Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried both and the only difference that I have noticed is my feet falling apart and froze half off from all the sweating that the rubber boots cause not being able to breath. Don't get me wrong I understand the concept of the rubber boots but the leather boots sure do give me a more pleasent hunt. I always spray them with scent killer and have had good success. I always tuck in my pants leg which ever pair I decide to wear. I think the biggest factor is the skin cells that fall out of your pants leg.
What is your experience? Which do you prefer?

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
BowHuntNut said:
I have tried both and the only difference that I have noticed is my feet falling apart and froze half off from all the sweating that the rubber boots cause not being able to breath. Don't get me wrong I understand the concept of the rubber boots but the leather boots sure do give me a more pleasent hunt. I always spray them with scent killer and have had good success. I always tuck in my pants leg which ever pair I decide to wear. I think the biggest factor is the skin cells that fall out of your pants leg.
What is your experience? Which do you prefer?
On the move to the bowhunting forum, where bowhunting posts should go!:wink:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I wear my rubber boots in the early season but when it starts to get real cold I go to the leather.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
LaCrosse Alfa Burly Sports are THE most comfortable rubber boots I've ever found and that's compared to even my leather boots. They truly are a joy to wear for extended periods of time! I have these awesome boots in a couple of different weights, uninsulated and 800 gram and there is nothing else I would rather wear. Now with these boots being offered in up to 1,200 gram, they would keep your feet as warm as they would comfortable. The key to making ANY rubber boot that much more comfortable is the proper socks.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
boots

I use a leather upper style with the rubber bottom half. Brown rubber goulashes over my leathers made by Lacrosse, this gave me the best of both worlds. Had to heat them up with a hair dryer to pull them over leathers, only problem was with mud, it was tough to grab hold of.

Goretex gaiters sprayed down with a scent-eliminator and leather can work too, need leather with the D hooks.

I hunt where you have too walk a ways to your stand and the rubbers give me trench foot.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I wear the Muck boots, and have not had any issue with them unless it is below zero. At that point I put on the pack boots.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Cornfed said:
LaCrosse Alfa Burly Sports are THE most comfortable rubber boots I've ever found and that's compared to even my leather boots. They truly are a joy to wear for extended periods of time! I have these awesome boots in a couple of different weights, uninsulated and 800 gram and there is nothing else I would rather wear. Now with these boots being offered in up to 1,200 gram, they would keep your feet as warm as they would comfortable. The key to making ANY rubber boot that much more comfortable is the proper socks.
I agree totally. I would have to go count to see how many pairs of LaCrosse I have. I do have a pair of the 1200's and they are nice:)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Rubber boots all the way.
From early season bow to late season ML hunting up in Vermont. (70*+F to below Zero at times)
I buy them a size or two bigger to add socks and/or air space as the temps dictate. The only time I have foot sweat issues is when its still in the 60s and 70s during early bow season.
I hunt out of stands 99% of the time so I do not stock around or walk all that much during the hunt; other then in and out of stand locations.

The morning dew in the long grass is so heavy that I might as well be wading to my stands in claf high puddles the eniter 600 to 800 yards of feilds I cross to get to the woods..
No leather boot would do it especialy if they were not well above your calf.
I realize spraying them does keep them water resistant but not water proof. Especially water proof like a rubber boot.
(Gortex boots not included in my opinions. LOL)
JMO

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
I have LaCrosse Alpha Burley's and the Muck boots, both are quality rubber boots.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i personally dont care for wearing knee high rubber boots i only wear them because its supposed to put less ground scent down,not sure if that is true or not by reading the eliminitrax web site.i think a good comfortable leather or cordura boot is much more comfortable but i cross creeks that can be almost knee high at times and even higher.in the early season i have uninsulated rubber boots and you dont want to walk to far as i sweat them up in a hurry and im in very good shape physically.i like the feel of a good tie boot where their is no slop feel to them at all.mine boots are lacrosse and the boot itself is made extremely good their close to 10 years old w/ hardly any wear but they are a son of a gun trying to take off at times escpecially when you sweat in them.solid rubber doesnt breathe

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Look at the bottom of hunting boots- they are for the most part rubber- same stuff that has contact with the ground on "rubber" boots. Besides, my bird dog could trail me wearing rubber boots like a 6 year old follows a sidewalk. If she is capable of that imagine waht a whitetail buck can do.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I always wore the Lacrosse burlys because That was the thing to do to cut down on scent. However, I find Danner Pronghorns warmer and breathable and much more comfy and no feet sweating...I spray em down good before I go hunting. The Burlys are a pain in the butt getting on and off. I have not seen a decline in my bow kills since wearing the Danners for the last few years.

Dave

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
LaCrosse Alpha Burley's yo!! comfy and easy to walk in!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I go rubber, but, typically don't have to deal with temps below 15 degrees - and that would be extremely cold for my part of the world. In that case I go with a pair of Rock Bear Claws 1000 grams thinsulate.

I also wear neoprene socks. My feet have always gotten cold and that's the only way I can keep 'em warm. Used to use a pair of Rock gortex socks, but, these keep me much warmer.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I've been using insulated rubber boots lately but I think leather is a lot more comfy for me.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I like my muck boots.very warm and dry and also very easy to get on and off.

·
Registered
933 Posts
rdneckhntr said:
I wear my rubber boots in the early season but when it starts to get real cold I go to the leather.
That's exactly what i do. Maybe some day i'll get a pair of nice insulated rubber boots instead of the $3 pair i got from walmart.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
love the danner pronghorns. the rubbers agitate my calves because they are too tight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts