Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions. INDOOR I could see a combo 3D 1 day & a 300 or Vegas the next. Outdoor, Personally I would like 1st day a combo 1 arrow 20 3Ds (20 arrows) & 14 Field (56 arrows). 76 arrows for the day. 2nd day maybe a target 600 round (60 arrows) & 10 3Ds (10 arrows) to top it off (70 arrows total). A little for every archer & maybe a round they don't normally shoot.. Lets hear yours.. Thanks.
Plant Green Tree Natural environment Natural landscape
Clothing Smile Plant Leaf Natural environment
Vertebrate Plant Green Nature Natural environment
Plant Smile Shorts Plant community Hat

Attachments

·
Shootin and Cussin
26,909 Posts
The problem with this concept is space to do it.

Last year, in Colorado, they did a 3 day, 3 event shoot. Double Field round, American round and a 300 Vegas round. It was won by an 18 year old kid. As I remember they had over 100 entries.

·
Lowered expectations
19,959 Posts
You can slap any two events together, but it’ll drive people away more than it will attract.

Seems these days everyone wants to specialize. You try any combination of target, field and 3D, you’re going to lose entire equipment divisions.

That being said, I always enjoyed events that included target and field rounds. My own club used to hold a one-day event that included a target round in the morning and a field round in the afternoon. Of course, that was before 3D even existed.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
We were looking at doing something like this... We were thinking an NFAA Blue Face round Saturday and 30 target 3D on Sunday. We had 6 (besides the 3 of us who came up with the idea) people who were excited about it and almost everyone else HATED the idea!!!!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
We were looking at doing something like this... We were thinking an NFAA Blue Face round Saturday and 30 target 3D on Sunday. We had 6 (besides the 3 of us who came up with the idea) people who were excited about it and almost everyone else HATED the idea!!!!
The ones that hated the idea: did they all shoot the same type of matches normally?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
1st day: a 600 round in the morning and a 30 shot Vegas 3 spot in the afternoon.
2nd day: 14 target combo with a field face and a 3d animal together. You shoot 2 shots at the field target and one shot at the 3d animal for each lane.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
The ones that hated the idea: did they all shoot the same type of matches normally?
Guys who are 3D shooters hated the idea of the spot round.

Spot shooters hated the idea of the 3D round.

A few guys who only do Field, weren't really interested at all and annoyed that we didn't include a Field Portion.

The few of us who were enthusiastic about the idea are guys who just wanna shoot!!!!

Reactions: ahunter55

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Guys who are 3D shooters hated the idea of the spot round.

Spot shooters hated the idea of the 3D round.

A few guys who only do Field, weren't really interested at all and annoyed that we didn't include a Field Portion.

The few of us who were enthusiastic about the idea are guys who just wanna shoot!!!!
That sounds about normal for the different groups of shooters.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
For indoor, instead of doing a 3D (because of targets and space) I'd suggest a Flint round (more or less an indoor Field round) and then either a 5-spot or Vegas round.

"3D Guys" typically don't want to shoot anything that isn't 3D.

I've haven't shot any Field in a few years, and that is a shame too, as I used to really enjoy shooting field.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,470 Posts
I used to shoot a tournament that included a 600 round (shorter version of American 900 round), 14 NFAA field targets and a 3D course.

That was a fun tournament that really challenged folks to leave their comfort zone.

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For indoor, instead of doing a 3D (because of targets and space) I'd suggest a Flint round (more or less an indoor Field round) and then either a 5-spot or Vegas round.

"3D Guys" typically don't want to shoot anything that isn't 3D.

I've haven't shot any Field in a few years, and that is a shame too, as I used to really enjoy shooting field.
WOW, the FLINT ROUND. Many have no idea what that one is. When a kid, our club shot that all winter for league. (50s)

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the insight on what you thought of & or tried. I'm just trying to see what a "good" draw shooter wise might be. I realize "size" of a facility for indoor could make the difference. I would just like to try something that brings in a large number of shooters & something all might be interested in.. So many archers/bowhunters but not so many attending events. I mean thousands of bowhunters & a state assn only has a small % of members. Hopefully, I can pull something off b/4 I croak. I started a facebook page, Iowa archery/bowhunter tournaments that is free to join, no selling & no chat that has grown to well over a 1000 archers looking for events. I do bordering states of Ill., Wisconsin, IN also plus all National assns I get shoot information on. ASA, IBO, NFAA, FITA, Deer expos & more. Members are allowed to post archery events also.. It takes a bit of time but I keep it updated weekly & is becoming a place to look for events.. Anyway, keep those suggestions coming. Thanks..

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem with this concept is space to do it.

Last year, in Colorado, they did a 3 day, 3 event shoot. Double Field round, American round and a 300 Vegas round. It was won by an 18 year old kid. As I remember they had over 100 entries.
Do you remember the cost to shoot the 3 days? Did they do a daily awards if shooter shot less than the 3 events & a 3 day combo awards too.? Thanks.

·
Shootin and Cussin
26,909 Posts
Do you remember the cost to shoot the 3 days? Did they do a daily awards if shooter shot less than the 3 events & a 3 day combo awards too.? Thanks.
As I remember there were no daily awards. Everything paid for overall scores.

Reactions: ahunter55

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
WOW, the FLINT ROUND. Many have no idea what that one is. When a kid, our club shot that all winter for league. (50s)
We still shoot a Flint Round in Ohio each year as part of the Ohio Archers Association(Ohio's NFAA club). It is a mail in tournament. It is modified as I understand it since a full Flint round is out to 30 yards IIRC, and ours only goes out to 20. Not many shops have more than 20 yard ranges.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
While I personally like multi discipline events, this concept certainly falls in the category of novelty / family event. That being said I like 20 3D and 14 Field targets on day 1, and a 900 or 600 round on day 2.

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We still shoot a Flint Round in Ohio each year as part of the Ohio Archers Association(Ohio's NFAA club). It is a mail in tournament. It is modified as I understand it since a full Flint round is out to 30 yards IIRC, and ours only goes out to 20. Not many shops have more than 20 yard ranges.
Back in the mid 50s our club shot the Flint round all winter. We also entered the NFAA Mail in tournaments according to division. In those days teens competed with adults.(I was 14 n 15 in those times) I placed 6th in one of 4000 entries & 1st in 2000 entries another time. I still have those medals stowed away someplace with my other Illinois state awards & NFAA 1970s sectional win. I may have to consider the Flint for indoor. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts