've gutted/ quarter over 10 deers and the blades is as sharp as when I got it. These knives are a little pricy but it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Until I find something better...

Skyblade knives. Made from ATS-34, hair popping sharp from Todd Orr and I can gut, skin, and process several deer before I even think about touching up the blade.

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have any pics. but I carry a few. A Puma Companion is my main gutting/cleaning/skinning knife. I also carry a K-bar marine fighting knife w/ serrations for trimming around the blind/stand and for heavy work on bone, sternum, joints, etc. I also carry a Swiss Army multitool or folding serrated Buck knife for areas where I need serrations in tight spaces. Seems like a lot I guess, but they've each come in real handy where the others wouldn't work as well.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
A couple of knives from Jack Brandt

Here's another that I have that was made for me about 7 years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Last one...

While not a hunting knife this was the one I had made for me when I first enlisted in the Marines in 1986.

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have been using a Buck Vanguard for years and got a Vanguard Zipper a couple of years ago. Good stout blade but not too big. Holds an edge decent.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I own bucks,kabars,Uncle Henry but my favorite is a $20 Schrade Sharpfinger

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
Handmade knife a friend of mine made for me

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Buellhunter said:
Handmade knife a friend of mine made for me
Now that is one cool picture.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts

I have a KOA like the bottom one in this pic.. but mine has the bone handle. I've had it for 10yrs.. and man do they hold an edge. I use it for the reamer when field dressing and also to cut/trim all the meat. This is by far the best knife I've ever had.

For gutting and skinning I use the Buck Mini Alpha... also a very good knive.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
My hunting knife

This has to be my all time favorite. Iv'e got other hunting knives but this one used to be Grandpa's hunting knife. When I was about 13, Dad gave it to me. I barely remember Grandpa, but some of my best memories of him are while we were all at the deer lease down near Junction, TX, when I was just probably 3-7 yrs. old. He passed on when I was 9.
She may not be the prettiest one of the bunch, heck her blade lost it's shine long before she came to me, but I always seem to cary this one in the field with me. That nice carbon blade sure does take and keep an edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The Whitetail Skinner from Outdoor Edge is my favorite blade

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I'm with oldreloader and cagstorm........ Schrade sharpfinger. I think they went under and have to find a few more, I want one for my son when he's old enough. I also like the buck folding knives.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
My Dad gave me this knife when I was eleven years old. It was made by a friend of his, Dr. Tim Britton, who made custom knives for many years.

I was a special gift coming from Dad, as he wasn't big on hunting. I kept it tucked away until I was old enough to begin hunting with his approval.

It's a great little skinner.

The other knife is a storebought Browning knife that has done reasonably well, too. The gut hook makes quick work of field dressing deer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts