Archery Talk Forum banner

What's your philosophy???

2415 Views 46 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  AERO63
You make a perfect shot on an animal and say it runs a short distance and stops still in bowrange. Are you putting another arrow in it???

I know my philosophy is "shoot 'em 'til their dead", but was curious if I was in the majority or minority....it's a no-brainer on a marginal hit of course.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
1,099 Posts
If I know it's a perfect shot and I can see it bleeding, I will not put on another shot. Seems unnecessary and broadheads aren't cheap.

The more I think about it though, if it were a big buck or something I'd probably want to put a little insurance on it.

Good question.

· Registered
3,609 Posts
You make a perfect shot on an animal and say it runs a short distance and stops still in bowrange. Are you putting another arrow in it???

I know my philosophy is "shoot 'em 'til their dead", but was curious if I was in the majority or minority....it's a no-brainer on a marginal hit of course.
If you know for a fact you made a good hit, wait and let him fall over. No sense making him run away with another shot. If your not shure, plug him again.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Size of the buck shouldn't even come in to play in my opinion. The object is to put the animal in the dirt so if I have a chance to put another one in it to help simplify the situation I'll do it.
You know how it is after you hit a big deer... U sit and think, "was it really that good of shot? He was runnin pretty fast... what if I... maybe it wasn't..." and the deer was dead before you even started thinking.

If that deer was still in range, if it was a doe, I think I would question myself less. If it were a big buck... I may not have as much faith in my mad skills.

· Registered
8,583 Posts
What could be so wrong about a second shot into the animal ? weather it be a big buck or small doe. Its not about the price we pay for the arrow or broadhead is it really ? If for some reason that a second shot is needed get your bearings straight and put another one in the animal.

Crazy Wolf.

· Registered
115 Posts
nock another arrow

I will always shoot again, because if the animal was to be lost and I knew I could have shot again, I would beat myself up forever.

· Registered
985 Posts
Whats your Philosophy

Well a couple years back I shot a doe though both front shoulders with a 4 blade mangus buzz cut.Just my feathers sticking out looked like perfect shot she snapped my arrow rolling around.She dropped blatting rolled around for awhile then finally got up.She could only take a couple small steps and then stand for a while.She laid down by my stand for about 30 minutes.This was a broad side shot thru back part of center shoulder.I couldn't believe she was still alive, to this day can't believe she was alive.It took her 20 minutes to go 15 steps so I could get another arrow in her.This time a quartering away shot coming out through her heart.If there on there feet and you can get another arrow through them you owe it to your self and animal to shoot again.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
I will always shoot again, because if the animal was to be lost and I knew I could have shot again, I would beat myself up forever.
forever? come on, they ARE just deer. We all do our best, but like I said, it's a deer.

Doesn't it make just as much sense to not cause a ton of motion, in getting another arrow, nocking it, drawing back? Obviously the deer didn't see you or even know what happened, so it will expire very very shortly. Plus, then you still have another arrow in case big louie comes in.

And no, the cost of the broadhead is not an issue, but if you know it's a good shot, why waste it?

· Registered
1,539 Posts
The more holes, the faster it drains!!!!! just my phillosophy.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
forever? come on, they ARE just deer. We all do our best, but like I said, it's a deer.

Doesn't it make just as much sense to not cause a ton of motion, in getting another arrow, nocking it, drawing back? Obviously the deer didn't see you or even know what happened, so it will expire very very shortly. Plus, then you still have another arrow in case big louie comes in.

And no, the cost of the broadhead is not an issue, but if you know it's a good shot, why waste it?
IMO, people who have the attitude "Its just a deer" don't deserve to hunt. You should have more respect for the animals you are hunting than to say "Its just a deer....who cares if it suffers a little while longer....it will probably die eventually":mad:
The problem with this post is that I've never made a perfect shot and had the deer only move 4 or 5 steps and then stop. If you did make a perfect shot, by the time that you carefully reach for another arrow (while watching the deer the whole time), nock the arrow, and get ready to shoot....if the deer is still standing there and not fallen over dead, your hit wasn't as good as you thought, so you better be putting another arrow in the deer if you can. No question about it, if you have an opportunity to put a second shot in the deer, do it. If nothing else you'll end up killing the deer that much more quickly and humanely.

· Registered
2,351 Posts
Finish the job

If I can get another arrow in it, I will. It does not matter the size of the animal, the cost of the arrow/broadhead combination. It also don't matter if it was a Deer, Elk, Turkey or any other animal. You made the commitment to take it's life when you put the first arrow in it. Follow through!

· Registered
8,583 Posts

Its funny how I see some post on here were guys try out there new broadheads on targets. And end up shooting more than one in the target and cutting vanes and busting arrows. And even loosing a few. But when it come time to put another one in animal its like a freaking piece of gold or something. Weird I tell ya .

Crazy Wolf.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.